Re: Looking for hearing and eye protection

CDFingers wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 pm If you're shooting indoors, wear foamies ($3.99) underneath some ear muffs of at least 30 dB noise reduction. Outdoors it would be OK with just the 30 dB muffs.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting/sho ... /p/1416908

CDFingers
I use the orange ear plugs on a blue string Home Depot sells, and -30db muffs over that. I prefer yellow over-glasses eye protection. Yellow filters blue light making things sharper, with my astigmatism and myopia.
I find the H-D -30dbs are just as good as the Sig-Sauer. I don't know anything about electronic ear muffs.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I agree with the above. Ear protection products have a noise reduction rating or NRR listed on a product. The higher NRR number the better. Plugs and ear muffs together are the best. Found cheap muffs at Harbor Freight with a very high NRR, an extra pair when I take someone to the range. Construction workers need ear protection too.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 am I agree with the above. Ear protection products have a noise reduction rating or NRR listed on a product. The higher NRR number the better. Plugs and ear muffs together are the best. Found cheap muffs at Harbor Freight with a very high NRR, an extra pair when I take someone to the range. Construction workers need ear protection too.
I ended up getting some from Amazon with an NRR of 26dB. It was a pack of 12 pairs, and they all have leashes, and one case, but I'll add some muffs to it, too.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:41 pm Go for -30db muffs. Easy to come by--Home Depot.
I haven't checked but I think that's what the pair I bought at Harbor Freight is, 30 NRR. Have to protect your hearing when you're young, but it also helps if you have the right gene. Home Depot and Harbor Freight seem to be everywhere.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

polymath wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm For glasses I recommend getting something that meets the MIL-PRF-31013 standard, which is much more stringent than the typical Z87.1, and you can see the difference when you handle such a setup: the lenses are much thicker, probably 3-4mm. They're a bit more expensive, but your vision is worth it. https://www.opticsplanet.com/wiley-x-sa ... ckage.html is a good inexpensive setup for indoor/outdoor use.
Those are a bit out of my price range at the moment.
Wino wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 am I use Pyramex V2G googles with insertable prescription lens frame. The strap is flat enough it doesn't interfere with earmuffs.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/rx6400.html
Hey, I had a pair like that for woodworking! They worked great.