Re: Knives: EDC

I recently gave away my Buck Vantage as a thank u gift...

I like my Kershaw Storm I'm currently using as EDC, but things haven't been quite the same since.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote:I recently gave away my Buck Vantage as a thank u gift...

I like my Kershaw Storm I'm currently using as EDC, but things haven't been quite the same since.

Xela
sucker. pick up another one. or get a kershaw RAM, which is about the most fun you can have with a knife.

I've been considering picking up a Spyderco Stretch in a VG10 blade. Anyone have this? It's also available in ZDP-189 blade steel, and from what I hear, this is one of the hardest steels being used in knives. Not sure if I have the patience to sharpen this latter steel though after watching a youtube video where a guy spent about an hour and half using a really nice setup to get a perfect edge on his. Granted, he went down to a 0.5 microns grit... but that thing was absolutely screaming sharp.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Does anyone observe the custom of giving a coin in return when receiving a knife as a gift? I only learned about this practice from a scene in the movie The Edge. I did a little research and it seems the superstition is that a knife given to a friend will "cut the friendship". A coin given in return acts as payment, thus preserving the friendship. :hmmm:

TxChinaman wrote:Does anyone observe the custom of giving a coin in return when receiving a knife as a gift? I only learned about this practice from a scene in the movie The Edge. I did a little research and it seems the superstition is that a knife given to a friend will "cut the friendship". A coin given in return acts as payment, thus preserving the friendship. :hmmm:
I remember to do it once in a while, it's easy to remember if you tape a coin to the package the knife is in before giving it away. my favorite superstition is putting a sharp knife under the mattress of a woman giving birth to cut the pain in half.

amir, don't worry about ZDP-189. it's not much harder to sharpen than a lot of modern steels, and it stays sharp for a long time, too. unless you're one of those guys who aren't happy with a knife until they can treetop their arm hair it's not a big deal to get a good edge. I'd prefer it to the VG-10 any day.

Knives: EDC

Xela wrote:Time to lube my knifes. They're starting to show rust...ARGH!!!!

I understand why my Vantage is going through this, after all, I carry it in my front pocket in this Texas heat.

But my Juice I carry on my belt. Hmm. It must have been the N. Texas humidity.

How often do you oil/lube your EDC blades?

Xela
Oh please, a debate on knife lubes. Where do you store them my friend, in the ocean? Actually, I have my grandfathers homemade skinning knife and my dads, which are a match. They are not stainless and need special care. I use whatever's in reach. I'm not a scientist, but try turtle wax some time and see how you like.

Sent from The Horse's Mouth
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Forgot to share this image here.

Here are my two current EDC, Leatherman Juice, and Kershaw Storm.

Leatherman Surge and flashlight just hangout at the office as standbies.

Xela

P.S. I still can't believe Knives hasn't got it's own section/forum.

My EDC is an old Victorinox that they don't seem to make anymore... At least I can't find it on the site. It's like a Tourist but not quite. It has both short and long blades, the can opener and bottle opener, scissors, cork screw and awl. And it's black.

It's like a Tinker with an added scissors, or a Climber without the hook. Weird that I can't find it anywhere on the internets... Still looking.

I also have a left-handed model that I used to carry that I think is a Wenger.

And I have a Victorinox Fisherman model that I sometimes carry.

I also EDC an old Leatherman Supertool.

Not very exciting stuff.
Last edited by Ultravox on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added descrition
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

Here's my knives.

Closed:

Opened:

CRKT M21-04G - EDC
CRKT Ashworth Turtle - EDC as money clip
Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn
Leatherman Tool
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

My dream is to get myself a custom knife in the neighborhood of 450-500 bucks. Heck yeah.

Probably not EDC material...but a dream nonetheless.

