Post your first knife/current EDC

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

SubRosa
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Post your first knife/current EDC

#26 Post by SubRosa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Marlene wrote: If your (pocket)knife doesn’t feel good and natural slicing fruit and cheese, I don’t really understand what you want out of this life.
Amen, sister.

Subs
If you don't like my personality, I have several others...

Simmer down
Site Admin

#27 Post by Simmer down » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Gerber.jpg
I've carried this daily since 1996, the first year of this model. Its a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder. AZAndy has the smaller one shown towards the top of the thread, the Covert, I think.

Not sure what the initial appeal was, I needed a boarding saber maybe?

It's a big, heavy knife. Does big stuff well and not good at all for small stuff like prying a stuck case out of a gun or pulling a splinter out of your hand. It does provide balance with this in one pant pocket and a Sig 938 in the other. AND- it doubles as a boarding saber.
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

SubRosa
Grizzled Veteran

#28 Post by SubRosa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Simmer down wrote:
Gerber.jpg
AND- it doubles as a boarding saber.
Arrgh! Keelhaul the scurvy dog!

Subs
If you don't like my personality, I have several others...

lsj74
Chatty

#29 Post by lsj74 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 am

A Spyderco Byrd Medowlark 2.
I never cared for the way Spyderco knifes look or the plastic scales but I decided to give it a try.
I was pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics and how sturdy it feels. Rock solid lockup and it came razor sharp.
When you start using the knife it becomes obvious that a lot of thought went into the design.
Attachments
IMG_20171023_005211.jpg

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#30 Post by YankeeTarheel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 am

lsj74 wrote:A Spyderco Byrd Medowlark 2.
I never cared for the way Spyderco knifes look or the plastic scales but I decided to give it a try.
I was pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics and how sturdy it feels. Rock solid lockup and it came razor sharp.
When you start using the knife it becomes obvious that a lot of thought went into the design.
I've used and abused more Spydercos, especially the Delicas, than I remember. I lost one on Air France, flying from NY to Venice in 2000, when AF wouldn't let me carry it onto the plane, over a year before 9/11. They were supposed to return it in Venice but......(they also left one of our bags on the tarmac in NY that then spent a week chasing us because they wouldn't put it on the next plane).
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#31 Post by atxgunguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Not quite a Fairbairn, but it'll do. It's the knife I would carry if'n I wanted to scare my coworkers. Last time I busted it out to open a box, they thought it for a small machete.

LGC Texas - Central Region President

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#32 Post by CDFingers » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Carried the 1970 three blade Buck Stockman since, well, 1970. This is my whole carry when I go out the house.
P1010175.JPG
House key, car key, gun closet key, and now, pistol case key. And charms from me wife. No more school keys. :yahoo:

CDFingers
ImageImage
Take a little powder, take a little salt
put 'em in my shotgun when I go walkin' out

SeaDragonTattoo
Been around awhile

#33 Post by SeaDragonTattoo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Here's mine. Been carrying it for I think 6 years or so. It scares people, which was my intent. It's occasionally useful for other things, but I did buy it for defense and have it with me at all times. I've had to show it to three people either on the CTA or in an alley. They disappeared quickly. Pen for scale.
Attachments
20171024_183644.jpg
Illinois Chapter President

ImageImage

WinterbornArms
Been around awhile

#34 Post by WinterbornArms » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am

Spyderco tenacious I think. First knife was a spyderco, gift from my Dad when I was quite young, so now I'm a spyderco fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchu
Helpful Contributor

#35 Post by Manchu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 am

My computer crashed and the iPad can’t make the files small enough, that I can figure out anyway, to post a photo. I carry a Leatherman Mutt, one of the Benchmade assisted knives, and a little Benchmade Proper sheepsfoot. Seems I always need the Leatherman, and a good assisted opening knife is good to have, and the utility of a little sheepsfoot is always handy. I use all of them daily.

I got my first knife when I was 5yo, a Bartlow I believe, along with a little Arkansas stone. Was shown how to sharpen it, and I would have probably sharpened that thing to a nub if I hadn’t lost it some years later. I was reading Tarzan of the Apes at the time, yes I was reading a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs at 5, so naturally I whittled a wooden knife that I imagined Tarzan had. I was pretty proud of it, though I’d like to see what it looks like now. My second book was Hondo by Louis L’Amour, and he carried a giant Bowie, so I whittled one of those too. I still have that little stone around here somewhere.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#36 Post by aasoverteakettle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am

I'm a week into carrying my LM Wingman, modded into a single "handle" of tools and a one-hand open blade. I'm really happy that the modification worked as well as it did, took a bit of Dremel work and washer spacing. A lot of taking apart, reassemble to test fitting, disassemble to adjust, repeat... It is working great for EDC so far. I think I'm going to grind the box-cutter (useless hook looking thing) into a small flat head. Not sure what it says about me, but I always seem to need that little flat head for adjusting my sights.

zzrguy
Been around awhile

#37 Post by zzrguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Just started carrying this ESEE Canduri OF green with Ranger G10 scales it might be small but it handy.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Post your first knife/current EDC

#38 Post by aasoverteakettle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Added my car key yesterday so I can leave my keys in my car if I'm out where I don't need them in my pocket. Pretty handy already!

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#39 Post by atxgunguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Picked up a new EDC this weekend.

Local made Infinity OTF from Katy, TXImage
LGC Texas - Central Region President

Ronin
Been around awhile

#40 Post by Ronin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#41 Post by Bacchus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Benchmade mini-Barrage.

I never used to carry a knife, and I pocketed this when I began moving a lot to cut open boxes. I never knew it would be so handy; I can't imagine being without one now. :)
Daily Carry.jpg
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

AmirMortal
Carpal Tunnel

#42 Post by AmirMortal » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I think my father may still have the first knife he gave me when I was like 4. I wasn't strong enough to open it myself yet, but theoretically it was mine. Since then I've carried a pocket knife nearly every day, as a matter of course.

In lieu of that, here are my current favorite EDC knives. Pictured: (both are a Spyderco)a Manix 2 in S110v steel, and a Kiwi 4 in VG10 being held. There is usually one or another Leatherman tool close at hand as well.Image

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#43 Post by aasoverteakettle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Here's my edc. Including new Christmas watch :)

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#44 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Nothing like a Leatherman multi-tool knife! Does anyone but Gerber make anything of similar quality, as opposed to cheap imitations?

And the guy who invented is named...Timothy S. Leatherman!
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Stiff
Loquacious

#45 Post by Stiff » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:50 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:Nothing like a Leatherman multi-tool knife! Does anyone but Gerber make anything of similar quality, as opposed to cheap imitations?

I carry a Victorinox, which I think is actually better than Leatherman, as the company has been doing this for 133 years. I own both; the Victorinox is more polished and resists rust better.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#46 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Stiff wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:Nothing like a Leatherman multi-tool knife! Does anyone but Gerber make anything of similar quality, as opposed to cheap imitations?

I carry a Victorinox, which I think is actually better than Leatherman, as the company has been doing this for 133 years. I own both; the Victorinox is more polished and resists rust better.
Matter of opinion. Victorinox makes the Swiss Army Knife and the Leatherman is far more practical.

Stiff
Loquacious

#47 Post by Stiff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 am

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Stiff wrote:

Matter of opinion. Victorinox makes the Swiss Army Knife and the Leatherman is far more practical.
The recognizable red Swiss Army Knife is not the only thing Victorinox makes. My EDC is the Swisstool Spirit, which is better than my Leatherman Wave in most respects.

Oh, and there's also SOG. I forgot that I carried a SOG multitool for several years. It was roughly the same quality as a Leatherman.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#48 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:58 am

I usually carry the Squirt, but otherwise really like the very simple Skeletool. It's very basic, but solid and well shaped for the hand.

I did not know that Victorinox makes a tool similar to the Leatherman. I still have my first one--the original that had, I believe, no other name, or maybe "supertool". It looks exactly like this:

I've had one Squirt fail, of all the many various models I own--I must have a dozen or more, and had NCL take a Wave from me. They were supposed to return it at the end of the cruise but "somehow" it "mysteriously" disappeared.