PJ Holsters?

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm considering getting an IWB from them. For the cost, it isn't bad. I'm used to seeing triple digit prices on holsters, but that also has me a bit worried.

Here's the link to their site.

The one I'm looking at is (something like) this:

I'm torn between the tuckable (shown) and the non-tuckable version. The former is probably more dual purpose since you don't have to tuck...

Bae
Proud member of the SCCY Brigade.

Re: PJ Holsters?

We have a couple of leather craftspeople here who do wonderful work...

I have something similar to what you are considering, a Galco kydex something or other, and while it works, it is uncomfortable, very uncomfortable.

Best solution I know of in the quest for the perfect holster: Try before you buy.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

pJ's was taking FOREVER to ship. Like months. Not sure if he got more employees or what. Try Cooks holsters out of Georgia. I have two or three and he ships quickly and they are $50 ish. Im going to try and order from Alpha Carry Sytems. Found them on Ebay and Ill give them a try. They have holsters listed for under $40. What gun are you getting the holster for. If its nothing weird try on ebay alot of new kydex holster makers start out selling there. Usually cheaper than the establishd places. I really cant see why some are worth over a hundo since the material cost is low and they really dont take alot to make.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

rolandson wrote:We have a couple of leather craftspeople here who do wonderful work...

I have something similar to what you are considering, a Galco kydex something or other, and while it works, it is uncomfortable, very uncomfortable.

Best solution I know of in the quest for the perfect holster: Try before you buy.
Definitely... I've had two holsters from Comp-Tac. One was a paddle for a G19 and the other was an IWB for a full-size Kimber 1911. I never really enjoyed either, so I guess it's pretty idiotic to go with kydex again! :lol:

Leather has always been a temptress... They've been taunting me with their good looks for years, but I just haven't taken the dive. There's one that's nice from Fist Holsters. The cost has always been a prohibitive thing, but it's one of those things that's an investment, yeah?

I like how close it keeps it to your body. But there's that constant battle of IWB v. OWB. I also have the issue that I have a satchel that is cross-body so it rests on my right-side. (Half the reason why I'm considering training as a Southpaw since I'm left eye dominate anyway...)

Decisions, decisions...

rltriumph wrote:pJ's was taking FOREVER to ship. Like months. Not sure if he got more employees or what. Try Cooks holsters out of Georgia. I have two or three and he ships quickly and they are $50 ish. Im going to try and order from Alpha Carry Sytems. Found them on Ebay and Ill give them a try. They have holsters listed for under $40. What gun are you getting the holster for. If its nothing weird try on ebay alot of new kydex holster makers start out selling there. Usually cheaper than the establishd places. I really cant see why some are worth over a hundo since the material cost is low and they really dont take alot to make.
The pistol's a SCCY CPX-2. ;)

Glad to know they're taking forever to ship since his site says only 4-5 weeks currently. I'll take a look at Cooks. :) ((Did a quick look just now and saw they make for the SCCY. Bonus points already.)) I'll check out ACS after I'm don't snooping around Cook's.

One of the main reasons why I'm leaning kydex is due to humidity where I live during the summer, spring and... well shit, fall too. Winter we get lots of rain so... yeah, I guess it's year round. A bit scared/hesitant to go with leather, but the more I look at them, the more I lean that way! :wall:

I sweat like a fat pig lr a whore in church. Leather holsters for me dont last real long. I have both a iwb and owb for my M&P Sheild both from Cooks. The OWB is their comfort series OWB holster and honestly it is. I can wear it with an untucked shirt and you cant see it. I believe the owb comfort can be worn IWB if you get the hardware but dont quote me on that. I also have an IWB for both the Sheild and my S&W bodyguard .380. It kinda depends where you put it. About 5 oclock it is very comfortable. There is no reason a holster should take more than 2 weeks to ship. As I said try EBAY thats how I found Cooks holsters. He is a former car mechanic that got laid off and started making holsters. Quality is good and he is expanding. I keep trying to find new guys in case one gets to big and starts taking forever to ship. There is also a new one im going to check out called Kestrel holsters. He does some cool looking two toned IWB holsters that are like $40. Good luck and youll end up with a drawer full of holsters in no time.

