Bullet Pullers

Any recommendations on a press mounted bullet puller for pistol cartridges? I've read conflicting reviews that they work great on pistol cartridges or pistol bullets are too short for them to work well. I have a kinetic bullet puller, but I got a bucket of crap reloads and that thing makes my tennis elbow flare up.

Re: Bullet Pullers

I can't say I've pulled many pistol bullets on the press. I do know that I like the RCBS collet puller better than the Hornady cam-lock one. Grip is more solid.

I think your success will depend on how much parallel shank you have protruding from the case (enough to get a grip or not). You could check that with calipers before ordering the puller.

I've got the RCBS Press mounted, but agreed with Marlene- I've only used mine for rifle, didn't even order the pistol collet for it because I didn't think I'd get much grip on them.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Marlene wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:51 pm I can't say I've pulled many pistol bullets on the press. I do know that I like the RCBS collet puller better than the Hornady cam-lock one. Grip is more solid.

I think your success will depend on how much parallel shank you have protruding from the case (enough to get a grip or not). You could check that with calipers before ordering the puller.
How much shank is enough? I do load longer at 1.15 OAL.

Found an RCBS bullet puller on eBay for $20 shipped and Brownell's had the 9mm collet for $10, so I took a chance and bought them. Jeezus, where has this thing been all my life? It works great. I mounted it on a Lee single stage press and sat down with a bucket of reloads that didn't pass muster on the case gauge or I didn't like how the primer was seated and I pulled them into components in less than an hour. I also tried it on manufactured ammo that's gone through the washer/dryer and it works on those as well. Gonna toss my kinetic puller into the pile of misfit tools.