Xela

I carry a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker, Leatherman Blast, and a 4" folder I found under a ride at a county fair 20 years ago marked "Sharp". :lol: Well it's stainless, and Japanese, and holds an edge pretty well.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

TxChinaman wrote:Does anyone observe the custom of giving a coin in return when receiving a knife as a gift? I only learned about this practice from a scene in the movie The Edge. I did a little research and it seems the superstition is that a knife given to a friend will "cut the friendship". A coin given in return acts as payment, thus preserving the friendship. :hmmm:
Good movie. I carry my dads buck, my wave, and my sons bench made butterfly. Sorry son.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

I carry either a SOG SOG-TAC auto or the Kershaw mini-cyclone.

The SOG is light and has a partially-serrated edge, which helps when cutting cable ties at work. The Kershaw is really nice and, though it is heavier, I take it with me on hiking and biking trips as it could also be used as a hammer.

The big one is the knife I used to EDC back when I wore cargo pants. Winchesters what I carry now.
006.JPG
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

+1 for Duke :thumbup: I'm not much of a folder knife kind of guy, I prefer fixed blades, but I've always had a knife with me ever since I was 8 years old. I have collected and sold numerous knives throughout the years, and have always went for the most expensive/best materials kind of knives I can afford. I have a decent amount of experience with them all, and if there is one thing I have ralized is that, just because the knife is expensive or had the some of the best blade/handle materials doent mean it will hold up well, but then again I prefer tough knives over pretty, although I must admit I love pretty knives too. I had a custom made knife for $250 from a guy in New York (Chase knives), made from O1 tool steel, sonofabitch chipped on me like it was made from glass. I also recently sold all my knives cause I needed some extra money. I had Buck 119, Cold Steel SRK San Mai III, Kabar D2 Extreme, Himalayan Imports 18" Ang Khola (love this thing), and before that I sold some other ones I cant remember the names. As far as EDC, I have realized that if throughout the day I can "feel" the knife in my pants I tend not to carry it at all. So currently this is what I have:
Attachments
Glock field knife ( the toughest knife for the money hands down, from my experience ) this is my house knife, sits in my closet, I have pryied doors with this, hammered with it, .... and its still holding up, i sold of these, regretted it, bought another one
Glock field knife ( the toughest knife for the money hands down, from my experience ) this is my house knife, sits in my closet, I have pryied doors with this, hammered with it, .... and its still holding up, i sold of these, regretted it, bought another one
A.G. Russell funny folder my current and probably final EDC, weights nothing, and they offer two different blade and handle materials
A.G. Russell funny folder my current and probably final EDC, weights nothing, and they offer two different blade and handle materials
funny.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
Leatherman Charge TTi (best multitool I ever had, Victorinox are a joke compared to this, assuming you actually use it for heavy duty stuff, if you just need something around the office, I guess Swiss army knives are fine too.
Leatherman Charge TTi (best multitool I ever had, Victorinox are a joke compared to this, assuming you actually use it for heavy duty stuff, if you just need something around the office, I guess Swiss army knives are fine too.
chargexti-outertools.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 3497 times

I have an old Schrade, from the mid 90's. Black textured polymer grip, opens with one hand, still sharp as hell, but then again it gets cared for.

I also have a nice pretty Gerber Paraframe II, but closing it is a pain one-handed. So it usually stays home.
Proud to be one of the NRA's worst nightmares: lesbian, pagan, educated liberal democrat-ish GUN OWNER.

Well, what a blast from the past! I got that Spyderco Stretch, and it's been a great edc blade. I also recently picked up a Kershaw Compound, and although the steel is a bit softer, the blade design is great! Now I'm switching back and forth. Also picked up a Cold Steel Master Hunter fixed blade, which although it gets carried less frequently, is also a great blade. Fixed blades get people's hockles up, so it's a special occasion blade. Maybe I should have irishman make me an IWB sheath for it?
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Pimped Strider PT, G10 scale replaced with titanium + damasteel backspacer and the pocket clip profile narrowed. Here is an early picture, quite a bit more patina on it now years later. I also had the blade reground to make it more of a slicer.