Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
joeblow9999
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#1 Post by joeblow9999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am

:sarcasm:

.....anyone see the parallels in our gun debate?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/16/a- ... ker-bombs/

User avatar
GuitarsandGuns
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6011
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Afghanistan West
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#2 Post by GuitarsandGuns » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

User avatar
senorgrand
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17242
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#3 Post by senorgrand » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:09 pm

It's a piece of metal with a screw top. I'm sure a trip to Home Depot would produce something similar, just with more effort...although less effort than procuring TNT.
Image

Release the tapes!

joeblow9999
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#4 Post by joeblow9999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm

senorgrand wrote:It's a piece of metal with a screw top. I'm sure a trip to Home Depot would produce something similar, just with more effort...although less effort than procuring TNT.
Background check? Afterall, we are legislating based upon statistical outliers.

User avatar
senorgrand
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17242
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#5 Post by senorgrand » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Actually, the reason we know they were pressure cookers is that one of the lids was found on top of a building. If the bomber(s) had used something more sturdy, more of the blast would have been directed OUT instead of UP.
Image

Release the tapes!

joeblow9999
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#6 Post by joeblow9999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 pm

senorgrand wrote:Actually, the reason we know they were pressure cookers is that one of the lids was found on top of a building. If the bomber(s) had used something more sturdy, more of the blast would have been directed OUT instead of UP.
Still, if these devices and buyers were at least registered we would have easier time matching serial numbers to perps. It should be easy as only 50,000 are sold in the US each year... far more easy than other devices out there.

User avatar
DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 8868
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 pm
Location: SoNH
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#7 Post by DispositionMatrix » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:48 pm

You don't need a pressure cooker. Get a shotgun. Get a shotgun.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

User avatar
Elmo
Moderator
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#8 Post by Elmo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 pm

You know, I wanted to let a few days pass before bringing this up, so as not to sound too detached (or something), but here goes.

It is interesting in several ways that this horrible example of non-gun violence has occurred in the middle of a national debate about gun violence.

(And yes, the timing is coincidence -- I'm not promoting some kind of idiotic conspiracy theory!)

And yes, it cuts both ways politically in the gun debate. Those who are trying hard to limit guns and/or gun rights ought to ask whether their priorities are misplaced. Maybe there are bigger fears and threats than individual gun owners.

But for the NRA and their allies that promote more guns as the solution need to stop and think as well. A good guy/gal with a gun probably can't stop, or protect himself/herself from, a hidden bomb planted by a terrorist.

No solution to offer. Just asking for some humility and reflection in our conversation about public policy. (I know, like THAT's likely to happen!)
Image
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

gascolator
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#9 Post by gascolator » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Except for certain circles, pressure cookers are probably not much in vogue here.

But in places where dried foods, like beans, lentils, etc., are used and where it's necessary to conserve the energy needed to boil water, pressure cookers are just the thing.

It's not surprising that it's a container-of-choice in places like Afghanistan, India, etc. There's no Home Depot or Lowes there, but there sure as hell are plenty of pressure-cookers.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17399
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#10 Post by shinzen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I just bought a pressure canner/cooker last week. Does that put me on the watch list? I didn't fill out the ATF form or pay my tax stamp, am I in violation of the NFA pressure cooker act??

All joking aside, I think you bring up some good points larrymod. The truth is, nobody could have prevented this from happening, and there's no legislation that could fix it. Some guy walking around with a backpack is no more suspect than someone running down the street in a hoodie. A good guy with a gun would have done nothing, and banning pressure cookers would have done nothing- we, as a society have to accept, as has been pointed out before, that in a free society (or hell, any society) that there will be bad things that happen. We can't always prevent them, we can't legislate for everything.
Image

User avatar
Elmo
Moderator
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#11 Post by Elmo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm

My Mom used to cook with a pressure cooker when I was a kid (pot roast, soup, etc.)

They fell out of favor, ironically, because they had a danger of accidentally blowing up if their outlet valve got clogged (split pea soup was infamous for doing this).

The newer models (and my wife also just bought one recently!) supposedly have a safer steam release valve.

Good point, Gascolator, about their advantages for energy conservation. Cooking fuel is extremely precious in most of the developing world.
Image
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

User avatar
DoctorB
Loquacious
Posts: 2379
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: I don't post this much. Someone else is doing this without my knowledge! Really!
Contact:

Re: Pressure Cookers Call for Ban on Dianne Feinstein

#12 Post by DoctorB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 pm

All we need to do is implement a course where those desiring to purchase an explosive device such as a pressure cooker can demonstrate their mastery of culinary basics. Dice an onion, flip some hash browns while retaining 95% of the potatoes in the pan, boil a 4 minute egg, and cook a sausage without drying it out YET have no pink inside.

Then a Certified Cook license may be issued with which the person can purchase the pressure cooker, which will be placed in the merchant's safe.

Then they'll submit an application to BATFE in duplicate, pay a $200 Destructive Devices tax stamp and wait 7 months for BATFE to process the application PROVIDED that the applicant affix two fingerprint cards, two clear photos or establish a Living Trust or Corporation to effect the purchase.

After the speedy 7 month approval is completed the purchaser may take posession of their pressure cooker and do something with that Corned Beef that Fred Meyer sells, because, damn.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

joeblow9999
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Pressure Cookers Call for Ban on Dianne Feinstein

#13 Post by joeblow9999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 pm

DoctorB wrote:All we need to do is implement a course where those desiring to purchase an explosive device such as a pressure cooker can demonstrate their mastery of culinary basics. Dice an onion, flip some hash browns while retaining 95% of the potatoes in the pan, boil a 4 minute egg, and cook a sausage without drying it out YET have no pink inside.

Then a Certified Cook license may be issued with which the person can purchase the pressure cooker, which will be placed in the merchant's safe.

Then they'll submit an application to BATFE in duplicate, pay a $200 Destructive Devices tax stamp and wait 7 months for BATFE to process the application PROVIDED that the applicant affix two fingerprint cards, two clear photos or establish a Living Trust or Corporation to effect the purchase.

After the speedy 7 month approval is completed the purchaser may take posession of their pressure cooker and do something with that Corned Beef that Fred Meyer sells, because, damn.
....and in California.... after going through all of that be promptly denied for not having "proper reason" due to not being in the movie or tv industry.

whitey
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6279
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Chesapeake,VA
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#14 Post by whitey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

larrymod wrote:But for the NRA and their allies that promote more guns as the solution need to stop and think as well. A good guy/gal with a gun probably can't stop, or protect himself/herself from, a hidden bomb planted by a terrorist.
Probably can't stop? I'm gonna guess that one would never be able to stop it.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

User avatar
AmirMortal
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 8380
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 pm
Location: Florida's Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#15 Post by AmirMortal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

"No honest man needs more than 10 cups capacity."
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14426
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#16 Post by Inquisitor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

joeblow9999 wrote::sarcasm:

.....anyone see the parallels in our gun debate?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/16/a- ... ker-bombs/
"There have been 116 incident free Marathons" paraphrased from the Governor earlier. You do the math.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17399
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Pressure Cookers Call for Ban on Dianne Feinstein

#17 Post by shinzen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm

joeblow9999 wrote:
DoctorB wrote:All we need to do is implement a course where those desiring to purchase an explosive device such as a pressure cooker can demonstrate their mastery of culinary basics. Dice an onion, flip some hash browns while retaining 95% of the potatoes in the pan, boil a 4 minute egg, and cook a sausage without drying it out YET have no pink inside.

Then a Certified Cook license may be issued with which the person can purchase the pressure cooker, which will be placed in the merchant's safe.

Then they'll submit an application to BATFE in duplicate, pay a $200 Destructive Devices tax stamp and wait 7 months for BATFE to process the application PROVIDED that the applicant affix two fingerprint cards, two clear photos or establish a Living Trust or Corporation to effect the purchase.

After the speedy 7 month approval is completed the purchaser may take posession of their pressure cooker and do something with that Corned Beef that Fred Meyer sells, because, damn.
....and in California.... after going through all of that be promptly denied for not having "proper reason" due to not being in the movie or tv industry.
And in Colorado, you can own it, but only if it goes to 15lbs of pressure or less.....
Image

User avatar
GuitarsandGuns
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6011
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Afghanistan West
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#18 Post by GuitarsandGuns » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Black humor aside, Now that this has happened, It certainly is a counterpoint to the "Look! The thingee, the fiendish thingee is dangerous!"
"Outlaw the thingee! the thingee is dangerous." "Outlaw the alcohol! the Weed, the sex you don't like."
Meh.

The gun and spoon.

