Re: Venezuela crushes 2,000 guns in public, plans registry o

Siddhartha Mahanta had an article and interview with Francisco Toro, a columnist, in The Atlantic on the Venezuelan situation a few days ago:
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... as/505874/
Mahanta: One thing I’m curious about is, how does Maduro retain enough support going forward to hang on to power? Where is his genuine source of support at this point?

Toro: People with guns. That includes the military of course, which has been given enormous privileges during the last 18 years. [It has] been put in charge of mining businesses, been part of the oil industry, and smuggling, and cocaine, and a lot of other things.

There’s a long list of Venezuelan guys who were sanctioned and generals who have lost their visas, and the [U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration] has investigations on [them]. It’s not really in doubt. So, men with guns. The military, but not just the military.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

senorgrand wrote:Venezuela's problems are a result of the Resource Curse, not guns.
Nothing new there. Right after WWII my dad did a short stint in the merchant marine on the Esso Tanker Richmond. When they went to Venezuela they were carrying crates that said farm implements. But was 30 and 50 cal Machine Guns. When they arrived they offered my dad a huge bonus to go with the guns and protect the Standard Oil equipment. He refused told them he only fights overseas in the uniform of the US Military. Our government and corporations have meddled in the affairs of other governments and people in the Western Hemisphere since Monroe was president maybe before him.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

senorgrand wrote:Venezuela's problems are a result of the Resource Curse, not guns.
The piece does not contend Venezuela's problems are caused by guns, but it does point out, albeit incidentally, that since the population was somewhat disarmed armed government forces and paramilitaries are in a better position to ensure Maduro stays in power.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

senorgrand wrote:My dad worked (indirectly) supporting Pinochet when he was under contract with Lockheed. :(
Have a cousin who's father in law was a rear admiral in charge of Far East communications till he retired in the 1960s. He had access to all transmission and highly classified info.

He later was the director of the IT&T phone system when the Pinochet revolution took place. The phone system was compromised to allow Pinochet to complete the takeover. The CIA had a hand in the takeover. And I would almost guarantee the old admiral was ass deep in the takeover working for the CIA.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Maduro: "A gun for every militiaman!"

Days ago. I'm not sure how this will jibe with the registry of bullets or, in Maduro continuing the revolution, Chavez's stated goal from 2012 of disarming all civilians--since these militias are comprised of civilians.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-46850100
Maduro said he hopes to expand the number of civilians involved in the Bolivarian militias created by the late Hugo Chavez to 500,000, up from the current 100,000, and provide each member with a gun.

Speaking to thousands of militia members dressed in beige uniforms gathered in front of the presidential palace to mark the force's seventh anniversary, Maduro said it is time for Venezuelans to decide if they are "with the homeland" or against it.
Chavez created the civilian militias with the goal of training 1 million Venezuelans to assist the armed forces in the defense of his revolution from external and domestic attacks. Maduro told the militia Monday that vision remains relevant as Venezuela continues to face "imperialist aggression."
I wouldn't want to be the guy on the right in this pic.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Internation ... 5_1600.jpg
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