Re: Police shoot man holding an air rifle in Walmart

After reading Mister Skulls post and the thread on swatting. Also the link on the kid getting 25 to life for swatting, maybe it it time to use the same on those calling 911 on people peacefully caring guns in a non- threatening manner. Would the gentleman that was killed still be alive, if the ex marine knew he would be facing 25 to life for a 911 call.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Of course, 25 to life for a bad call could lead to no call, which could lead to a blood bath without the cops present.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/ ... n_bias.htm
In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.
Confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study.
Confirmation bias is a phenomenon wherein decision makers have been shown to actively seek out and assign more weight to evidence that confirms their hypothesis, and ignore or underweigh evidence that could disconfirm their hypothesis.
As such, it can be thought of as a form of selection bias in collecting evidence.
Lot of this present in any cop shooting. Except for the occasional well earned driving ticket, I've had no bad cop experiences and several good, but I qualify as WASP, lite on the P, so I admit to it. I'll give cops the benefit of the doubt and wait for a jury to decide based on more than internet chatter and sensational media reports.

There are about 900,000 cops in the US.
PDATE (8/15/14): USA Today reported that on average there were 96 cases of a white police officer killing a black person each year between 2006 and 2012,
The vast majority of cops never kill anyone. Lots of cops getting beat up and hurt, and not killing anyone.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/
A total of 1,501 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 58 hours or 150 per year. There were 100 law enforcement officers killed in 2013.
On average, over the last decade, there have been 58,261 assaults against law enforcement each year, resulting in 15,658 injuries.
CNN apparently covers dead blacks better than dead cops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_c ... ted_States
According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and Native Americans and Asians 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most murders were intraracial, with 84% of white homicide victims murdered by whites, and 93% of black victims murdered by blacks.[32][33]
While there is a correlation between blacks and Hispanics and crime, the data implies a stronger tie between poverty and crime than crime and any racial group, when gender is taken into consideration
The direct correlation between crime and class, when factoring for race alone, is relatively weak. When gender, and familial history are factored, class correlates more strongly with crime than race or ethnicity.[42][43] Studies indicate that areas with low socioeconomic status may have the greatest correlation of crime with young and adult males, regardless of racial composition, though its effect on females is negligible.[42][43]
Research shows that people(not just cops) react faster to a perceived threat when the aggressor is black. Even blacks react faster.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

amrev360 wrote:it is well known that black people are routinely harassed and racially profiled by white customers. It is also well known that the police routinely shoot black people for no reason at all and the media love to cover the asses of the racist cops.

Surveilance footage is out, turns out the racist cops and the media lied (big surprise)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/26/v ... rney-says/
The surveillance footage is not in the video on that page. That video contains an interview with an attorney instead. Was the link to the surveillance video removed from this thread?

FlintlockPhryne wrote:The surveillance footage is not in the video on that page. That video contains an interview with an attorney instead. Was the link to the surveillance video removed from this thread?
Fwiw, the Ohio AG, Mike DeWine, has been adamant regarding the release of the actual video, stating it is still an investigation and might jeopardize a fair trial for any potential defendants. I've been looking to view it myself but don't expect to for some time.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

So, more info on this story that I ran across today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... ss-account

The 911 caller has changed his story and now says "At no point did he shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody" which directly contradicts his call to police dispatch.

His service in the Marines also turns out to be false as he was apparently thrown out after less than two months over fraudulent enlistment.

But this quote from the 911 caller, this boils my blood:
“And even still, it’s a gun in Walmart, in a public place, inducing panic,” said Ritchie.
I don't even have to say where we've heard that kind of talk before. I'm pretty sure everyone knows.

Now you folks know me, I'm not a huge supporter of open carry. We don't live in Switzerland, we're not in a country where carrying a slung long gun is non-controversial, mainly thanks to the press which has decided it's entirely fine to try and convince every single person in the country that they're all minutes away from getting shredded by some maladjusted kid with a $2000 AR.

But I am damn sure not a supporter of purposely getting someone killed by the police because they scared me or because I don't like what they're doing. That is exactly what this 911 caller did. And what he did has been repeatedly advocated by anti-gun folks all over the internet from anonymous bloggers to big-name pundits, with one main idea behind it: if one of them gets killed, it will scare the rest into changing their behavior.

The usual sites I've seen writing about this are being very, very careful how they talk about what happened. They blame the cops. They blame the store, for selling "realistic" air rifles. They blame open carry groups. They blame the NRA. They say the 911 caller only made the call because John Crawford III was black.

I have found ONE article where someone asks why the 911 caller isn't being charged for criminally negligent homicide for giving false information to 911 dispatch. One. I will not link to it, because the site and most of the people on it disgust me. But since it's the only one, it won't be that hard to find if you're so inclined.

My only hope is that at some point, the scummy little coward who called 911 ends up in fucking prison for negligent homicide. And I DO hope it sends a message to anyone else thinking about doing the same thing because in this case, someone fucking DIED because of what he did. As far as I am aware, the number of people killed due to open carry rallies still stands at zero.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

CINCINNATI (AP) — An Ohio grand jury found officers' actions were justified in last month's fatal shooting of a man holding an air rifle at a Wal-Mart store, a special prosecutor said Wednesday, a decision the man's family said left them "disgusted."

The Greene County grand jury in Xenia opted not to issue any indictments in the Aug. 5 death of 22-year-old John Crawford III in Beavercreek, Special Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier said.
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 12&t=28761

Speechless.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

gator68 wrote:Video is released. I saw it through Slate.com. Looks like murder to me.
Jesus, the police were a ways off when they fired. Crawford didn't have a chance.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/S9FtNOV6Qhk[/youtu_be]
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

I'm not sure I would've voted to indict the police. They were acting on the best info they had: a man with an assault rifle waving it around and even pointing it at people. That's what the police are told by a 911 caller. And despite the fact the assault rifles are not used nearly as often as handguns during crimes, assault rifles really push out the kill zone as well as upping the lethality.

If you're a police officer, how do you safely approach a guy who appears to have an assault rifle and is in a corner of the store where he can see you coming? And when it's a store that size that is not evacuated?

JackRussell wrote:
OldScratch wrote:Sad. Real sad. One person does something stupid and it dovetails into one stupid event after another.
Always the result when humans are involved. We're some dumb fucks, I gotta say.
Well we are human, unlike the gods we are not perfect.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw