Another take on open carry

Sitting at my desk working on my day job, one of those "aha!" moments popped into my head. I've wrestled with why exactly the Open Carry movement annoys me. To be clear, as has been discussed time and time again, I don't disagree that one has the right to do it, just that it's in poor taste, and doesn't actually help our cause. But why is that?

Back when I was living in Denver, it seemed that once every month or so I'd be heading downtown to a restaurant or for some other purpose, and right on the corner of Colorado and Leetsdale, the anti-abortion protesters would be out in full force. They had disgusting giant posters of an aborted fetus, were screaming some nonsensical crap at passers-by, and waved those posters at cars, hoping that they'd get cars to honk, showing their everlasting support of the cause. Most times, they seemed a bit confused as to why people drove by without acknowledging them or giving them the bird (as I did on many occasions).

The real problem with this group of people is that they believe SO strongly in their position, they cannot fathom, in any way, that others may not feel the same way as they do. Even amongst most people I know who are in fact, anti-right to choose, they look at this type of display as nothing more than a public ejaculation of fundamentalist dogma. Most also realize that there's not a single person who would be swayed by such a public display- they merely ascribe to the belief that any exposure is better than no exposure.

So what actually happens to the opinions of folks who see these displays? Because the method of delivering the message is so far outside the socially acceptable norm, it pushes even those who might otherwise sympathise with the point to the other camp, and hardens the position of those who lean the other way.

Let me be clear. I don't find guns or abortions disturbing. I'm proudly pro-choice, and don't discriminate against stainless or polymer, semi or revolver. However, I do find the method of delivering the message to be juvenile at best, and harmful to the cause at worst. In fact, if I was giving advice from the other side of either argument, I'd highly encourage both the posters and the public displays of firearms so it would strengthen my position in the public debate. I could happily point to how crazy the other side is with pictures (which is done regularly) and sway public opinion to my favor.

Carrying a gun is a responsibility to not be taken lightly. The current political climate could easily swing against us- that makes it even more important to choose how we have these conversations, and not let the immature mall ninja's drive the discourse. If we do, then we will lose. The public will see us as nothing more than a stereotype, some idiots who feel like they want to show off their toys and scare unsuspecting moms (who now are against stuff and things, thanks to being scared by the mall ninjas)

I ask that, particularly here, we seek to elevate the conversation. Realize that actions have consequences. The universal law of cause and effect can only be ignored at our peril.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Another take on open carry

Remember "please don't squeeze the Charmin". Obnoxious, frequently seen, generally disliked, but it was effective advertising. It does deliver the message, the message lingers in the little grey cells, and does effect decisions. Being silent seems to be a way to be ignored. Apparently, many would rather be loud and obnoxious than ignored.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I worked with a nun who was constantly being arrested for her pro-life activities. The police usually called it "breaking and entering". One time the Dallas paper had a front page photo of her being hauled off by the police in an unflattering configuration.

She brought up the subject once of getting her message out and I said that her behaviors were so far out there I'd bet most people saw only some out of control person being locked up. I suggested she check that she didn't overshadow whatever she was trying to share. She said nothing and stared.

The open carry movement is just a whimsical show put on by people without the skills needed to communicate effectively.
Open-Carry-Kansas.jpg

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote: She brought up the subject once of getting her message out and I said that her behaviors were so far out there I'd bet most people saw only some out of control person being locked up.
An important point. What is the message you are attempting to send with the actions you are taking? Because if it's "Look, another crazy gun nut/Ted Nugent Clone", then the message is clearly getting out. Just like having those posters waving about gets out the message of "Look, another crazy anti who may try to blow up Planned Parenthood"

I'm not saying there is no place for demonstrations. Or to be silent. Just to choose the message carefully, and ensure that the brand you are trying to foster accurately represents what it is that you want public to realize. Branding isn't just for corporations, and tossing your hat in with the crazies just puts you in the same bucket.

Is is a shoulder thingy that goes up?? Thought it looked like it had a bipod hanging on it, but my eyes may be deceiving me.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The problem is that the exorcize of a right that over 60% of folks really could not care less about is it's hard to do in a way that won't piss that same demographic off.

In Texas it seems the easy way to keep it from being Disturbing the Peace is to have more than three folks doing it on public land as Texas Law Shield was informed of that rather stupid decision from Austin PD. If those same three folks were wearing high-zoot trap shooting outfits and carrying top-end Italian break-actions there would be little if any freakout, much the same as there were fewer issues with folks wearing business casual while sporting their higher-end 1911's in OWB holsters while at Starbuck's.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:If those same three folks were wearing high-zoot trap shooting outfits and carrying top-end Italian break-actions there would be little if any freakout, much the same as there were fewer issues with folks wearing business casual while sporting their higher-end 1911's in OWB holsters while at Starbuck's.
This actually goes to what I brought up about branding. Whenever you do something as a public statement, people will remember the stereotype based on how the individual looks, with maybe .5% retention on the message. Showing up looking like the Chipotle idiots or like a mall ninja operator will garner nothing but ridicule and fear from the anti's.

As a person that speaks in front of large groups and interacts with customers, I realize that my appearance is the first and last thing about me that people remember. I show up to business meetings or speaking engagements dressed in a suit. If I were to show up looking ratty, unwashed, and like I'd just gotten out of bed from my mom's basement, I wouldn't have my job, nor should I be interacting with customers. If people are dead set on doing what is, in my opinion, a dumb display, at least manage your brand so that you're not going to leave a bad lasting impression.

I guess where I'm headed with this part is that if the OC'er look like they should be on the TV show Cops, and not as a detective, perhaps it's time to think about whether or not the impression being left is a positive one for the cause.

For some reason people tend to trust someone that's well dressed (doesn't have to be expensively dressed). Use that.
- Maya Angelou

Above, I wrote "just because one may does not mean necessarily that one should."

Case in point:
A group of women who opposes their display of weapons struck on a novel way to perturb the gun-fondlers: Follow them around topless.
link:

http://gawker.com/texas-open-carry-rall ... 1612140734

The men asked the women "why." They replied, "It's legal."

They stood at an impasse, one group decidedly more comfortable than the other.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

PiratePenguin wrote:
CDFingers wrote: The men asked the women "why." They replied, "It's legal."

They stood at an impasse, one group decidedly more comfortable than the other
Wait, topless women will start following them around is supposed to deter them from open carrying? Is this some weird conservative sex-hangup?
I wonder, if I started packing my .44 around the house on my hip could I get my wife to "protest"?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
PiratePenguin wrote:
CDFingers wrote: The men asked the women "why." They replied, "It's legal."

They stood at an impasse, one group decidedly more comfortable than the other
Wait, topless women will start following them around is supposed to deter them from open carrying? Is this some weird conservative sex-hangup?
I wonder, if I started packing my .44 around the house on my hip could I get my wife to "protest"?
:roflmao:
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

:hmmm:
I may have to try this one myself!
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:

:hmmm:
I may have to try this one myself!
Yep! As to my first response, I couldn't figure how this would discourage open carry, if I was inclined it would rather encourage it!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.