Painting sights

So, I can't see the front sight of my GP100 against a black bullseye. I shoot a lot of black targets, so I should probably find a way to make it more visible. One option is putting in a fiber optic front sight, but I don't think I need that yet.

Do I use a dedicated sight paint? Fingernail polish (PRETTY!, but it take two coats to become visible)? Metallic sharpie? and if that, gold or silver? Does it matter?

I'm not ready to strap a scope or red dot to the top of it yet - I'm hanging on to irons with my arthritic claws as long as I can...

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Re: Painting sights

fknauss wrote:So, I can't see the front sight of my GP100 against a black bullseye. I shoot a lot of black targets, so I should probably find a way to make it more visible. One option is putting in a fiber optic front sight, but I don't think I need that yet.

Do I use a dedicated sight paint? Fingernail polish (PRETTY!, but it take two coats to become visible)? Metallic sharpie? and if that, gold or silver? Does it matter?

I'm not ready to strap a scope or red dot to the top of it yet - I'm hanging on to irons with my arthritic claws as long as I can...
Changing the front sight on a GP100 takes MAYBE 5 minutes and all you need is a pin punch. I just did my Redhawk, which has the same setup, and it's one of the easiest mods I've done to a gun...ever.

http://www.amazon.com/HIVIZ-GPLW01-Inte ... 100+sights

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I put a dot of fingernail polish on the back of the front sight of battlerifles (M1 Garand, M1A) when I use them for 3-gun type action shooting. It helps me with fast target aquisition.

I like "Rita Hayworth Red" as period appropriate.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

CDFingers wrote:I use white out in the groove of the rear sight, which outlines the front sight.

CDFingers
You know what they say about great minds thinking alike.

I chose whiteout because it is non-permanent, is easy to apply, inexpensive, and visible. I apply it to my front sight bald so I can if the top of the sights.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I use white out in the groove of the rear sight, which outlines the front sight.

CDFingers

I chose whiteout because it is non-permanent, is easy to apply, inexpensive, and visible. I apply it to my front sight bald so I can if the top of the sights.
I'll wait till I go bald before I put it on my front sight, though. Still plenty hair. :geek:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:
sturner wrote:

CDFingers

I'll wait till I go bald before I put it on my front sight, though. Still plenty hair. :geek:

CDFingers
Blade, damnit, blade. autocorrect sometimes just doesn't cut it.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

Right - but a shot a 1.5" group at 7 yards (where I could make out the sights), and a 7" group at 15. That is not proportional.

The front sight is now orange. I will let you try it out this weekend, and you will swoon.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!