Belly Bands?

Alright. I'm a road cyclist. Yes, I wear a jersey. Yes, I wear those tight shorts. Get your laughs out and lets move on. :laugh:

I want to carry while riding. I've never been able to own a gun that could allow that, really, until now. So I'm on the market for one that's reliable and one that's durable. This thing is going to be taking a beating and honestly, if it works well enough, may become my main mode of carrying.

There are like... millions of these things out there. So, any users out there that could recommend one? The biggest issue I'll have is finding one that'll work with my gun -- especially if they're fitted. If there is one that helps mitigate sweat issues (backing for the gun area, etc) that would be ideal.

Suggestions?

I've found a few (DeSantis, Daltech Force, Andre's Holsters, Bulldog,...) but... I'd like others opinions. :D
Proud member of the SCCY Brigade.

Re: Belly Bands?

Baekgu, my question is how well the belly band would work in the 'rider's position.' Since your spine would be in a forward bend, it seems like it might pop the gun out.

Please let us know how this works out.

Have you ever thought of a holster that attached to the bike???
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Mason wrote:I carry a Kimber defender in my jersey pocket. Light, cheap and good for both dogs and the very unlikely event of human attack.
Tried looking that up and all I got was a short-run beta version of the CDP or something along those lines. Is that it?
Inquisitor wrote:I carry a seecamp 32 though the sig might replace it. I put it in a belly pack.
Cute little gun! I was/am considering a special pistol just for this and that is now on the list. :) Thanks!
Hiker wrote:Baekgu, my question is how well the belly band would work in the 'rider's position.' Since your spine would be in a forward bend, it seems like it might pop the gun out.

Please let us know how this works out.

Have you ever thought of a holster that attached to the bike???
Very valid question. The shorts I wear are the bib version so the shorts are held up by, basically, suspenders. The belly band could go on the outside of these or on the inside. If on the inside, the jersey would have to be pulled up higher but it would be a much more snug fit against the gun. It slipping out is a real worry but a lot of these seem to grip on to them pretty well, especially since runner use them and they bob up and down harshly during their strides. If I get one, I'll give a test run and see how it goes. I'm still in the process of writing two more articles for this pistol, so that'll definitely be added. :)

The worry I have about the holster being attached to the bike is if the rider (me or anyone else who decides to carry this way) is knocked from the bike. The most common way to mug a cyclist, especially one going fast, is to throw something in the front or rear wheel. That catches the spokes and halts the bike. Ideally, they'd hit the front wheel as that would literally flip the bike (with or without rider). Regardless, the end result is usually the same: the cyclist being separated from the bike. And usually by a decent distance. If it's attached to the bike via a bento box, handlebar bag, seat post bag, etc, that gun is now in their hands.

An interesting idea would be to do that but have it as a decoy: a derringer with blanks or snap caps. They see it and go for it and in the confusion of it not working, that's additional time to pull the real, working pistol. Hollywood scheme, hahaha! :laugh:

Have you considered one of these ??
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Baekgu wrote:
The worry I have about the holster being attached to the bike is if the rider (me or anyone else who decides to carry this way) is knocked from the bike. The most common way to mug a cyclist, especially one going fast, is to throw something in the front or rear wheel. That catches the spokes and halts the bike. Ideally, they'd hit the front wheel as that would literally flip the bike (with or without rider). Regardless, the end result is usually the same: the cyclist being separated from the bike. And usually by a decent distance. If it's attached to the bike via a bento box, handlebar bag, seat post bag, etc, that gun is now in their hands.

