Morakniv

I've slowly been outfitting an emergency bag in the trunk of my car, and finally decided to pull the trigger on purchasing a decent survival knife. I went with a Morakniv Bushcraft. I'd never heard of the brand before, but looked into them and apparently they're fairly well regarded. This is the version I went with, and here is the Amazon listing. Anyone else have experience with them?

"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Re: Morakniv

nice looking. dont know anything about them though. What they asking for it on Amazon?
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Moras are famous in knife circles. The company was formed when two companies, Eriksson and Frost, in Mora, Sweden merged. I have two Erikssons and a Mora No 1. Good Scandinavian grind knives at an affordable price point. You made a good choice

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

dandad wrote:nice looking. dont know anything about them though. What they asking for it on Amazon?
About $30. But it'll change based on the color. They actually sell a survival version with a sharpening stone and a flint. But it was twice the price. Instead I bought a Zippo and UCO matches.

If this one turns out to be as nice as I think it'll be I night end up buying another of their knives. The prices can't be beat. I just wish they had a folder.

Spara, do you have the stainless steel or carbon?
-Willa Cather

Wow, for $15 the carbon steel blade version is a friggin deal! I guess for occasional use and/or if you don't hunt and don't know how to sharpen a knife the stainless is a better deal. For those of us who do... I don't need a new hunting knife, I use the carbon steel Tramontina I've had since I was eight years old, but this is tingling my mindless consumption nerve BIG time.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Wow, for $15 the carbon steel blade version is a friggin deal! I guess for occasional use and/or if you don't hunt and don't know how to sharpen a knife the stainless is a better deal. For those of us who do... I don't need a new hunting knife, I use the carbon steel Tramontina I've had since I was eight years old, but this is tingling my mindless consumption nerve BIG time.
As long as you keep the blade clean and oiled, a good carbon steel knife will last forever :) My daily carry pocket knife is stainless since it gets sweat on it but other than that I do prefer carbon steel blades.

KnightsFan wrote:
dandad wrote:nice looking. dont know anything about them though. What they asking for it on Amazon?
About $30. But it'll change based on the color. They actually sell a survival version with a sharpening stone and a flint. But it was twice the price. Instead I bought a Zippo and UCO matches.

If this one turns out to be as nice as I think it'll be I night end up buying another of their knives. The prices can't be beat. I just wish they had a folder.

Spara, do you have the stainless steel or carbon?
I have the carbon version. I generally prefer carbon, I think they're easier to keep sharp.

KnightsFan, I think you have a fine knife. I have that Marakniv Companion model and I love it. I mainly use it in the garden. It has the best feeling handle of any knife I have ever owned. If I had any complaint it would be that the sheath comes up too high on the handle. I have to use my fingers to draw it, but I would rather be able to put my whole hand on the grip to draw it.

Besides having a good knife, I want to affirm you for having an emergency bag in your car. Smart liberal people need to survive disasters.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Car kits should be focused on likely needs rather than end of the world needs. I keep a knife, water, band-aids, a small air compressor, pliers, screw drivers, tape, zip ties, etc.

I knew a guy who always carried a 2.5 ton floor jack, splints, field surgical kit, flares, etc. He had all the props for TEOTWAWKI but died of a respiratory ailment due to avoiding the doctor.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

You all influenced me. I am always wanting a blade that can do what a razor knife can do and my Bucks and Cases just do not sharpen that well or have a useful sized blade. (As a woodworker I do know how to sharpen stuff - I have water stones all there way up to 8000.) So, I just bought this on Amazon for the truck - the reviews on Amazon were as good as anything I have ever seen. (My little Victorinox does get used a great deal.)

Thank you all - looking forward to getting it. I too agree that a survival bag is a must - I carry a really good first aid kit, an extra hoody, some towels, water, a box of mini mags, etc. If only I could put a firearm in there that could not be stolen :) - I just have to remember to carry my Model 17 or Marlin 60.

I was tempted to go with the carbon version, but being in Florida I'm always thinking about corrosion and rust from humidity and salt, so I went with the stainless version.

My car bag is definitely focused on realistic scenarios. It has blankets, extra clothes, hand warmers, first aid kit, duck tape, a compass etc. I usually have at least a 20 Oz bottle of water on me anyway, and when traveling more than my usual 5 miles to work and back I'll have that, plus a Nalgene style 32 Oz bottle and another 20 Oz bottle. My next step is going to get lifeboat rations, a breaker bar, roadside lights and a safety vest. Some of that will obviously just be in my trunk.

Of course this bag does double duty as my hiking pack, so on occasion it gets cleaned out and the stuff left in my trunk.
-Willa Cather

KnightsFan wrote:Of course this bag does double duty as my hiking pack, so on occasion it gets cleaned out and the stuff left in my trunk.
Maybe stop by GoodWill and pick up a cheap duffel to leave in the car.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
KnightsFan wrote:Of course this bag does double duty as my hiking pack, so on occasion it gets cleaned out and the stuff left in my trunk.
That's a thought. :hmmm: right now I just have one of those trunk organizers for the overflow and when it's emotied, but a duffel could work even better.
-Willa Cather

KnightsFan wrote:
Mason wrote:
That's a thought. :hmmm: right now I just have one of those trunk organizers for the overflow and when it's emotied, but a duffel could work even better.
Easier to bring if you have to leave your car.

That was my thought behind the backpack. But now that I think about it I could just split the gear. Heavy stuff that I only need for the car in the duffel. Stuff I use for both in the backpack.
-Willa Cather

I try to keep a really simple emergency kit, (poncho, space blanket, Bic lighter, few boxes of matches, some batteries, flashlight, chapstick) in one of those waterproof durable plastic bags, and tie a Leatherman Wave to the loop it's attached to. I figure that keeps the fire-stuff, warm-stuff, and dry-stuff dry and the multitool accessible. It's not got everything you could possibly need or use, but seems like a decent choice if you're temporarily stranded in your car (in most cases where you'd need this stuff, moving away from your car is not the best decision).

Came in today, here are a couple of quick photos.

Compared to my Gerber Paraframe.

And inside of the sheath.

It seems to lock into the sheath well enough, but no click or anything. A good shaken or bump might knock it out if it's upside down. Didn't realize that the belt loop will rotate a full 360°.

It carved up the cardboard box fairly well out of the packaging. As well as the soft plastic wrapper.
-Willa Cather