I can happily recommend both:
http://www.soterialeather.com
and
http://woodenleather.com/about

The fomer, an IWB given to me as a gift, quickly dispelled my assumption that IWB was uncomfortable. I never thought that something like that would actually conceal and be comfortable, and I was wrong. Plastic is uncomfortable; the one made by this lady I forget I have on.

The latter has been with the club and forum for many years and does superior quality work for far less $ than I expected ...goes by the nameof Irishman.

ETA:
Cost, regardless of material, is relative. One well made holster that serves the user for many years is almost always cheaper than a drawer full of failures.

The opportunity either try the thing out or a solid "customer friendly" return policy is quite valuable.... if it effectively saves one from amassing a collection.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rltriumph wrote:<<snip>> The OWB is their comfort series OWB holster and honestly it is. I can wear it with an untucked shirt and you cant see it. I believe the owb comfort can be worn IWB if you get the hardware but dont quote me on that.
I saw that one... it looked bulky as heck, but I'll take a closer look at it again. I'm really sold on the customization you can do to their holsters. I'm really impressed with that. Especially how you can get images printed on them! That's got me thinking about a few things...
rolandson wrote:I can happily recommend both:
http://www.soterialeather.com
and
http://woodenleather.com/about

The fomer, an IWB given to me as a gift, quickly dispelled my assumption that IWB was uncomfortable. I never thought that something like that would actually conceal and be comfortable, and I was wrong. Plastic is uncomfortable; the one made by this lady I forget I have on.

The latter has been with the club and forum for many years and does superior quality work for far less $ than I expected ...goes by the name of Irishman.
Wooow... I adore the first person's quality. Holy crap... I wonder if they could make one for the SCCY even if it's not listed? I'll have to contact them and see... Same with Irishman.

In the mean time... if I don't force myself into bed, my partner is going to use my own pistol on me! :lol:

One consideration, kydex clips have a tendency to break. I see that the first manufacturer you looked at has started reinforcing them, so maybe that solves it, but it also adds bulk and thickness.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

Might want to consider a hybrid for iwb as well. Alien gear, shtf, and bullseye are all good brands, the two clip hybrid iwb is pretty darned comfortable.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have a PJ holster for my XDS. And, yes, it took FOREVER to ship--like 8 weeks. But, it's a very nicely made kydex holster.

You may also want to try Cooks or On your six holster. They make similar kydex single clip holsters and have faster turn around times.

Bucolic wrote:If you love leather, I mean, if you really love leather, these guys are great. I have one for my departed XDM which thankfully fits my CZ nearly perfectly. This is beautiful leather with lots of tooling options.

They are pricey and slow but might be worth considering.

http://dmbullardleather.com//
What's nice is we've a family member who leaves southwest-ish of Dallas and a friend who lives northeast of Arlington... I'll definitely swing by their store in the future since it's "near" both of them!
shinzen wrote:Might want to consider a hybrid for iwb as well. Alien gear, shtf, and bullseye are all good brands, the two clip hybrid iwb is pretty darned comfortable.
Alien Gear, SHTF and Bullseye all have SCCY holsters! Woohoo! :yahoo: -bookmarks them all-
Tompo1015 wrote:I have a PJ holster for my XDS. And, yes, it took FOREVER to ship--like 8 weeks. But, it's a very nicely made kydex holster.

You may also want to try Cooks or On your six holster. They make similar kydex single clip holsters and have faster turn around times.
It's good to know that someone's used/using PJ's holsters... So I guess they're still on the list, but definitely farther down due to long waits... (Leather, I'll wait for!)

On Your Six gets bonus points for already having a SCCY on their gun list, hahaha! All three of those companies do, but yeah. Another bonus point for being within driving reach!