An interesting idea would be to do that but have it as a decoy: a derringer with blanks or snap caps. They see it and go for it and in the confusion of it not working, that's additional time to pull the real, working pistol. Hollywood scheme, hahaha! :laugh:
I am not a very experienced rider, and I did not know about bike muggings. This definitely changes my mind on the holster thing for a bike. Thank you so much for the info. (I love this forum--there's so much wisdom here)
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote:
Baekgu wrote:

I am not a very experienced rider, and I did not know about bike muggings. This definitely changes my mind on the holster thing for a bike. Thank you so much for the info. (I love this forum--there's so much wisdom here)
No worries. :D Thankfully it hasn't happened to me, but in Houston along the bayou trails, there were strings of cyclist muggings. The community was on edge for a while and their tactics quickly spread. Chunks of trails that were heavily used for years were suddenly vacant as cyclists that normally never cycled on the roads pitted with HRCs (Houston Road Craters) took the plunge and did so. Between cops and more awareness, the community recovered but it's still left a bitter taste. (It also showed which cops actually cared about us and which ones had a less than flattering opinion about cyclists...)

((Was about to get on the trainer... but our cat decided to make me her bed... *sighs* I can't say no to the purring...))

Hiker wrote:
Baekgu wrote:

Here in St. Louis they occasionally jump out from around a corner or from behind a tree or bush with a baseball bat and take you off the bike. I always ride with either a gun on me. Which if I still rode a diamond frame and did not have to change to a recumbent after spinal cord, spine, back, and other damage that left me a gimp, it wouldn't be so bad as I have it in the small of my back. But with a recumbent you side as if your in a comfy chair, so it presses on that area, especially when going up hills.

But a funny story about a bike attack. They tried to bat a girl off her bike in the park a while back, she was able to see them coming and dumped the bike. Then she got up, took the bat away from the teenagers and proceeded to beat his ass , as she was a multi level black belt!
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

lurker wrote:please do not explain how you pull the trigger on that thing.

bet you'll never watch Modern Family the same way again LOL yes, that's Sofía Vergara in the movie, Machete Kills..
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I bought one and like it because I hat belts and I wear lululemon pants most of the time. Had to modify it a touch with a sewing machine it is more comfortable than a lot of holsters and almost no movement.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LAJX30/ref ... 290W&psc=1

for this price, it might be worth trying the belly band. I am going to order one for this riding season. Yeah, Im a wussy in my older years. I no loner ride in the snow and cold..
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote: Here in St. Louis they occasionally jump out from around a corner or from behind a tree or bush with a baseball bat and take you off the bike. I always ride with either a gun on me. Which if I still rode a diamond frame and did not have to change to a recumbent after spinal cord, spine, back, and other damage that left me a gimp, it wouldn't be so bad as I have it in the small of my back. But with a recumbent you side as if your in a comfy chair, so it presses on that area, especially when going up hills.

But a funny story about a bike attack. They tried to bat a girl off her bike in the park a while back, she was able to see them coming and dumped the bike. Then she got up, took the bat away from the teenagers and proceeded to beat his ass , as she was a multi level black belt!
Sorry to hear about the injury. I've seen a lot of recumbent riders and they're usually better folks than the group I normally deal with: cocky road bikers with $7000+ bikes that think they're the shit 'cause they've got the gear. Usually when I see one of y'all I get out in front at crossings to make sure cars (or other things) at least see me because then they see the recumbent by default. Those flags just aren't enough sometimes. I've heard one to many near miss stories. :(

That is a funny story! :laugh: Gotta love it when the possible bad turns into an awesome ending.
Paladin wrote:I bought one and like it because I hat belts and I wear lululemon pants most of the time. Had to modify it a touch with a sewing machine it is more comfortable than a lot of holsters and almost no movement.
Those are some nice pants. :shock: Had to look them up... funnily enough they're in the Galleria. Might have to swing by their sometimes. What did you have to modify? What kind of shirt to you wear with it and what's your pistol? Sorry for the question barrage, just want to get a feel for this kind of thing.
dandad wrote: for this price, it might be worth trying the belly band. I am going to order one for this riding season. Yeah, Im a wussy in my older years. I no loner ride in the snow and cold..
Man... if you're a wussy in your older years, then I must've been born a whimp. :laughs: I can't bring myself to ride out in the cold, let alone the snow. Main reason why I've got an indoor trainer, short of rainy days.

