Hearing protection & situational awareness

Reviews and discussion of things that don't fall into one of the other categories.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

joemac
Verified Member
Verified Member

Hearing protection & situational awareness

#1 Post by joemac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm

What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.

p0lyhuman
Been around awhile

Re: Hearing protection & situational awareness

#2 Post by p0lyhuman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm

joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

I've seen the Peltor TAC300 on Amazon for under $100, but it's NRR 24 dB and I'm not sure that is enough. Any experience with that one or similar ones? Are there any valved or electronic in-ear plugs that might make sense for this?

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.

joemac
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by joemac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

p0lyhuman wrote:
joemac wrote:What sort of recommendations are there for hearing protection that preserves some degree of situational awareness? I'm looking for something that works indoors as well as outdoors, and that provides sufficient sound suppression for both a 9x19mm handgun and 7.62x39 rifle. The headset that I have used in the past at an indoor range is rated at NRR 30 dB, which provides more than adequate noise protection for a couple of hours of shooting but winds up being a "cone of silence".

Thanks.
I use the Peltor Sport Tac 300 with 31 NRR plugs underneath. I can still have a conversation with a student. If I want to hear a little better, I'll back the plugs out a bit. The audio electronics are really good, better than any at this price range and many well above.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 pm

A pair of cheap foamies and Howard Leight Impact Sports gave served me well at the loudest of indoor ranges.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2
LGC Texas - Central Region President

Stiff
Loquacious

#5 Post by Stiff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm

I wear a pair of Surefire EP4 plugs with the caps out, doubled by a pair of Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs (NRR 30). With the volume cranked up a little, I can have conversations just fine without sacrificing protection.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by Marlene » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 am

What?

p0lyhuman
Been around awhile

#7 Post by p0lyhuman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:06 am

joemac wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. Are the 31 NRR plugs the expanding foam type?
Yes they are simply expanding foam, not silicone tri-flange or anything like that.

Maccabee
Been around awhile

#8 Post by Maccabee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 am

Marlene wrote:What?
In a past life I was a sound designer for theater. One particular performance had VERY LOUD sound cues. After an early preview show, an elderly woman approached us and said “Some of those sounds and music are much too loud!”

My assistant and and I looked at each other, then at her, and replied “WHAT?”

atxgunguy
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by atxgunguy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am

:roflmao:

I'd be remiss if I didn't post:

LGC Texas - Central Region President

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#10 Post by aasoverteakettle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am

atxgunguy wrote:
:roflmao:

I'd be remiss if I didn't post:

Does Lana shoot a Desert Eagle. Sploosh.

I recently picked up those in-ear orange things that Hickock45 uses. So far, I really like them. The less-muffling sound decrease of itty bitty in-ear plugs with the convenience of over-ear earmuffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidMS
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by DavidMS » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 pm

At indoor ranges, I use surefire earplugs under Howard Leight impact earmuffs. At outdoor ranges, I just use Surefire earplugs unless someone is firing a cartridge in the eargesplitten loudenboomer family or anything at the next bench with a muzzle brake.

That said, I want get better hearing protection in the next year or two as the technology has improved.