Re: TSA compatible rifle case

I dunno what a fortune is. I had a Pelikan case for a while. It was heavy. It was tough as hell.

There's also Plano, who makes similar boxes for slightly lower prices iirc.

None of them are more than three hundred and most closer to two, last time I looked. There are of course more expensive boxes, but these are as durable as any and more than most.

I would get the best you can afford. Most can take an accidental 2 foot drop from a handler, but can it take a 50 foot drop from a conveyor belt or be ran over by the baggage scooters?

Also there is the argument of whether or not to put scuba diving / musical stickers on the case. Some people think there are anti-gun workers that intentionally throw firearms. I tend to disagree with the intentional damage part and people are less likely to steal guns than would be a guitar.

Try to pry them open in the store. The planos you can separate them with one latch closed. At least the ones cabelas had in the store. Pellicans are way stiffer but heavier. Look at what is used to ship precision tools and camera equipment. Its usually pelican.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

curtism1234 wrote:I would get the best you can afford. Most can take an accidental 2 foot drop from a handler, but can it take a 50 foot drop from a conveyor belt or be ran over by the baggage scooters?

Also there is the argument of whether or not to put scuba diving / musical stickers on the case. Some people think there are anti-gun workers that intentionally throw firearms. I tend to disagree with the intentional damage part and people are less likely to steal guns than would be a guitar.
I wouldnt doubt it. I worked with the post office for a long time, contract carrier, and at the Champaign Urbana central post office where I delivered every night there was a guy named Martini who loved to take anything marked Fragile, and drop kick it across the dock. I saw tons of packages tossed around in downtown st. Louis like that too. So I dont doubt anything from people.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

The one time I flew with a few guns they slapped a bright orange sticker on the outside of the case indicating it contained firearms. Also, the Oakland airport failed to do things correctly - On my flight out they took the unlocked case into a TSA room without me and on the return trip the baggage handler just shoved the case through a roll up gate into the baggage claim area about 10-15 feet from where I was waiting. Fortunately I saw it and picked it up right away.

Another vote for Pelican here. SKB and Seahorse also make similar cases. CaseCruzer, Patriot Cases, CaseClub and MyCaseBuilder offer cases with pre-cut or custom cut foam if you want to get really fancy.

dandad wrote:I wouldnt doubt it. I worked with the post office for a long time, contract carrier, and at the Champaign Urbana central post office where I delivered every night there was a guy named Martini who loved to take anything marked Fragile, and drop kick it across the dock. I saw tons of packages tossed around in downtown st. Louis like that too. So I dont doubt anything from people.
I just recently experienced something like this with UPS. We shipped two Apple Thunderbolt displays to our Minnesota office and our tech out there watched as the guy threw the box off the back of the truck. We had paid insurance, but still had to jump through hoops to prove to UPS that it was their fault we had two perfectly destroyed 1k monitors... :no:

valen wrote:Anybody have a recommendation for a carbine length case that I can fly with? I need it to store a Marlin 336W (39 inches overall), my handgun, holster and some ammo. It's be nice if it didn't cost a fortune too.
If you can get one of these long enough it would probably work.

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

leitmotiv wrote:I don't know how the quality of Seahorse compares to Pelican, but they have a rifle case for about $100: http://www.seahorse-cases.com/se-1530.htm
Thats nice, and with wheels.. I might see about one of these just for going down to my dads to shoot. Easer than carry a half dozen casea every time

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

valen wrote:$200 is a fortune. I don't have any plans to travel with a firearm after my trip in February, So I don't know exactly when I'll need to use this again. That makes me hesitant to drop $200 on a case.
Yeah, they ain't cheap...but they are gold standard. I guess it depends on how much you value your firearms. Is it worth paying $100 more for peace of mind?
LGC Texas - Vice President

Marlene wrote:4 feet of 10" PVC pipe, a couple of caps, hardware to attach one cap with a padlock (the other is glued on), and a bunch of foam.

I'm guessing on the pipe diameter. ABS would work fine too.
Not to chagrin the ingenuity, but the TSA and law enforcement might confuse that with something sonding like a "tripe balm". :ohmg:
LGC Texas - Vice President

leitmotiv wrote:The one time I flew with a few guns they slapped a bright orange sticker on the outside of the case indicating it contained firearms. Also, the Oakland airport failed to do things correctly - On my flight out they took the unlocked case into a TSA room without me...
That is probably a violation of federal regs. I hope they did not take the keys, which are not supposed to leave your possession.

Regarding the OP, in case no one has mentioned it the locks are _not_ supposed to be TSA compliant. The idea is that the case is never supposed to be opened by anyone but you, so your presence is required for it to be opened. Guess who is held responsible if your firearm turns up missing?
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote:
leitmotiv wrote:The one time I flew with a few guns they slapped a bright orange sticker on the outside of the case indicating it contained firearms. Also, the Oakland airport failed to do things correctly - On my flight out they took the unlocked case into a TSA room without me...
That is probably a violation of federal regs. I hope they did not take the keys, which are not supposed to leave your possession.
It is, but I wasn't going to argue with them. The ticket agent asked me to unlock it (combination locks, non TSA) and then she took it to a room behind the ticket counter while I waited.

http://blog.beretta.com/10-gun-tips-you ... -with-guns
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition

atxgunguy wrote:
valen wrote:$200 is a fortune. I don't have any plans to travel with a firearm after my trip in February, So I don't know exactly when I'll need to use this again. That makes me hesitant to drop $200 on a case.
Yeah, they ain't cheap...but they are gold standard. I guess it depends on how much you value your firearms. Is it worth paying $100 more for peace of mind?
If you dont have the extra $100, its a hell of a lot. Sometimes, good enough will do. I learned since being on a limited income after becoming disables, brand names and high prices dont always equate to the beat option, or even better option. They are often made in the same factories, same people, same design, as the lower cost ones. Just without the 40 million dollar advertising budget.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more