---

With all that said, thank you guys so much for all these holster makers! I've been hitting major blocks just searching through Google for whatever reason. At least I know there's a pretty good selection out there! I'd give out hugs, but not sure how that'd go. :lol:

:thanks:

If y'all have more suggestions, I'm definitely all ears! As rltriumph said: I'm probably going to end up with a drawer of these things... ACCESSORIES!!! Erm... -coughs- :blush:

One thing I'll point out- the style you originally posted- I've got one similar from bullseye- it really increases the depth for an IWB carry. It wouldn't be a big deal for a pocket 380, but for my CZ it makes it pretty uncomfortable, which is why I mentioned the dual clip setup.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:One thing I'll point out- the style you originally posted- I've got one similar from bullseye- it really increases the depth for an IWB carry. It wouldn't be a big deal for a pocket 380, but for my CZ it makes it pretty uncomfortable, which is why I mentioned the dual clip setup.
Ooo... you know... didn't ever really consider gravity. O.O It'd probably rock back and forth too, huh? That was one concern I had about single clips: not sliding back and forth along the belt.

I mis-phrased that, sorry. Yes, it is slightly deeper, but not substantially so, that's probably just differences in manufacturer preferences. I meant width- the way they have to engineer the kydex single clip to make it sturdy enough makes the holster itself thicker. That means bigger jeans or lose a few pounds, or else it's more uncomfortable. The reason for it is that the clip sees most of the strain, so it's thicker than the rest of the holster. It's not a massive difference, but for me it's enough of one to want the dual clip setup for all iwb carry personally.

It moves a bit on the belt, but not a ton- it's fairly snug and secure when you have it positioned right.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:I mis-phrased that, sorry. Yes, it is slightly deeper, but not substantially so, that's probably just differences in manufacturer preferences. I meant width- the way they have to engineer the kydex single clip to make it sturdy enough makes the holster itself thicker. That means bigger jeans or lose a few pounds, or else it's more uncomfortable. The reason for it is that the clip sees most of the strain, so it's thicker than the rest of the holster. It's not a massive difference, but for me it's enough of one to want the dual clip setup for all iwb carry personally.

It moves a bit on the belt, but not a ton- it's fairly snug and secure when you have it positioned right.
Ohhh... got it. :)

I'm on a weight loss quest anyway, but yeah, that's definitely a valid point to consider!

Iwb you kinda want it to move a little bit. If it dowsnt when you sit or move instead of flexing with you it will pich. I would rather spend more money on a good belt than alot on a holster. I dont care if you have a $200 holster if its on a shiity belt that wont support it it will be uncomfortable no matter what. And yes any IWB holster your gonna need a bigger pair of pants. Thats why I am actually prefering the OWB holsters now. Even with a long t shirt thats baggy enough it conceals well and is definatly more comfortable than any IWB. My weight varies enough I generally have 2 or 3 different pants sizes in the closet anyway so during the summer when working outside I drop enough that the winter sized jeans work with the IWB holsters. Summer is about the only time I wear IWB.

rltriumph wrote:<<snip>>

I would rather spend more money on a good belt than alot on a holster. I dont care if you have a $200 holster if its on a shiity belt that wont support it it will be uncomfortable no matter what. ... [D]uring the summer when working outside I drop enough that the winter sized jeans work with the IWB holsters. Summer is about the only time I wear IWB.
Yeah... I hear ya on both of those. I've been trying to find a good gun belt but since everyone practically makes one, it's just a matter of finding one that matches my tastes. During the summer, I'm basically a fishing shirt, cargo short, panama hat, and sandals guy.

I'm glad I'm getting all this good info! It's been a while since I've carried, so yeah... just a bit rusty. :blush:

KnightsFan wrote:If you're going to look at alien gear keep their two holster deal in mind. You can pick up a nice IWB and an OWB plus two separate kydex shells that can be swapped. Get the equivalent of 4 holsters for about $50.
Thanks for that- just placed another an order with them. Replacing my Bullseye holster now!

ETA: Actually I ordered a SHTF last time. We'll see how the alien gear is, hopefully not too terrible given the comment below.
- Maya Angelou

KnightsFan wrote:If you're going to look at alien gear keep their two holster deal in mind. You can pick up a nice IWB and an OWB plus two separate kydex shells that can be swapped. Get the equivalent of 4 holsters for about $50.
Getting a left handed IWB and OWB from them I think because that's just a steal. I mean, normally one holster will run you that much. Even with accessories like different clips to experiment with, the total's under $80 and that could easily still be only one holster for many instances.

Really glad this company was suggested.

Have you actually touched a alien gear holster they are cheap for a reason. Not kydex and the "leather" is as low grade as you can get. There are plenty that are not much more money for better fit and finish.