I need a new bag, help me find one

So I need a new book bag/rucksack/messenger bag/strapped conveyance for carrying things. I'm not super picky, but I want to not look like a mall ninja. This bag will be used when I travel (as I'm flying a few times this summer) so it needs to fit in an overhead bin (i.e. no framed backpacks). I really like the construction of the maxpedition and some of the 5.11 bags, but again I don't want the mall ninja look, and since I'm not an operator of operations operationally operating I don't need (or want) molle attachment points.

I'm looking for either a messenger bag style, bookbag/ruck style or the murse by any other name maxpedition versipack style. Doesn't need to be too spacious, just enough for some text books, my 10.5 inch tablet, some chargers and other odds an ends.

So...suggestions? (budget = I don't want to spend over 200 bucks)

Re: I need a new bag, help me find one

GravyBoat wrote:So I need a new book bag/rucksack/messenger bag/strapped conveyance for carrying things. I'm not super picky, but I want to not look like a mall ninja. This bag will be used when I travel (as I'm flying a few times this summer) so it needs to fit in an overhead bin (i.e. no framed backpacks). I really like the construction of the maxpedition and some of the 5.11 bags, but again I don't want the mall ninja look, and since I'm not an operator of operations operationally operating I don't need (or want) molle attachment points.

I'm looking for either a messenger bag style, bookbag/ruck style or the murse by any other name maxpedition versipack style. Doesn't need to be too spacious, just enough for some text books, my 10.5 inch tablet, some chargers and other odds an ends.

So...suggestions? (budget = I don't want to spend over 200 bucks)

These are probably too "mall ninja" but Woot has a sale running on Yukon Outfitters packs until the 17th:

http://www.woot.com/plus/yukon-outfitte ... f=cnt_wp_1

I used Timbuk2s for years, currently using a Rickshaw messenger bag. The Rickshaws run smaller than the Timbuk2s - I use a large Rickshaw, which is just about the same as a medium Timbuk2.

Both of those companies make bags for people that actually carry a lot of stuff professionally, and have to do it comfortably. The soft sided aspect makes them easy to fit even into crowded luggage compartments.

If you care at all about fashion, Timbuk2 seems to have both wool and waxed canvas options these days, both of which I've had individually in the past and liked a lot.

These bags last me about 3-4 years of daily use. Other messenger style bags barely make it one.

(I was playing around, and like the look of this one):

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

I've owned one of the Maxpedition Jumbo versipacks for a few years now, and although it has molle on the outside, it does the job nicely. They're making them in several colors nowadays that aren't so militant. When you first buy it, I'm sure some quality time with a seam ripper would get rid of those pesky loops, and shouldn't scar the bag significantly. That said, I keep going they'll come out with a red and black paisley option... I'd sport that.

I keep being tempted by their Mongo and Sitka S-type packs in gray.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:I've owned one of the Maxpedition Jumbo versipacks for a few years now, and although it has molle on the outside, it does the job nicely. They're making them in several colors nowadays that aren't so militant. When you first buy it, I'm sure some quality time with a seam ripper would get rid of those pesky loops, and shouldn't scar the bag significantly. That said, I keep going they'll come out with a red and black paisley option... I'd sport that.

I keep being tempted by their Mongo and Sitka S-type packs in gray.
Yup! I took my trusty Grandmothers' Knife to the loops.... Pesky things!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I've had a 511 Rush Delivery bag that I've used for daily commuting on bike/train/bus for 4 years. it can hold a 13" laptop and enough clothes, toiletries, flats, and gadgets for a 3 day weekend in NYC. The one I have is dark grey with contrasting black molle velcro strips, but it isn't too tacticool. It has a large velcro compartment in the back that can hold a pistol and spare mags securely. It's been super durable, if a bit large.

Fukshot wrote:My new purse also doubles as my range bag for two revolvers and a few hundred rounds.
You don't always keep that in your purse? :eh:

Also I use one of these. It's large enough for my 15" MacBook pro. A text book and odds and ends. The front flap is velcroed, the straps are just for show, the snaps holding mine down did come out. But doesn't look too bad.

It's held up well over the last year.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

TheViking wrote:Sorta related - don't use the same bag for range and air travel. One of my buddies did that and when TSA did a random swipe test on it for explosives, it came up positive from powder residue... They let him go eventually but that was a major hassle that could have been easily avoided.
That's odd, last time I flew I asked the TSA guy giving me the freedom patdown and he said that their machines didn't detect powder residue.

TheViking wrote:Sorta related - don't use the same bag for range and air travel. One of my buddies did that and when TSA did a random swipe test on it for explosives, it came up positive from powder residue... They let him go eventually but that was a major hassle that could have been easily avoided.
Last time I flew, they asked me if I would test positive for gunpowder residue and if I was a hunter. My response was "I checked a 1911 and 50 rounds of ammo. I'm a shooter, not a hunter."

I was "randomly selected for additional security screening."

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the tips and advice, I ended up going with the 5.11 Covrt18 bag (in black/slate). I tend to travel with an excess of electronics so all of the little zippered pouches seem really helpful. It can also pull duty as a range bag in a pinch, as it has interior Velcro attachments that some of my magazine pouches can ride on. Overall construction seems rugged and well made, stitching looks good. Zippers don't feel cheap and it's held up to some daily commutes and over night stays just fine (though flying with it in July and August will be the big test).

Kind of an update here, the bag held up to airline travel just fine. It's also become my everyday bag as I'm taking a class on campus (instead of all online) this semster. It handles my 14" laptop, my 10.5" tablet an assortment of cords, school supplies and all of the random crap I end up taking with me during my 30 mile commute to school. I've had it pretty loaded down but the padded straps and overall design make it a comfortable carry even for extended periods of time and up/down lots of stairs. I'm actually pretty pleased with it, especially considering this is the most I've ever spent on a ruck/bag.