Re: AR-15 Slings

I don't have experience with the Magpul slings, but I have tried 1, 2, and 3 point slings in competitions. I personally like the two-point slings and have moved all my rifles over to them. Three-point slings have a tendency to become a tangled mess in the rest of my gear. Single point slings leave the front end of the rifle swinging around knocking into you when you are doing move and shoot pistol portions, I can assure you getting whacked in the nuts by a FAL is not only detrimental to your match performance, it is a great motivator to switch to 2 point slings.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

Thanks Nato!

I had to read-up on 3-point slings and laughed when I found this:

The proper use for a 3-pont sling is to take it off, cut it into little pieces, and throw it away.
:lol:

VooDoo - I have standard 2 point cotton slings on my rifles when they're slung (most of the time they're not). I've been leaning towards a convertible for the defense rifle but haven't selected on one yet.

Following.

Andy, could you indicate what kind/brand of 2 point cotton sling? I just completed an Appleseed marksmanship course and used a cotton GI style sling- it was a revelation. But I'm a sling noob and trying to figure out what's what.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm Following.

Andy, could you indicate what kind/brand of 2 point cotton sling? I just completed an Appleseed marksmanship course and used a cotton GI style sling- it was a revelation. But I'm a sling noob and trying to figure out what's what.
I'm just using the OD slings from the CMP. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/854WEB

I just use them for shoulder carry and sometimes hook an elbow - I think it's called 'hasty'. Check with Marlene and others if you want to so some real marksmanship stuff with a sling - that's outside my experience zone.

AndyH wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:39 pm
Bacchus wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm Following.

I'm just using the OD slings from the CMP. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/854WEB

I just use them for shoulder carry and sometimes hook an elbow - I think it's called 'hasty'. Check with Marlene and others if you want to so some real marksmanship stuff with a sling - that's outside my experience zone.
Yep, that's the one I was using! Worked like a charm.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

I have that Magpul sling and I like it. Basically I use it as a 2 point sling on my rifle. While it can be converted to a 1 point sling, I never use it that way on a rifle. IMHO the 1 point sling is designed for ultimate maneuverability and retention, forsaking every other consideration. It works for an AR pistol though.

My only problem is difficulty of adjustment when the adjusting buckle is behind my back as the sling is in its longest setting, there is no easy way to shorten it quickly. Other adjustable slings with a 'tail' is better for this purpose.

Glad that federal government is boring again.

Great advice and input!! :yes:

Bought a Magpul MS3 Gen2 sling late yesterday at the LGC. I paid too much but it's worth the extra $10 to support the local store when I can. gotta get a rear QD sling mount today and try it out but it pretty much rocks. Can do dual point or single point and it seems well built.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

My only experience is with 2 point slings on my AR. I have the VTAC padded and the Blue Force Gear non-padded VCAS sling.

The VTAC is slimmer and easier to adjust and cinch down or loosen. By cinching it down tight to your body, it allows you to more easily climb ladders or trees or use both hands. But the padded area, although wide and comfy, only lays across my back (with rifle in front) or my chest and abdomen (with rifle in back). It doesn’t lay across my shoulders, which bear the brunt of the rifle’s weight. The sling is also rather long and its tail” can dangle a bit when cinched all the way tight on my body. There’s a video on youtube that shows how to cut it to a shorter length without the nylon web fraying.

The BFG VCAS sling is a bit thicker and seems stronger than the VTAC. It’s also not as long and leaves no dangling tail when cinched up. But it’s not as quick and easy to adjust, cinch and loosen as the VTAC, and I never could get it to cinch up as tightly as the VTAC. Also, when it got very wet and muddy, it became very difficult, if not almost impossible, to adjust up or down. I haven’t gotten a chance to use the CTAC in really wet and muddy conditions, though, so I don’t know how well it compares under those conditions.

Aside from the muddy effects on the BFG VCAS sling, both slings, at least when clean and dry, can be tightened quickly and easily so as to be used as a hasty sling.

I’ve never tried the Magpul sling, so can’t comment on it.