Gun Safe?

At Rural King today and looking at their selection of gun safes. I think I will have to pass on electronic locks, and stick with good old fashioned mechanical ones.

Just dont appear all that secure to me. And if you see the -slide over the screw- mounting plate is plastic too. The lock keypad housing has a heavy chrome plated bezel on it, but I could see an 8 year old with a butter knife being able to snap the pad off of the mounting screws with the flimsy plastic backer plate.

Guess as long as its out of sight, it looks good n strong!

Couple of clip leads jumping the right solder points or wire, and you be screwed.

Now the safe itself seemed solid.. But again, appearances can be deceiving.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Gun Safe?

I may eventually find out if you are correct as I own one of those Cannon 24 gun safe with electronic lock. It has given me a few scares. The first, it would no longer lock - call Cannon and they had me remove the inside door cover to expose locking mechanism and to loosen two screws ever so slightly - this resolved the problem; the scariest problem was when it would not unlock no matter what I did. This was on weekend so no Cannon phone help. Went to their web site, found a suggestion that made no sense - hold unlocking wheel with heavy pressure in the closing direction whilst plugging in the combination - lo and behold, that did the trick.

My wiring from keypad to internal solenoid is not two wires as in your picture. It's more a flat four wire similar to that of a motherboard fan connector, so not sure if jumpers would work. In any case Cannon insures their product (not the contents) against destruction by theft, fire or flood with onerous conditions (proof, palatalized and at curbside for pick up and freight at your expense). The locks, electronics, solenoid and keypad seem warranted forever or may be at their desecration - the wording is rather confusing. LOL

Still, better than nothing. Which this reminds me, have to go find the key for my GV2000DLX Gun Vault as the batteries no longer have the poop to operate the door lock solenoid to open as I discovered yesterday when attempting to extricate my alternate CC.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

From what I've read, with most of the electronic lock safes you can replace it with an old school (reliable) mechanical lock instead. Either a locksmith or just order the parts online and do the install yourself, it didn't look to be very hard IIRC
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Cheap gun lockers just keep kids from getting in them. Cheap gun safes just keep thieves from picking the whole thing up and walking out the door with it. Even the intermediate safes under 1000 bucks can be opened after hitting it with a sledgehammer for 30 minutes.

It's all about deterrence. Unless you live in a community where it's common to hear someone bashing a safe open with a sledge or running a grinding wheel for 45 minutes, a thief isn't going to bother. Bolt it down, have an alarm system/dog. Make it more appealing to move on to an easier mark. If you have a $20k collection, you probably shouldn't leave it in boxes in the living room.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
Wino wrote:
shinzen wrote:Yup. $90 and you can switch to mechanical:
https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Greenlea ... B002EDF466
Thanks. Just ordered one. :D
You might want to call the company to confirm fit on your model- that was the generic one I found on Amazon, but don't know if different models require different locks or not.
I read thru the comments - it should work since it did fit others of same size/brand.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

atxgunguy wrote:Sargent & Greenleaf old-school tumbler locks for me. The only fail point is me forgetting the combination.
That's my position, too. I figure if I get too old to remember the combo, the guns are best left in the safe. :laugh:

But seriously, those electronic locks seem trouble. Old school tumblers.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bolt a big ole' latch and pad lock on it lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more