Short review of three holsters

Ok, so in the last 4 or 5 months, I've picked up a few different holsters for different purposes.

1) SHTF Gear for my Sig P238- $60
Seems to be well made, thick cowhide leather, and the kydex portion is perfectly formed to my P238. Out of the three brands, they are easily my favorite of the three. Adjustable ride height, although I found the factory setup to be good to go for me. Allows for a good, easy grip to pull it out, and re-holstering is pretty easy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008P6 ... UTF8&psc=1

2) Bullseye holster for my CZ P-01 $40
Also seems to be well made, it's a less expensive than the SHTF Gear holster. The leather quality is fine. However, this particular holster uses a single, non-adjustable clip. In order to make that secure enough, the Kydex is thick- it makes the clip stick out from the holster another 1/2" or so, making it a little more uncomfortable, and much more of a compromise when it comes to concealment. Plan on a larger size of pants and belt if you go this route. It is a more flexible design, and can go behind the back or up front, depending on your preference.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNT ... UTF8&psc=1

3) Alien Gear combo holster $50
This one is appealing because you get two holsters and can swap out the kydex on either to change between guns. The OWB holster is good to go, nice thick leather, kydex, like the other two, seems perfectly formed and of good quality. Where this one fails completely is on the IWB neoprene/leather backing. It feels fine, if a little floppy, with the leather tab that protects where the hammer is being a little too long. Doesn't make for an easy draw, but not a deal killer.

However, when it comes to re-holstering the gun, I'd go so far as to call it unsafe. Because the leather/neoprene is so thin, it is impossible to re-holster the gun without some dangerous moves. The leather closes up against the kydex with the pressure from your body, so it's a two handed operation, or some folks may try to wiggle the gun in. Either way, you're putting your hands or body at risk. Perhaps the other version that is leather only is better, but I can't recommend the one I got at all.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... combo.html

Just my experience, figured that with other folks looking as well for holsters it was worth sharing.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Short review of three holsters

Agreed. At this point I think I've only got about 10 of them, but these were the three I've got for concealment, outside of my Remora, which is really only for pocket pistols, but it works as advertised as well
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:............................................................

3) Alien Gear combo holster $50
This one is appealing because you get two holsters and can swap out the kydex on either to change between guns. The OWB holster is good to go, nice thick leather, kydex, like the other two, seems perfectly formed and of good quality. Where this one fails completely is on the IWB neoprene/leather backing. It feels fine, if a little floppy, with the leather tab that protects where the hammer is being a little too long. Doesn't make for an easy draw, but not a deal killer.

However, when it comes to re-holstering the gun, I'd go so far as to call it unsafe. Because the leather/neoprene is so thin, it is impossible to re-holster the gun without some dangerous moves. The leather closes up against the kydex with the pressure from your body, so it's a two handed operation, or some folks may try to wiggle the gun in. Either way, you're putting your hands or body at risk. Perhaps the other version that is leather only is better, but I can't recommend the one I got at all.
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear ... combo.html

Just my experience, figured that with other folks looking as well for holsters it was worth sharing.
The AG leather is a much better holster than the 2.0 neoprene. One of the reasons I sold off my Crossbreed's was because of the limp leather and the riveted Kydex shell. I'd have sent the AG back for exchange - they are really good in the customer service and warranty area, Can't say I'm impressed with their OWB - too much (size wise) holster for my liking. I believe AG has the best plastic molding around and like that the muzzle is also protected.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Yeah, I can't speak to the leather version. I hadn't contacted AG, as every holster company I've worked with won't let you return if there's any wear, and with the leather being that soft, the wear shows up the first time you holster it. I did send them some feedback on the issue, we'll see if they have anything to say about the issue.
- Maya Angelou

In the first 30 days, AG won't blink an eye for a return - they will do it. As a matter of fact I'd almost bet they will still exchange the backing for leather, and if not. you could buy just the leather. I've found them very amenable and helpful.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Quick update, although they did take about 10 days to get back to my inquiry, they are willing to exchange the neoprene for the leather. I'll update again when I've gotten the new piece- a definite plus on the customer service front, as I was over 30 days.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Quick update, although they did take about 10 days to get back to my inquiry, they are willing to exchange the neoprene for the leather. I'll update again when I've gotten the new piece- a definite plus on the customer service front, as I was over 30 days.
Kool!!