Baekgu wrote:
dandad wrote: Sorry to hear about the injury. I've seen a lot of recumbent riders and they're usually better folks than the group I normally deal with: cocky road bikers with $7000+ bikes that think they're the shit 'cause they've got the gear. Usually when I see one of y'all I get out in front at crossings to make sure cars (or other things) at least see me because then they see the recumbent by default. Those flags just aren't enough sometimes. I've heard one to many near miss stories. :(

That is a funny story! :laugh: Gotta love it when the possible bad turns into an awesome ending.[/qoute]

Yeah, a lot of bikers seem to think they are invisible, Ive been riding for ages, use to ride 25+ miles every day after work and do at least a century on the weekends,but I never had the balls to tangle with a 2000 pound car. However, today I know way to many that think its their right to blast stop signs and intersections, or ride like morons in moving traffic. I cant tell you how many when ask tell me " But its harder for me to get started than it is for a car" To which my reply is, "if your so lazy, why ride to begin with?" Worst was I use to volunteer at a place called Bike Works here in the city. We rebuilt bikes for kids whose parents couldnt afford them. We would teach them how to safely ride and even work on their own bikes. When they completed the course they would get the bike for free. But so many of the people who were volunteering there were what I would call the dangerous riders, and would teach the right way, but then always add their comments or show their techniques on doing dangerously stupid things when riding in traffic, and on group rides would almost always try to promote running stop signs with the use of a lead rider to spot the intersection ahead of time and decide if it was clear for all to ride through. I just couldnt be part of that, no matter how good the main objective of the group was.

I dont have the flag .. I use to live in a small southern Illinois town and rode a lot out in the country along the Mississippi bottoms, never had much problems with cars then, so I never bothered with a flag. But being here in the city maybe I should though. I know sometimes I dont even notice a bicyclist because there are so many other things distracting me when driving. Like other drivers :lol:
dandad wrote: for this price, it might be worth trying the belly band. I am going to order one for this riding season. Yeah, Im a wussy in my older years. I no loner ride in the snow and cold..
Man... if you're a wussy in your older years, then I must've been born a whimp. :laughs: I can't bring myself to ride out in the cold, let alone the snow. Main reason why I've got an indoor trainer, short of rainy days.

I still have my winter riding clothes, however I doubt I would still fit into them lol. I use to ride in temps as low as 17 degrees. its cold at first, but after a couple minutes its nice. What really sucks is when you stop and the sweat starts to evaporate and freeze onto your clothing.
I wont go out until its at least 50 degrees , and I usually wear cargo shorts when I ride now. In my 50s and being a gimp limits my physical activity the love handles have won over, so I dont even want to think of myself in spandex riding clothing these days though. . That would be a scary sight :roflmao:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote: I still have my winter riding clothes, however I doubt I would still fit into them lol. I use to ride in temps as low as 17 degrees. its cold at first, but after a couple minutes its nice. What really sucks is when you stop and the sweat starts to evaporate and freeze onto your clothing.
I wont go out until its at least 50 degrees , and I usually wear cargo shorts when I ride now. In my 50s and being a gimp limits my physical activity the love handles have won over, so I dont even want to think of myself in spandex riding clothing these days though. . That would be a scary sight :roflmao:
I couldn't ever imagine riding in 17 degrees! :shock: Maybe if it were an emergency and something had to get done. But for recreation? Okay... imagine this. If you've seen A Christmas Story, imagine Randy Parker all wrapped up in clothing. That'd be me in 17 degrees. :roflmao:

Love handles aside, what counts is you're still on your bike and enjoying it. :thumbup: Cycling, like shooting, is one of those things that gets in you and just doesn't want to leave.

Paladin wrote:I bought one and like it because I hat belts and I wear lululemon pants most of the time. Had to modify it a touch with a sewing machine it is more comfortable than a lot of holsters and almost no movement.
Those are some nice pants. :shock: Had to look them up... funnily enough they're in the Galleria. Might have to swing by their sometimes. What did you have to modify? What kind of shirt to you wear with it and what's your pistol? Sorry for the question barrage, just want to get a feel for this kind of thing.

i am always a weird size large is too small Clare too big. I was pointing out that they are easy enough to size correctly. Just fold it over on itself and sew it up.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer