Re: Demanding moms target Kroger

Thanks Fukshot! :clap2:

And I'm really not a fan of shutting down discussion by inventing negative meanings to words. It's real simple, the organization claims to represent "moms" and the organization is "demanding" that everyone complies to their view. That's in simplified terms "demanding moms".

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

FlintlockPhryne wrote:About the "Demanding moms" thing, it IS offensive because while "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" clearly states the purpose of the organization, "demanding moms" is just a euphemism for "nagging women." It is sexist and probably originated with the very same gun bullies we oppose. Can't we all just shoot and get along?
Mothers Against Drunk Driving had no problem with being called "the MADD Mothers."
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

FlintlockPhryne wrote: I have not seen any evidence of my chapter misleading anyone.
SmokeFan wrote: So am I to understand that you are involved with a MDA chapter?
That would be my question as well...not that it matters; all are welcome here, that is as long as they are capable of following a few simple rules. Please review so that there are no accidents:
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... f=1&t=1321
and of course that would include the TOS everyone agreed to when they signed up to use the forum:
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... mode=terms
There will be a test so study hard!
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

brandonsmash wrote:It was brought to my attention that TrilbyGuy is simply an OC asshat in Tarrant County, in which case Choosy Moms are simply cherry-picking photos of this guy.

In this case I was wrong with my conclusions and apologize.
DM found an easy mark, so why change. Also shows how rare these OC guys are!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I'm pretty sure they had to drop the Million Mom bs when they couldn't even get 50 to show up for a demonstration. Them there was the pic they put up on FB which was clearly stolen from their opposition and in fact depicted gun rights activists rallying, but instead claimed it was the Demanding Mom's themselves. I will continue to disregard organizations which are so hollow and Astroturf that they've got to lie and invent things in order to push their highly unpopular agendas. When you lie, you lose credibility overall, but when you lie about key issues of your platform, what you're Demanding is to be disregarded and marginalized. They've done this to themselves... Almost intentionally, it would seem.

Also, +1000 Fukshot!
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

My mom has demanded a lot of things over my lifetime that I've ignored or outright scorned. I'm sure not going to listen to someone else's mom if they're being unreasonable. So "Mom" holds no default higher moral authority in my mind.

If it wasn't an astroturf movement and was and actual grass roots movement, the ladies would still be like the Women's Christian Temperance Union that helped usher in prohibition. A for your own good movement that has no idea how badly the unintended results of their actions could turn out.

Alcohol prohibition, gambling prohibition, and drug prohibition has led to organized crime raking in billions. It should be obvious that gun prohibition would follow the same route before eventually being overturned.
Brian

Fukshot wrote: This really is a brilliant piece of PR work. I'm quite impressed. You also clearly follow this strategic approach closely by invoking "gun bullies" as the frame for anyone who opposes you. It's a pretty sophisticated strategy for foreclosing critical discourse on the issues at hand. That works pretty well for stupid people. Emotional response takes less energy than thoughtful conversation and debate about what is in the public interest. It is an effective strategy in much of the world. Here, not so much. It isn't that we yell the right wing gun talking points so loudly that we can hear nothing else. It's that here, we actually regularly engage in thoughtful discourse based on the actual facts of the situation. I have yet to have a conversation with anyone associated with "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" that indicated an understanding of the questions at hand beyond the level of sloganeering. Maybe you can change that for me. Kim Russel certainly couldn't.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I use "gun bullies" to refer to people who itimidate others by carrying guns, like the OCT group, not "anyone who opposes" me. I would not consider anyone here a gun bully for disagreeing with me.
Fukshot wrote: So, if you name for me a foreshortened version of "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" that isn't a distracting clumsy mouthfull, I'll adopt it in place of "Demanding Moms", but until then I'll continue to use any term I can think of that conveys my sneering disregard for a group that yells loudly from the short end of the pool about what good swimmers they are.
How about "MDA" or "Gunsense Moms"?

I will let this thread go since it has triggered such an emotional response.

FlintlockPhryne wrote:
I will let this thread go since it has triggered such an emotional response.
\

No. Please don't. We are grownups who like to have grownup conversations. We can discuss contentious issues all day long without melting down and you've gotten a few invitations in this thread to engage more deeply on the issues raised. It would be nice if you would actually engage rather than tossing off some surface level conclusions and running.

FlintlockPhryne wrote: Since I do not agree with carrying firearms anywhere, I support the women from Everytown and Michael Bloomberg in their efforts to protect children from irresponsible businesses and would-be domestic terrorists like those gun bully clowns from Texas. Nothing Everytown proposes would prevent me from being able to enjoy shooting.
So, why is it that only children are worthy of this protection, and not the rest of us?

And how many people have these "would-be domestic terrorists" actually injured or killed with their guns?

ScorpionHunter wrote:
FlintlockPhryne wrote: Since I do not agree with carrying firearms anywhere, I support the women from Everytown and Michael Bloomberg in their efforts to protect children from irresponsible businesses and would-be domestic terrorists like those gun bully clowns from Texas. Nothing Everytown proposes would prevent me from being able to enjoy shooting.
So, why is it that only children are worthy of this protection, and not the rest of us?

And how many people have these "would-be domestic terrorists" actually injured or killed with their guns?
One of my problems with this group is that their position starts from the point that everyone is guilty right from the start. I also don't believe moms and children have any more rights under the law then any other individual. Protecting ones child is primarily the responsibility of the parent and while I understand parents concerns all these issues should have been thought out before bringing another life into this world.

sikacz wrote:Protecting ones child is primarily the responsibility of the parent and while I understand parents concerns all these issues should have been thought out before bringing another life into this world.
Indeed. My wife and I moved across the country to try to give our kids a better life. We moved away from family and friends to a place where we thought our kids would have a better experience growing up. That's something every family has to decide for itself, and I'm not holding myself out as a paragon of parenthood. But if I felt that my children were so threatened by the presence of guns (and not just ones carried openly, but the concealed ones that I know I can't see) I'd move to a place where there are very few of them. Like, I don't know, San Francisco? London? THEN I would launch the campaign against the corporations, for the background checks, for the mag capacity limits, etc. Hell, parents and kids in Central America fleeing rampant lethal violence in their countries are taking huge risks in coming to America. It makes Demanding Moms' social media campaigns seem a bit hollow.

The aforementioned Satanic Panic, which brought us travesties like the McMartin Preschool fiasco and the Wenatchee Witch Hunt, was largely fueled by "child savers," much like the Salem Witch Trials 300 years earlier. "For the children" all too easily becomes a license to throw science, probable cause, due process, proof beyond reasonable doubt, and justice itself out the window.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

SwampGrouch wrote:The aforementioned Satanic Panic, which brought us travesties like the McMartin Preschool fiasco and the Wenatchee Witch Hunt, was largely fueled by "child savers," much like the Salem Witch Trials 300 years earlier. "For the children" all too easily becomes a license to throw science, probable cause, due process, proof beyond reasonable doubt, and justice itself out the window.
Not to mention travesties like supermarket parking spots for "Mothers with small children"! WTF is that?? There's an obesity epidemic in this damn country!! Walk that little piglet an extra 20 feet to the front door!!! Dammit. I need an Internet time out...

begemot wrote:
SwampGrouch wrote:The aforementioned Satanic Panic, which brought us travesties like the McMartin Preschool fiasco and the Wenatchee Witch Hunt, was largely fueled by "child savers," much like the Salem Witch Trials 300 years earlier. "For the children" all too easily becomes a license to throw science, probable cause, due process, proof beyond reasonable doubt, and justice itself out the window.
Not to mention travesties like supermarket parking spots for "Mothers with small children"! WTF is that?? There's an obesity epidemic in this damn country!! Walk that little piglet an extra 20 feet to the front door!!! Dammit. I need an Internet time out...
I find that funny too! It's not like having a child is a handicap. But, then I see so many people abusing the HC parking areas, like the person who parks their motorcycle in the striped area which is meant for manuvering area for HC people. :wall:

sikacz wrote:
Sheepishlion wrote:This is funny.
Moms Demand Action Leader Was Slapped With A Protective Order - Watts Still Kept Her on Board
http://buzzpo.com/2a-bombshell-moms-dem ... ept-board/
What was her record for? Didn't want to click on it.
It was a family violence protection order. Here's a link from the Oklahoma court system: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/G ... 6&db=Tulsa
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)

sikacz wrote:
Moms Demand Action Leader Was Slapped With A Protective Order - Watts Still Kept Her on Board
Mostly minor things like driving without a license, driving with a suspended license, expired tags. Then there was that restraining order. From what I can tell, she got into a spat and started harassing some guy and his kids, and slandering his business using craigslist. Oh, also threatening violence against him and his kids, too. Your basic nutjob. Her 'HowImetMyTherapist blog is pretty creepy, too.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

SmokeFan wrote:
sikacz wrote:
It was a family violence protection order. Here's a link from the Oklahoma court system: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/G ... 6&db=Tulsa
Thanks SmokeFan! What's her relationship to this guy and the children?

beaurrr wrote:
sikacz wrote:
Mostly minor things like driving without a license, driving with a suspended license, expired tags. Then there was that restraining order. From what I can tell, she got into a spat and started harassing some guy and his kids, and slandering his business using craigslist. Oh, also threatening violence against him and his kids, too. Your basic nutjob. Her 'HowImetMyTherapist blog is pretty creepy, too.
Wow! :thanks: