Re: What else can be put in a rail slot?

JoelB wrote:
Stiff wrote:
Hasaf wrote:I have two concerns about having a light on the weapon. The first is that it provides an excellent target, I would rather not have a target in front of my face.

They are not used like a search light, more like a sonar ping. If you illuminate a room corner for half a second, it's enough to tell whether or not somebody is there. It's not long enough to present a target, assuming the guy is not blinded.
If your quarry is off to the side, you have presented him with a target. I never was in a gun fight, but I had to investigate a number of them. I assure you a light on a gun (no matter how powerful) is not a good idea. If you think it will blind someone when hanging in front of your weapon, it will do the same if held high and away. I am afraid too many of you have been watching too many action movies.
If it's held high and away, it means you're shooting one handed. When you have to operate a door knob, what do you do? Do you put away the gun or the light? I'm not saying it's a bad technique with no practical application, it's just that my experience tells me there are better techniques and equipments today.

I didn't learn the blinding effect from any movie, I experienced it myself. It's an experience against human opponents actively trying to find and shoot me. While the bullets weren't real, the people were.

For what it's worth, I don't carry a pistol with a light attached. If I'm caught in a situation other than at home, I'll rely on separate pistol and flashlight. Since the light is operated by a tail button, I'll be holding it at eye level or up high, just like you suggested. However, at home I prefer to have the full advantage of a weapon light, since bulk and weight is not an issue.
Glad that federal government is boring again.