More fall out on Tim McGraw

The fall out on the very controversial Tim McGraw concert continues here in the Un-Constitution State. There are three large local gun rights groups here in CT that operate -- CT Carry, CT Open Carry, and CCDL (Connecticut Civil Defense League).

The Hartford Courant has been very supportive of the anti-gun rhetoric. The CCDL has come out against the Tim McGraw concert benefitting Sandy Hook Promise. The controversy is that Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a gun control lobby group. It was formed after Sandy Hook. It does not directly benefit the families. A number of the families are active in the group.

There is a anti-gun editorial cartoonist - Bob Englehart - who has used the Courant as his personal platform to get citizens riled up against guns. He put a political cartoon in the paper depicting the members of the CCDL in a stereotype that many members (myself included) found offensive. We began a hashtag trend and answers to his column. Who knows if we did any good to make people see us as neighbors after the ridiculous cartoon this guy drew and the Hartford Courant has printed/posted.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5537fc14/turb ... 50/750x422

So, if anyone sees the twitter or facebook #iamCCDL -- circulating in pro gun circles -- that's what it is about.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

Re: More fall out on Tim McGraw

:blink: That 'cartoon' is so horrible. He paints one side as being a nosy intrusive elitist, and the other side as being a mouth breathing fat ass. :roll: I fail to see what his point is, actually. Beyond "hur hur. Gun nuts are fat and ugly and stupid. hur hur."

Good luck! It's a damn shame that groups on both sides of the issue are using a tragedy for their own ends. I think every time "Sandy Hook" is mentioned or used to raise money, it should have to go directly to the school, victims and families.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Who didn't see this coming? CT Carry, CT Open Carry, and CCDL should have opted not to give SHP free PR. Gun groups seem to fall for this kind of thing every time.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

My confusion comes from the labeling of Sandy Hook Promise as a "gun control group". Nowhere on their site do they say anything about banning guns. It's all about education, safety, security, and improving mental health services:

"OUR MISSION
1) Protect children from gun violence so no other parent experiences the loss of their child by engaging and empowering parents and communities with targeted prevention programs in the areas of mental wellness early-identification & intervention, social & emotional development and firearm safety & security.

2) Help our community through this tragedy by providing resources and programs that foster connection, resiliency and overall wellness."

There's nothing in their mission statement with which I take issue.

http://www.sandyhookpromise.org

dcramer64 wrote:My confusion comes from the labeling of Sandy Hook Promise as a "gun control group". Nowhere on their site do they say anything about banning guns. It's all about education, safety, security, and improving mental health services:

"OUR MISSION
1) Protect children from gun violence so no other parent experiences the loss of their child by engaging and empowering parents and communities with targeted prevention programs in the areas of mental wellness early-identification & intervention, social & emotional development and firearm safety & security.

2) Help our community through this tragedy by providing resources and programs that foster connection, resiliency and overall wellness."

There's nothing in their mission statement with which I take issue.

http://www.sandyhookpromise.org
SHP has been happy to be front and center at gun restriction advocacy events. Also, I can see through the "gun violence" dog whistle. However, pro-RKBA groups should have simply left this one alone. The country guy and SHP could not have asked for better PR.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Mr. Englehart has used his position at the Courant to push his gun control stance for years. The Moms have adopted him. He fits right in with them. He has actually publicly say that he would support the repealing of the 2nd Amendment. But this cartoon is about as low as it gets.

The Courant has lost thousands of subscribers over this in the past week. Me being one of them. I won't go so far as to use my Tim McGraw cds for target practice. I truly think that he got caught up in something he had no idea about. Apparently one of his musicians is friends with one of the fathers and that's how he got caught up in this. I think that he was asked "can we do this for the families of Sandy Hook?" Not knowing that it wasn't for the families of the children - he said yes. It was only after was he made aware of the fact that Sandy Hook Promise is a gun control lobby, and by then -- it's too late for him to back out.

I am a member of CCDL. And CT Open Carry. And CT Carry. Do they know my entire political stance? No. However, I have told them I identify as a liberal, but am more of a centrist or a libertarian. I vote issues, not politics. Right now, the senator and representatives of my local state politics are all republicans and I am identifying more with them than I am the stance of the democrats in this state. And that's hard for me to say. But it's true.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

When a group goes after gun violence, something that is so far down the list of threats to children's safety, what else are they for besides removal of firearms from those who pose no threat? Violence - especially gun violence - is down and has been year after year after year since 2005 and on a downward trend between 1993 and 2005.

I don't tend to listen to 'country' music that Nashville likes, anyway.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

DispositionMatrix wrote:
dcramer64 wrote: SHP has been happy to be front and center at gun restriction advocacy events. Also, I can see through the "gun violence" dog whistle. However, pro-RKBA groups should have simply left this one alone. The country guy and SHP could not have asked for better PR.
The ire has been raised for the same reason that Gabby Giffords is not a darling of the pro 2A groups -- they feel she and Mark Kelly are sell outs. Tim McGraw, his wife and daughters are all avid shooters. His daughter, Grace, has/had several pictures of herself shooting --- a Bushmaster -- same gun as AL used. Meanwhile, he's lending his name to SHP.

One of the fathers - Mark Barden - is one of the principles of SHP - and he has said many times, repeatedly - that he will not rest, he will never stop, until this country gives up its guns. He went so far as to say (allegedly -- I heard this second/third/fourth/fifth hand / internet statements) that his son, and the rest of the children will never rest in peace until every gun is confiscated and off the streets.

Maybe they should have left it alone. I did end up canceling my subscription to the Courant anyway. One, I never had time to read it. So I'd pick it up every morning, throw it in the back of my SUV as I drove out of the driveway. And once a week, toss them all into the recycling bins. Sadly, print is definitely going the way of the dodo bird.

I wish this had opened up a better dialogue between the pro gun and the anti gun people. I think that is the only way we are going to find any meaningful middle ground that can satisfy most people. I know we are never going to satisfy everyone. The Bob Englehart's of the world are always going to call for the repealment of the 2nd, and the ultimate tea partiers are going to always want to park a tank in their garage next to their Humvee.