Need help to find a standardized red dot

Ok, so I am not a big optics person but the time has come for me to enter the world of glass. However, to keep things simple (like I do with ammunition), so I am going to be standardizing on one. That leaves the matter of which one. I am planning to purchase several, test them in a variety of situations and pick the one best for me then do a bulk order on them. I plan to test them on my Hk 34, Hk 93, FAL, and maybe an AR-15. So what I would like from you all who are more experienced in red dots is some recommendations on which ones to try.

1. Zeiss/Hensoldt Z-point/RSA
2. EOTech XPS
3. Aimpoint T-1
Last edited by Nato on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

Re: Need help to find a standardized red dot

Depends on price. I second the Aimpoint PRO- great optic, reasonable price, awesome battery life. Rugged as Paul Bunyan. I've used and like the EOTechs and the Aimpoint Micro, and did like the Trijicon, although I don't see myself ponying up that cash, nor now dealing with that particular company after the Hobby Lobby fiasco.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Leupold Delta Point is what I've personal experience with...on a handgun, though I am told by Leupold that it is a very effective sight for a rifle platform as well. I find it an amazing aid, particularly insofar as I am horribly farsighted and as such normally have to crank my head back to use the appropriate portion of my glasses to even approximate the front sight...except the Delta Point renders that practice unnecessary.

Daughter's partner, a left leaning Sergeant in the Marine Corps "has some experience" with the Trijicon ACOG and according to him: "was really good". What exactly he meant by that I didn't ask. He did do some time (more than once I think) deployed to party central (Afghanistan) but doesn't talk about it. They are very spendy items...but then so is everything else on your list.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I usually tend to lean towards the Primary Arms red dot that's a clone of the Aimpoint Micro. Good price point but still solid quality and the folks at PA are top-notch on customer service.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

spara wrote:Another vote for the Primary Arms red dot, I've had mine for a year and its taken the abuse well.
I first read about it through a hilarious article (unfortunately no longer available) where the reviewer put it through all kinds of bizarre torture tests, including melting cheese over it.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.