Blade-Tech Ultimate Carry Belt

I got tired of my 5.11 Leather Casual Belt. The polymer insert broke around the two buckle holes that I use the most, and as a result the leather begins to wear around those spots.

Just like holsters, I got all sorts of carry belts. The nylon belt with Cobra buckle is neat, but it's a royal pain to move from one pair of pants to the next. The 5.11 Apex Gunner's belt is sharp looking and practically impervious to wear, but the fiber + matte TPU material makes it a royal pain to tighten at times, as the belt material has 0 stretch and it sticks to itself. I was really close to getting a heavy leather belt, until I remember that most of them has 1" adjustment interval, which is less than ideal for carry.

Yankee Marshall raves about ratcheting belts, and I find the concept interesting. The brand that he mentions is actually not rated for firearm carry, but I found one from Blade-Tech that is.

The belt comes with enough leather to fit a 50" waist. The inches are marked on the inside of the belt, so cutting it down to my size didn't require a tape measure. A hex L-wrench is supplied, along with one spare set screw. Switching the buckle to the shortened end of the belt was easy.

The best part about this product is the ratcheting buckle. On the inside of the belt, facing the belly, is an 11" long set of plastic teeth. While the manufacturer says each teeth is about a quarter inch apart from the next, it's actually closer to a fifth of an inch distance. This means I can adjust the belt one fifth of an inch at a time, at the push of a lever. It's one of those features that don't sound all that special, until you try it and it makes you wonder how you lived without it.

No gun? Empty belly in the morning? Carrying a double stack pistol? Carrying a single stack? Carrying at 4 o'clock position? 3 o'clock? Having extra mags? Had one too many burger? Had a 16 oz ribeye? Sitting down? Standing up? No problem!

I have only had it for a day, and I have already adjusted my habit. When I sit down I would loosen the belt a click or two, and as I stand to walk I would ratchet it in. Best thing since sliced bread.

Since I haven't had it for long, I can't comment on durability. However, it's so convenient that I don't mind if I have to buy this once every couple of years.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Re: Blade-Tech Ultimate Carry Belt

I have not had to replace the Hank's Gunner I bought in 2014. That is two years longer than any other belt I have bought aside from 2" nylon ones. They make them with a Kevlar backing now so I might just get another one in a while.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Bang wrote:Well my belt broke two nights ago, cheap Dickies from Walmart lasted almost a year, so it more than lived up to my expectations.

Two months on how are those plastic teeth holding up? I always see those belts and wish the teeth were metal, I just don't trust the plastic to last.
No problem whatsoever. Metal teeth would be overkill and double the price. It is well designed, and it will probably take a couple hundred pounds of force to shear one tooth. In that event, just use the next tooth 1/5" away. Regular belt holes are spaced 1" apart.

It is not as stiff as my plastic-lined 5.11 belt, but I'm willing to overlook it because the fine adjustment is that awesome.

ErikO wrote:I have not had to replace the Hank's Gunner I bought in 2014. That is two years longer than any other belt I have bought aside from 2" nylon ones. They make them with a Kevlar backing now so I might just get another one in a while.
Hadn't heard of Hank's, the images make them look like they're good quality and the prices are reasonable. I ordered an Xtreme model, if it's still intact after a year I think I'll get either the steel core or the double layer.

Got my Hank's belt today. Holy crap, this is a BELT. I've been looking for something like this for over ten years, I've never seen anything like it in a store. It's thick, it's laterally very stiff but more supple than you'd expect as it wraps around the waist. This is the single thickest piece of leather I have ever seen, I want to know where they're getting this stuff because it makes people think it's two strips of leather bonded together. Did I mention it was $60?

Everything about this belt is utilitarian, the tip is blunt and has pretty stark corners. There's been nothing done to pretty up the stitching, it's not ugly bet there's nothing fancy about it. The finish of the leather its self is a bit dull, so much so that this would actually be out of place not just in a dress setting but is probably a little rough to wear with business professional clothes. The burnishing on the edges is just done, it's not a slick shine like I've seen on even some cheap belts. The buckle is a bent rod. It looks a little clunky at first but is actually much more comfortable than any other belt buck I've ever worn.

Also, it smells like barbeque. MMMmmmm... barbeque...

Stiff wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:You know you COULD get a leather punch and simply make additional holes every half-inch.
1. It looks crummy
2. It doesn't work with lined belts
3. It's still half an inch instead of a fifth
LOL! If you work slowly and carefully and from both sides, the holes should be indistinguishable from the original ones, and you can space 'em closer if you want.

Then again, you can just buy the new belt you like! Whatever works.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Had to see for myself, so bought two Blade-Tech (Black and Coyote). Must say I'm impressed. Now, if I can just figure a way to attach my western belt buckles to the ratchet buckle short of super gluing them together, I'll be set. :gday:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote:Had to see for myself, so bought two Blade-Tech (Black and Coyote). Must say I'm impressed. Now, if I can just figure a way to attach my western belt buckles to the ratchet buckle short of super gluing them together, I'll be set. :gday:
What - super glue from New York City?! At least use JB Weld 'cause it's made here in the Republic! (Now, don't fret that it has Aggie ties - it works fine anyway.) :fun:

lurker wrote:6 bux, infinitely adjustable, milsurp-stylin'.
belt.jpg
The design of a ratcheting belt is actually based on this old military belt. Think of the ratcheting belt as the mil belt on steroids. The new belt is far stiffer and uses positive teeth and claw instead of simple friction.

Without a gun that old canvas belt works just fine. With a 2-lb metal attached it pinches one side while it sags on the other. Most people wear it loose enough so they can still breathe, but when you draw the gun would raise up past your ribcage before it detaches from the holster.

Stiff wrote:Most people wear it loose enough so they can still breathe,
i've wondered about this. the temptation is to wear it loose, so it rides atop the hips, a la modern styles. i have to make a point of it to cinch it up so it rests on my waist. had the same problem while reenacting, oddly enough back in the day suspenders (gallooses, bracers) held your pants up, belts were for guns and 'cooters. reenactors tend to wear their pants hanging on their hips, and belts (for caps and cartridges) ride low, too low. i would tell them to put their finger in their belly button, then point out that that's where the belt buckle goes, not 4 inches lower. doesn't help that most reenactors are overweight.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?