Re: Mantys?

I've got one and it's good. I don't particularly care for the diagnosise it gives for your problems. At least for my shooting it wants to send me down a rabbit hole of trigger finger placement where I think my problems are more with grip.

tldr I don't know if it really is doing everything it claims, but I have found it beneficial anyway.

I have had one of these for a couple of months now. It's interesting, and perhaps useful, but I'm not sure it's accurate. The motion sensor talks to a cellphone/tablet app which then shows you how your aim moves about through the process of firing. However, there is not actually any way for the MantisX to know where the real target is - I assume it is just doing some sort of average position and calling that the center. The motion track itself seems to be reliable, though, so you've got the shape of the motion to examine, at least.

It somehow detects when you pull the trigger and when the bullet fires. I have no idea how it distinguishes these phases of the motion from the pre-trigger phase. But it shows in blue the track before you pull the trigger, yellow the track between the start of the trigger pull and the bullet being fired, and red after the bullet is fired. You can clearly distinguish these phases by the motion you see, so I think it's detection must be pretty accurate here. The yellow phase becomes much less chaotic as you apply new forces to the gun, and the red phase frequently rises up off the screen from the recoil and the barrel going up.

It tries to diagnose your shot too, telling you if you are heeling the gun, gripping too tight, pushing the trigger to the side as you squeeze, etc. Here I don't know if it's really being accurate or not, but if nothing else I have found that the constant reminders of the elements of good technique helps me to focus on what I'm doing and I do think it helps me to improve my shots.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

RapidButterfly wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:35 pm I was considering one too. How does it work if you, say, dry fire at multiple targets in multiple locations, as one does when working through Stoeger’s dry fire drills?
I've never tried multiple targets, but of course I have to pull back the slide again after each shot, so when I dry fire with the Mantis I have to take the gun off target between shots. It handles that just fine.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

In an effort to procrastinate on some annoying tickets today I slapped the MantisX on top of the very front of the rail of one of my AR-15s (the app lets you specify where the sensor is mounted and if its on a rifle or pistol). This is a relatively heavy 20" barrel with an 18" handguard and bipod. First as a reference here is what a track looks like on my Sig P226:
Screenshot_20190305-100545.png
The blue line is pre-trigger pull, the yellow is the trigger pull and the red is the follow through.

Here is a rifle seated, off hand:
Screenshot_20190305-100442.png
And here is the rifle prone from a bipod:
Screenshot_20190305-100453.png
The two rifle screenshots are zoomed in and appear to have accurately captured the dry fire (I don't see any crazy movement from when I cocked the gun with the charging handle).

It does look like switching to rifle gives a bunch of different exercises that aren't there for pistol, like slow-fire at 200 yards or rapid fire at 200 yards. I might take this out on a rifle this weekend and see how it does with live fire.

Just chiming in with "I also have one." It has definitely helped me with my G42. It makes gry firing more productive. It also provides good feedback when I am at the range.

It was one of my better gun accessory purchases.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

I took the MantisX out last weekend and hooked it up to the top front of the fore-end of my Tikka to see how it would perform on a rifle during live fire. This was shot from bags on a bench so the data isn't super interesting but it does show some stuff that people might find useful.

Here is the group that I downloaded the images for:
IMG_20190310_220459.jpg
The total result of that string gave a result like this:
Screenshot_20190310-214410.png
Screenshot_20190310-214406.png

Marlene wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:34 pm that's something I hadn't thought of, definitely a good use
I had been thinking more of leaning to shoot rifles well from the bench that are for one reason or another hard to manage repeatably (like guns with a lot of stock bend designed for offhand shooting, etc