Talk to me about gun vises

Okay. So I've been old school my whole life- always just cleaned on my bench. But it seems that I should take things a bit more seriously and get a vise of some sort. For my AR, I've just used the vise blocks in my regular bench vise, but obviously that doesn't work for anything else. Anyone have one they love? Would be cool to have a storage compartment below for all my cleaning crap that was removable, but haven't come across anything like it in my limited searching.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Talk to me about gun vises

Can't, don't have one. I use an ankle weight (sandbag type) to sandwich my rifle into a standard vice. It's been working well for as long as I have needed it. Dense enough such that with a minimum of compression it holds quite well without scratching...but then I am not trying to fuss with removing barrels or any highly torqued stuff.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I use a Tipton "Best" vise like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110829 ... t-gun-vise

... and that's a good price for it.

It holds my various long guns pretty securely and pretty much in the position I want them.

The base has several indentations and wells that are good for holding small parts, so they don't fall on the floor and get lost.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Ordered the Tipton and a plano cleaning storage case. Thanks for the feedback, I like the fact that it's got the channel so you can adjust everything- very handy and better than the base model.

As for Vices..... Well. Lots of them.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Elmo wrote:I use a Tipton "Best" vise like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110829 ... t-gun-vise

... and that's a good price for it.

It holds my various long guns pretty securely and pretty much in the position I want them.

The base has several indentations and wells that are good for holding small parts, so they don't fall on the floor and get lost.
That's the one I was trefering to. THought it was called the ultimate vise. Oh well.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.