Hearing protection & situational awareness

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
joemac
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Contact:

Hearing protection & situational awareness

#1 Post by joemac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm

What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.

p0lyhuman
Been around awhile
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#2 Post by p0lyhuman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm

joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.

User avatar
joemac
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#3 Post by joemac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

p0lyhuman wrote:
joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?

User avatar
atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#4 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

A pair of cheap foamies and Howard Leight Impact Sports gave served me well at the loudest of indoor ranges.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2
LGC Texas - Central Region President

Image

Stiff
Loquacious
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 am
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#5 Post by Stiff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm

I wear a pair of Surefire EP4 plugs with the caps out, doubled by a pair of Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs (NRR 30). With the volume cranked up a little, I can have conversations just fine without sacrificing protection.

User avatar
Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#6 Post by Marlene » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 am

What?
Image

p0lyhuman
Been around awhile
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#7 Post by p0lyhuman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 am

joemac wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:
joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?
Yes they are simply expanding foam, not silicone tri-flange or anything like that.

User avatar
Maccabee
Been around awhile
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm
Location: Portland OR
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#8 Post by Maccabee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 am

Marlene wrote:What?
In a past life I was a sound designer for theater. One particular performance had VERY LOUD sound cues. After an early preview show, an elderly woman approached us and said “Some of those sounds and music are much too loud!”

My assistant and and I looked at each other, then at her, and replied “WHAT?”

User avatar
atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#9 Post by atxgunguy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am

Marlene wrote:What?
:roflmao:

I'd be remiss if I didn't post:

LGC Texas - Central Region President

Image

User avatar
aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: Waterbury, VT
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#10 Post by aasoverteakettle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am

atxgunguy wrote:
Marlene wrote:What?
:roflmao:

I'd be remiss if I didn't post:

Does Lana shoot a Desert Eagle. Sploosh.

I recently picked up those in-ear orange things that Hickock45 uses. So far, I really like them. The less-muffling sound decrease of itty bitty in-ear plugs with the convenience of over-ear earmuffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Location: Virgina
Contact:

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#11 Post by DavidMS » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 pm

At indoor ranges, I use surefire earplugs under Howard Leight impact earmuffs. At outdoor ranges, I just use Surefire earplugs unless someone is firing a cartridge in the eargesplitten loudenboomer family or anything at the next bench with a muzzle brake.

That said, I want get better hearing protection in the next year or two as the technology has improved.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests