Re: Tactical Knives

TxChinaman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 pm I always suggest Spyderco folding knives. They are light, tough, durable, thin instead of bulky, and highly useful. Gerber make similar but (IMHO) just so slightly lower quality, but still very, very good. There's also CRKT High Risk Environment. Super-tough, a bit bulkier than Spyderco or Gerber, but not bad.
My EDC is a Spyderco Delica, black with partially serrated blade. It seems to be fine for all of my cutting tasks. I'm looking at bigger auto knives at the moment for some reason...
I think the Delica is the best Spyderco, and the partially serrated the best of them. My current one is fully serrated because it was that or fully smooth. They are light, tough, and open one-handed really easily.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 pm I always suggest Spyderco folding knives. They are light, tough, durable, thin instead of bulky, and highly useful. Gerber make similar but (IMHO) just so slightly lower quality, but still very, very good. There's also CRKT High Risk Environment. Super-tough, a bit bulkier than Spyderco or Gerber, but not bad.
My EDC is a Spyderco Delica, black with partially serrated blade. It seems to be fine for all of my cutting tasks. I'm looking at bigger auto knives at the moment for some reason...
I've always been on the fence about Spyderco folding knives, and serrated knives. I hate serrations (a properly sharpened knife shouldn't need them unless cutting tomatoes?) and am not fond of Spyderco's silly "googly eye" opener. BUT - I have one, particular model lost in the mists of time, that isn't as extreme as their smaller fare that is a joy. I also have their fixed-blade Puuko which is simply superb.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm
I've always been on the fence about Spyderco folding knives, and serrated knives. I hate serrations (a properly sharpened knife shouldn't need them unless cutting tomatoes?) and am not fond of Spyderco's silly "googly eye" opener. BUT - I have one, particular model lost in the mists of time, that isn't as extreme as their smaller fare that is a joy. I also have their fixed-blade Puuko which is simply superb.
They do make smooth bladed versions, and the big, circular eye makes it one of the easiest and fasted one-handed openers you can get (without spring assist). Other brands seem to take a lot more practice.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

SailDesign wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:22 am
lurker wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 am yeah, that whole tactical thing. i had the opportunity to be tactical in um, '73? had a nice low #, in the 50s. but then nixon cancelled the lottery. thanks, dick.
Yup - believe mine was 3... Sillily, for the time, left my comfy home in the UK (and my 4-F rating due to living in the UK) to come to college in 73 in the States, and a healthy 1-A rating.... Dickie also kept me from a tactical future.
Mine was 54 in 1970 but being blind in one eye kept me at home. Tactical knives to me is the same as the tatcool pants and other such stuff. If I’m going to go to a knife fight I carry a gun. If in combat needing a knife I have wash at many of out Grandads and Dads carried a K-Bar or Bowie knife. For everyday carry it is my little pocket Buck knife that cuts just about anything I need to cut, except in the kitchen. In the Kitchen it is my 20 yr old Moley Steel 10 inch chefs knife.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pmThey do make smooth bladed versions, and the big, circular eye makes it one of the easiest and fasted one-handed openers you can get (without spring assist). Other brands seem to take a lot more practice.
Yup - both of mine are "reg'lar" blades. I only have one serrated on in the house, and that is the tomato knife. :)

SailDesign wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pmThey do make smooth bladed versions, and the big, circular eye makes it one of the easiest and fasted one-handed openers you can get (without spring assist). Other brands seem to take a lot more practice.
Yup - both of mine are "reg'lar" blades. I only have one serrated on in the house, and that is the tomato knife. :)
When I was young and poor, someone gave me a treasure: A stainless steel Sabatier serrated bread knife. It was the only fine (hell, only good) knife in what passed for my kitchen. I used it for EVERYTHING in the kitchen, because nothing else compared. 40 years later, it's STILL in our knife block, but these days it's just a bread knife again. Still holds a good edge, too! :love:

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:33 pm
When I was young and poor, someone gave me a treasure: A stainless steel Sabatier serrated bread knife. It was the only fine (hell, only good) knife in what passed for my kitchen. I used it for EVERYTHING in the kitchen, because nothing else compared. 40 years later, it's STILL in our knife block, but these days it's just a bread knife again. Still holds a good edge, too! :love:
Aaaah - yes. Many years ago now (like 1982, which CANNOT have been 37 years ago, really) I had to work with a small computer company upstairs from a chefs' supply store in London. We still have, and use, the 10" 'Sabattier Jeune' chef's knife I couldn't resist on the way past.... Holds an edge superbly.

SailDesign wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:50 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:33 pm
Aaaah - yes. Many years ago now (like 1982, which CANNOT have been 37 years ago, really) I had to work with a small computer company upstairs from a chefs' supply store in London. We still have, and use, the 10" 'Sabattier Jeune' chef's knife I couldn't resist on the way past.... Holds an edge superbly.
Great story!

In 1986, my fiancee's mother was furious with me (well, in the early days that happened too often... :shock: ) because I bought her pots and pans. She said: "But Ma, THAT's what I wanted! He got me full set of Cuisinart cookware and Wüsthof 10" chef's knife! They are WONDERFUL!"
I guess my mother-in-law got over it because we've gotten on really well for a couple of decades now. But I don't think she ever saw spending a lot of money on pots and pans as making any damn sense!
But, then again, my wife is a hell of a lot better at cooking than her mom ever was! :D
We still have the full set, though newer stuff hangs on the pot rack. That Wüsthof is still her go-to kitchen knife. My favorite is a razor-sharp ceramic gray Kyocera 8" chef's knife.