DoD Wants to Save the Environment With Bullets That Plant S

http://gizmodo.com/dod-wants-to-save-th ... 1790937385

The DoD currently has an open call posted to the Small Business Innovation Research program’s website. It’s seeking proposals for an idea that’s almost Buddhist in its intended cycle of death begetting life. The accepted applicant would be tasked with creating a bullet that would be used on the U.S. Army’s training grounds around the world. This innovative bullet needs to fire in the normal way and when it’s left behind it should biodegrade and plant a specially engineered seed.

According to the open call, the Army goes through hundreds of thousands of training rounds and this has become a problem. These rounds take hundreds of years to biodegrade and “might have the potential corrode and pollute the soil and nearby water.” The bullets also could be eaten by animals and are a bad look when encountered by civilians.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: DoD Wants to Save the Environment With Bullets That Pla

I saw on a gardening show once something the gardener called "garden bombs" made with soil, seeds and clay. He then drives around his city to abandoned lots and throws a bunch of them around. Rain breaks down the clay, seeds germinate, vegetables , flowers, etc. Grow.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Marlene wrote:There are plants that have been optimized to remediate some kinds of soil contamination. I wonder if that's the "engineered seed" in question. That'd be cool.
Think it will work on lead and depleted uranium? Lol

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Huh. It's actually a thing- called phytoremediation. For things like lead, Kale, Broccoli, and Collard Greens- obviously you would need to put up a ton of warnings to not actually eat them, as ingesting the greens would lead to massive spikes in lead levels in your blood, but it's probably hella cheaper than ganking out tons of topsoil and moving it to another location or something.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/articl ... or-arsenic

http://www.unep.or.jp/Ietc/Publications ... FMS2/1.asp
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Also, to add, there are green bullets- mandated for hunting in CA- for shotgun steel or bismuth shot is acceptable, for rifle all copper, steel, or bismuth core with a copper jacket does the job. Since bismuth is done in a powder form to fill jackets, I don't see why you couldn't put an engineered seed in the center.

However, with the phytoremediation, there's still the disposal of the plants to be concerned with. But neat that they are considering something like it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Huh. It's actually a thing- called phytoremediation. For things like lead, Kale, Broccoli, and Collard Greens- obviously you would need to put up a ton of warnings to not actually eat them, as ingesting the greens would lead to massive spikes in lead levels in your blood, but it's probably hella cheaper than ganking out tons of topsoil and moving it to another location or something.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/articl ... or-arsenic

http://www.unep.or.jp/Ietc/Publications ... FMS2/1.asp
That is amazing! I bookmarked both links. Thanks..

However, we all know that some good ole' -we dont need guberment regulations" Capitalist will start selling produce. Because the fines IF caught, are usually less than the profits. And worse case scenario is they can walk from the company, and blame it all on the EPA and the Guberment.
As we see in these abandoned gold mines, factories, even the nuclear waste dump here in Bridgeton Mo. That was made from illegal corporate dumping, but now is blamed on the EPA.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Personally I love the idea of a practice ammo that plants seeds, and is lead free. Part of the reason that I stayed out of shooting for 20 years is that I was working as an Environmental Inspector. If someone took 200 grains of lead, ground it into fine dust and scattered it across their back yard, I could make them spend 10's of thousands of dollars digging it up. Yet the Knob Creek Shooting Range (yes, the big machine gun shoot) which was in my district, was exempt by law. Hundreds of tons of lead just dissolving into the ground water.
Of course that is nothing compared to the nearby Ft Knox. The gold is just a tiny part of Ft Knox. The tanks are a huge part of it. I've camped near it and heard the guns going all night.

Also........ there is another part of shooting seeds--the g force. As I understand, a bullet fired from a rifle experiences about 20,000 G's. The structure of the toughest seed would be destroyed.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Bacchus wrote:Wake up, people. Specially engineered seeds... to be used in training centers worldwide? That's a euphemism for alien spawn if ever I heard one. The EBE takeover is nigh!
Well Trump will just deport them

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more