Sticky and Ramora Holsters: Thoughts?

I'm considering one of these "clipless" holsters for my Shield. I like the pistol enough that I'd like to start training with it as a CCW.

This pistol is very thin and light. It seems a waste to mess that up with a holster that's bulkier than the gun itself. But I'm a little skeptical that these things actually work.

What are your experiences?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Sticky and Ramora Holsters: Thoughts?

I have a Remora (reinforced top) holster that I got a long time ago for a Ruger SR9c that fits the Shield well. Trigger is completely covered and it sits nice and deep. I have two Remora holsters and they work as advertised, staying in place and holding the guns securely, especially under pressure from a good belt. They do shift angle more than attached holsters but not significantly. Mine have a reinforced top that makes them a little less comfortable than the standard Remoras but allows one-handed holstering, which was important to me for training. The standard, soft holster tops will collapse when you remove the weapon and require two hands to safely holster.

The other problem with deep concealment IWB holsters like Remora is that it's difficult to get a good combat grip on the gun and a readjustment is usually required before firing. This was enough of an issue for me that I stopped using them and went to Kydex (or hybrid Leather/Kydex) for IWB and leather for OWB. Both holsters made by Irishman and allow a better grip, for me.

Some can draw and present their weapons just fine with sticky holsters but if I were asked to recommend a first CCW holster for training, Remora wouldn't be it. If bulk is an issue, I would recommend a simple Kydex IWB with a sturdy clip. An OWB holster is much easier to draw from but many like how the Shield completely disappears into a IWB. Train with what you plan to carry.

FYI, the specific holster I have is Remora Series-10ART "RFT" Holster (IWB). Don't know if this is the recommended model for the Shield but it fits well.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_20141010_160055_455.jpg
IMG_20141010_160113_551.jpg

I have several Remora fitting from Taurus Slims to M&P40C to full size i.e. S&W SDXXVE, All mine have full sweat shields (a must in Texas heat) and the ART cut which gives better access. I do not like nor have any of the RFT (reinforced top) due to bulkiness it causes (had one, sold it). I use mostly around home and for quick runs to store - have used all day in some cases while out and about. They are very versatile as to location from 6 to appendix and comfortable. They do stay where you put them unless you do a lot of bending, squatting and stooping or if your pants have a tendency to slip down a beer belly. However, if you're gonna be practicing to be quick draw McGraw, don't bother, even with a RFT - re-holstering is a PITA. If that's not your desire, then Remora is a reasonable choice and is great for knocking around at home in your skivvies on drawstring shorts or pants and a good CCW holster.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Since I will be training more than carrying, maybe I should opt for a more bulky holster, like FoxX or Everyday.
I'm not familiar with these specific brands, but are you considering only IWB or OWB as well? If there's one generalization that can be made about the two is that IWB is always (assuming quality is the same) more uncomfortable to wear and more difficult to draw from concealment (present).

If absolute, deep concealment is your highest priority, go with IWB. Otherwise, you should consider the other, especially for training. The Shield is a thin gun. A decent OWB holster that holds it tight to the body hides it very well. For example, I'm 6', 190ish lb. I frequently carry the Shield in an OWB holster in the summer with just a t-shirt for cover. It prints a little bit, but it's not identifiable as a gun unless you're really looking for it. My hybrid IWB makes it invisible, but presentation and holstering is much harder.

Also, don't eschew Kydex. Great holster material. They don't wear slide finish any more than leather, add less thickness than leather, impervious to elements, never wear out or lose rigidity, have good retention (that unlike leather, you can adjust at home with a hair dryer) and are frequently just as comfortable, even inside the waste band. A hybrid IWB model that increases contact area (decreasing pressure sensation) using leather or horsehide can be the best of both worlds. But now I'm rambling. Sorry. :)

Edit: Googled Foxx. Nice reviews. Seem like a good choice.

Sticky holsters are great for pocket carry but I wouldn't recommend them for IWB - you'll want a clip for that. Plus the Shield is a little big for pockets. I have an IWB Kydex for the PPS which is about the size of the Shield and it's actually pretty comfortable without adding bulk. The TCP I carry in a Sticky type holster and it just looks like a wallet in my pocket.

Thanks! I like this holster because it's cowhide and kydex and built for the Shield specifically. It should probably make draw drills fairly easy. Given my county's insane CCW requirements, it's unlikely that I would be all-day carrying anytime soon. However, I like the idea of doing CCW training in an end to itself or maybe as a way into shooting competitions.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I have two different kydex holsters for my shield. Both from cooks holsters in GA. I have a IWB kydex with the adjustable clip and the OWB comfort holster. I am a believer that there is not a one holster for all uses as there is not one gun for all uses either. I have found that unless it's real hot I use the OWB holster most of carrying the shield and it's pretty much invisible if wearing a long enough shirt. I have it in FDE and if I wear khakis it's not noticeable. Way more comfortable than IWB.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled