Re: Colorado marijuana and guns initiative

Wino wrote:My position is fairly straight forward - I don't want anyone under any influence of booze, pot, drugs, mental using guns around me. The drug war should end (was lost 25 years ago), pot and all others made legal and regulated / taxed with same penalties for DUI should one be caught or cause harm to others.
+1

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Not all drugs are created equal. There are, in fact, some that can devastate entire communities. One of the casualties of the drug war is that we've lost the ability to differentiate between the social effects of the use of various substances.

As for regulating drugs, we should probably be a whole lot more restrictive on antibiotics than we currently are.s

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

This is the nail on the head:
public health problem
We've criminalized an absurdly large number of the population for something that is, in and of itself, not a criminal act- for those drugs that are more addictive, like heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc, the approach has demonstrably failed. When kids are told that one puff of marijuana will shred their brain and make them into pothead zombies, then it doesn't happen, that absolutely leads to a pervasive distrust of authority when they tell them the same thing about other drugs- as you point out fknauss.

When we consider that white, affluent drug users are at the same percentage of the population as non-white, poor drug users, but are almost never incarcerated for the same "crime", it becomes evident that the "war" is not on drugs, it's on the poor and disadvantaged. It also hamstrings our ability to address the actual problem through effective means, like treatment, not jail.

But I'm preaching to the choir. Gods the legacy of St Ronnie and Tricky Dick still haunt us today.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

KnightsFan wrote:
fknauss wrote:
anti-pot
I didn't mean anti pot. I meant how to use pot responsibly. I've always found DARE stupid, but the idea behind MADD that it was possible to drink responsibly, and how to draw that line, is a valid one.
Then you haven't caught up with MADD's current platform, which is not one drop. :roll: They've gotten so bad even their founder has said they're crazy.
Yeah that's the problem with zealots, they can get a bit overzealous...

This is the same shit left over from the "Temperance movement" that brought us such reasonable laws as not only prohibition, but all of the well-loved-to-this-day Blue Laws. Legislating morality has always been a damaging and losing endeavor, too bad it's not likely to go away any time soon.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter