tiny portable backst

In a shooting class I took recently, the instructor had what was basically an armor plate inside a picture frame, that he could use as a portable 9mm backstop for dry fire drills etc.

Anybody seen a productized version of this? Or do you think he just bought a body armor plate and put it in a picture frame himself? I got the impression it was something he bought in one piece, but I have no real good reason for thinking that.

Re: tiny portable backst

Well, an AR500 steel plate will easily withstand pistol bullets, but you still need to worry about ricochet and stuff. The plate is available from companies that sell steel targets.

Supposedly for $30 you can make a bulletproof fibreglass plate. It's not fancy, but it would work fine as an emergency backstop, and it would catch all the pieces of the bullet.

Glad that federal government is boring again.

PizzaOps wrote:In a shooting class I took recently, the instructor had what was basically an armor plate inside a picture frame, that he could use as a portable 9mm backstop for dry fire drills etc.

Anybody seen a productized version of this? Or do you think he just bought a body armor plate and put it in a picture frame himself? I got the impression it was something he bought in one piece, but I have no real good reason for thinking that.
My first reaction was WTF.

Then I realized it might be easier than a bucket of sand. I am confused. Is this a good idea or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PizzaOps wrote:
Maccabee wrote:I'm going to guess your instructor was Gabe.
It was! Are you one of his students also? Great teacher.
Yep, took 101 with him. Waiting to get my CHL from Multnomah Co, then I will register for 101A, etc with him. I really enjoyed his class and his teaching style.