who wants this tactical junk?

in the years immediately preceding and following y2k and the social collapse and chaos which was sure to follow i had the great good fortune to work within a mile or so of Tapco, which as we all know is the mother lode of all that is tacticool. i could browse their website from work, order the goods and go pick it up and pay at lunch or on the way home. in those days it was more generically milsurp, vastly more interesting, and you could get things like cleaning kits and parts and ammo pouches for your moisin-nagant or k-98, or even a $25 demilled sten (shoulda bought more of them).

so anyway, to make a long story short(er), i bought some tactical gear. i was only forty-ish then (my, how time flies!) and it seemed plausible that if the zombie apocalypse happened real soon that it would make sense to be able to hump my gear in style, so when they offered up the south korean SPECIAL FORCES web gear i bit. ALICE, all of it, gunbelts, holsters, ammo pouches, canteens, load-bearing vest, the whole deal, the vast majority of it in tactical BLACK nylon (which goes whiff, whiff, whiff as you stealthily sneak up on your next victim, fairbairn knife in your teeth). i was decked, rigged, whatever they called it.

now, all this can be yours, and for a song. free, more or less. well, actually, a story. i suppose a song might do in a pinch. make me laugh or cry or ponder ponderous and it's yours. yes, i've decided to get rid of this crap, and what better place? suppose goodwill would take it? where's the fun in that?

i'll let this sit for a couple of days while i think about getting up a list, or heaven forbid, maybe even pictures! :sorry:

edit: added missing paren.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: who wants this tactical junk?

apparently only two people interested. slightly. i chuckled. a bit. fine with me.
picture time!
water bottle in fleece-lined bag, 2 quarts, i think.
LUGO1014.JPG
mid-size pack. not the big piggie, not the baby piggie, this one's juuuust right.
LUGO1015.JPG
pistol belt w/fanny pack and mag pouches. holster fits large pistols, 1911 or beretta.
LUGO1016.JPG
but wait! there's more!

ok, on to the the load-bearing vest. lots of pockets for your grenades, flashbangs or whatever. very adjustable.
LUGO1017.JPG
another view of the same item; yes, there's another belt, holster, canteen and mag pouch.
LUGO1018.JPG
and last but not least (but not black :( )
2, count them 2 mag pouches with pockets for your spare grenades. each pouch has dividers, holds 3 usgi m16 mags. my orelites and thermolds do not fit well.
LUGO1019.JPG
since there's SO MUCH INTEREST :eh: in this, if you folks want to split this up and share it, lemme know and we'll figure something out. talk to me
Last edited by lurker on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SailDesign wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:12 pm They really heard you coming, didn't they? :D
y2k, man! zombies! commie/capitalist oppressors! .gov is coming to take your gunz! (i can't believe we've been hearing this for 20 years...) take your pick, any or all. they're coming to take me away...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4 (and be sure to check out the flip side)
i haven't mentioned the russki night vision or israeli gas masks yet or uncle mike's sidekick shoulder holster, have i? not up for dibs. maybe another time.
Last edited by lurker on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a comment on the zeitgeist. in 88 while coding tax preparation software for arthur andersen and co (i laughed when they went under), i noticed that we stored years in 2 digits, not 4, and that this was going to be a problem at some point. the rest of the world noticed this same thing in about 1999, and went on a crash (key word, crash) program to fix all the dates in all the code ever written, basically an impossible task, but many a coder and systems engineer made a living from slavishly reformatting files, adding 2 bytes to every year field. we expected nearly every computer program in the entire world to crash shortly after new years, with unforseen consequences. nuclear weapons could explode, vault doors fly open, that sort of thing. nobody knew how it would go. naturally, the media whipped us up into a frenzy. add in some drug-crazed nutcases who acted like zombies and it seemed anything was possible, and anyone who didn't gun up and prepare to either hunker down or bug out to protect our loved ones was either a wimp or irresponsible. otherwise perfectly sane, rational people became preppers. stupid? hell, yes. you kinda had to be there. best of all, we're still falling for it. you don't really think the powers that be will allow their profits to be jeopardized, do you?

I remember those days... Not a 'puter engineer any more by then, but using one every day, so I just turned mine back to 1990 before "The Day" and waited to see. almost no-one was permanently-connected then, so clocks weren't automatically reset if you kicked 'em.

But I remember downloading patches to fix software.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Reminds me of when I was 19 yrs old. First paycheck from my RR job. I went out to buy some clothes with a friend. He talked me into buying a pair of white patent leather shoes, said they were all the rage. When I got home I took them out of the box looked at them and threw them away. At least I didn't buy the checkered bell bottoms with the white patent leather belt he thought I should buy.

I remember those days too. We had to check lots of databases and software.

Since most of it was in SAS ("Statistical Analysis System"), and SAS converted all dates to an integer number, an ordinal that would then be formatted into a date. Date Zero was, I think July 1st, 1962. Earlier dates were negative integers. Without SAS's format it would be confusing. Date-Time were also done as integers, in terms of seconds. I don't remember how THAT worked but it was a very long integer and you just let the format handle it.

So it wasn't that much of a problem. For us.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."