Fishingal sent me this.
My Gun and Spoons

Today I opened my front door wide open and set my Winchester Model 94
right in the doorway. I placed 6 cartridges beside it and, noticing that the
gun had no legs, set it on my mom's old wheelchair to help it get around.
I then left it alone and went about my business. While I was gone, the
mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed
the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars
stopped at the stop sign right in front of our house.

After a couple of hours, I checked on the gun. It was still setting there in
the wheelchair, right where I had left it. It hadn't rolled itself outside. It
certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it
had been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well, you can imagine my surprise, what with all the media hype about
how dangerous guns are and how they kill people. Either the media is
wrong, and it's the misuse of guns by PEOPLE that kill people, or I'm in
possession of the laziest gun in the world.

Alright, well I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

User avatar
SmokeFan
Moderator
Posts: 3949
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am
Location: Wyoming (LGC Member)
Contact:

Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#19 Post by SmokeFan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:00 pm

So some of my FB friends are current or former parishioners of my old church, as well as the pastor of said church. Today a former parishioner in his 20's shared a graphic with pix from the Boston Mara finish line and from Sandy Hook with captions to the effect of "Bombing - blame the person , shooting - blame the gun" to which the pastor replied along the lines of "oh Max, et tu Brute?" and the "who needs an assault rifle for hunting" BS...

So I couldn't help commenting that the graphic has a point, that people aren't exactly calling for banning pressure cookers...(I almost added that well, no one really NEEDS a pressure cooker...)
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)

Image

Fukshot
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17691
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:42 am

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#20 Post by Fukshot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 pm

I miss my old giant cast aluminum Montgomery Ward's screw-down plug-top, It had awesome art deco decorative details and bakelite handles. It ran up to 50 psi and had a pressure gauge that actually read in pounds. Someone left a couple of forks and a half inch of water in it and put it back on the shelf. A month later, it had corroded beyond usability :wavecry:

I still hate roommates.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 17399
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER:Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#21 Post by shinzen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Fukshot wrote:I miss my old giant cast aluminum Montgomery Ward's screw-down plug-top, It had awesome art deco decorative details and bakelite handles. It ran up to 50 psi and had a pressure gauge that actually read in pounds. Someone left a couple of forks and a half inch of water in it and put it back on the shelf. A month later, it had corroded beyond usability :wavecry:

I still hate roommates.
The new "all american" stainless steel ones are nice if you have a couple hundred bucks to spend- screw down tops, no rubber seal to worry about- built like a tank. And definitely on the prohibited assault cooker list. (has more than two features. pressure gauge and locking screws)
Image

User avatar
Bucolic
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#22 Post by Bucolic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Fukshot wrote:I miss my old giant cast aluminum Montgomery Ward's screw-down plug-top, It had awesome art deco decorative details and bakelite handles. It ran up to 50 psi and had a pressure gauge that actually read in pounds. Someone left a couple of forks and a half inch of water in it and put it back on the shelf. A month later, it had corroded beyond usability :wavecry:

I still hate roommates.
There are two on eBay right now. Here's a link to one of them

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US
Neverthless, she persisted.

Image

whitey
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6279
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Chesapeake,VA
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#23 Post by whitey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Doesn't KFC use pressure cookers to cook their dirty birds?
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

User avatar
Yossarian
Chatty
Posts: 1440
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 am
Location: NorCal
Contact:

Re: Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#24 Post by Yossarian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm

senorgrand wrote:Actually, the reason we know they were pressure cookers is that one of the lids was found on top of a building. If the bomber(s) had used something more sturdy, more of the blast would have been directed OUT instead of UP.
My hunch is the pressure cooker was on its side, rather than pointing upward. We don't know for sure though.

I use a pressure cooker a couple times weekly. I don't have a microwave, which isn't that good for cooking anyway. Artichokes, potatoes and chicken each take 20 minutes under pressure. Carrots take 6 minutes. Green beans take 2. It shortens my time in the kitchen.

I gave an old one away to a friend, and now have something better. Now I realize I should be stockpiling.
Capitalism was reasonably content under Hitler, happy under Mussolini, very happy under Franco and delirious under General Pinochet. -- John Ralston Saul

User avatar
Bucolic
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Dianne Feinstein Calls for Ban on Pressure Cookers

#25 Post by Bucolic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm

So you're saying there will be a pressure cooker shortage?
Neverthless, she persisted.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests