Carrying spare mags

How do you all do it? I'm primarily interested in rifle magazines. I try to learn from these awful events and one thing that is evident is that the man who engaged the church shooter could have benefited from a spare magazine or two. I'd be more interested in less tactical options of you have some.

Re: Carrying spare mags

K9s wrote:Are you asking how to carry them on your person in the unlikely event that a shooting spree occurs near you? Do you mean to carry in your vehicle or near your rifle "just in case"? Something like these?
Good questions! I don't really know. I do know that when I had to pack up the safe for potential wildfire evac a month ago, I had a shitty sack full of mags. It wasn't the ideal situation even though there was no need for using them.

I do have one of those belt clip holders but I guess I was thinking more along a bag/satchel similar to the 5.11 posted above. More a "near your rifle just in case" scenario.

I guess I was looking for ideas of what others who have put more thought into it have come up with as solutions. Since I generally sleep in boxers or the buff (TMI), the belt thing probably won't work for a bump in the night.

spara wrote:I keep mags, tools and ammo in my car in this

I agree! EVERYONE needs a spare chrome popup drain, a PVC cutter, and a propane torch for soldering copper pipes in their car!

(Can I borrow that bag? I gotta change out the fittings on a bathroom pedestal sink!)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

featureless wrote:
K9s wrote:Are you asking how to carry them on your person in the unlikely event that a shooting spree occurs near you? Do you mean to carry in your vehicle or near your rifle "just in case"? Something like these?
Good questions! I don't really know. I do know that when I had to pack up the safe for potential wildfire evac a month ago, I had a shitty sack full of mags. It wasn't the ideal situation even though there was no need for using them.

I do have one of those belt clip holders but I guess I was thinking more along a bag/satchel similar to the 5.11 posted above. More a "near your rifle just in case" scenario.

I guess I was looking for ideas of what others who have put more thought into it have come up with as solutions. Since I generally sleep in boxers or the buff (TMI), the belt thing probably won't work for a bump in the night.
I sleep in boxers and t-shirt, so if something goes very wrong and I have to run out, this bag and the rifle have me covered. The bag also has a pistol compartment. As I jump out of bed I would grab the pistol from the night stand, when I have the rifle ready the pistol goes in the bag. No need for a holster, which is fine because I can't attach any holster to my boxer anyway.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

senorgrand wrote:How about a mag coupler? Then you grab one coupled mag, slap it in your rifle, and have 60 rounds on tap. BTW, don't get into a firefight in you skivies...fight them bastards neaked. ;)
Ah, bring out the big gun, eh. :blink: (sorry, ladies)

The mag coupler is an interesting idea.

Stiff wrote: I sleep in boxers and t-shirt, so if something goes very wrong and I have to run out, this bag and the rifle have me covered. The bag also has a pistol compartment. As I jump out of bed I would grab the pistol from the night stand, when I have the rifle ready the pistol goes in the bag. No need for a holster, which is fine because I can't attach any holster to my boxer anyway.
See, this is just the real world visionary experience/thought process I was looking for!

Marlene wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to avoid even having to carry my keys.
No kidding. I need a key fob to get into work. That means, I need the fob attached to my car and house key or I'll forget it. If I need to carry those three, may as well add my whistle and micro USB drive with my life on it. Now we're packing a pocket full.

A mag coupler works very well with the "grab-and-go" concept. The rifle that I keep beside my bed is designed around the grab-and-go concept. I assume that if I need it, I will not likely have time to grab anything else. It is equipped with a mag coupler, a sling, a flashlight, and a red dot. It is also one of the least expensive AR15s I own - If I ever have the misfortune of needing to use it, it may sit in an evidence locker for a very long time and I may never see it again.

If you decide to use a mag coupler on mags intended for use in an AR15, make sure that the mag on the right side is lower so that the ejection port is not blocked when the mag on the left is in the rifle.
Our preferences do not determine what's true.

featureless wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Also, there are a couple of AR buttstocks that store a spare 30 rounder.
Already invested in the FRS15 buttstock....
Got it...forgot where you hailed from.

BTW, there is a nifty mag coupler for p-mags. Two 10 rounds mount right on top of one another, making them about as big as a 30 rounder.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:
featureless wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Also, there are a couple of AR buttstocks that store a spare 30 rounder.

BTW, there is a nifty mag coupler for p-mags. Two 10 rounds mount right on top of one another, making them about as big as a 30 rounder.
I should probably put something clever like "Kalifornistan" or something in my location. :)

featureless wrote:
senorgrand wrote:
featureless wrote:

I should probably put something clever like "Kalifornistan" or something in my location. :)
Nah, I just spaced

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

featureless wrote: Ah, bring out the big gun, eh. :blink: (sorry, ladies)
No problem, I'm used to men showing off their short comings.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle