Gun use in defense of a third party?

I guess you could argue when the perp stuck the knife into the cashier's back he became an immediate threat to her life. Had it just been a straight-up robbery, drawing would have been inappropriate.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTR753sBAkK/
Seems as if someone would have wondered why the perp was standing on the wrong side of the register or facing in the wrong direction in line.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Gun use in defense of a third party?

Pretty sure I would do it. It's allowed in Illinois to defend someone else. I've done it with pepper spray in the past, before I could think twice about it I just did it. Pretty sure similar would go down again. I've learned that about myself over the years, I'll step in and/or fight before flight. Been that way since I was a kid. I carry a large can of pepper gel as well as my pistol, so hopefully I'd use what was more appropriate - which would most likely be the pepper gel...
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

I would do it, as well. It is legal in Michigan to use a legal firearm to defend yourself or someone else from great bodily harm.

My wife and I come first, though. I am not going to jump into harm's way if I can help it. Even though there is no duty to retreat in Michigan, I still consider it the smartest course of action if at all possible.

It depends on the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DispositionMatrix wrote:I guess you could argue when the perp stuck the knife into the cashier's back he became an immediate threat to her life. Had it just been a straight-up robbery, drawing would have been inappropriate.
Seems as if someone would have wondered why the perp was standing on the wrong side of the register or facing in the wrong direction in line.
Anyone know the language on the bagger's smock? Google translate seems to think "treinament" is "training" in Portuguese. I'm thinking this didn't happen in the US and might have been a set up. Does it look like a clip from a CCL training video?

pokute wrote:As a friend of mine says "You mean like Batman and Robin?" Apparently this is frowned upon, since it's a slippery slope to coming to the aid of any and all citizens in danger... As in Batman.
This is true, but there is a big difference between actively hunting down bad guys and taking action when danger to life and limb rears it's scary ass head.

Defending one's self, or others near you, is not playing vigilante.

In Indiana I can use deadly force to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person, or the commission of a forcible felony (crime involving violence). A knife can cause serious bodily injury, and robbery is a forcible felony. In this state the gunman can legally shoot the perp right then and there.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Thorian wrote:
pokute wrote:As a friend of mine says "You mean like Batman and Robin?" Apparently this is frowned upon, since it's a slippery slope to coming to the aid of any and all citizens in danger... As in Batman.
This is true, but there is a big difference between actively hunting down bad guys and taking action when danger to life and limb rears it's scary ass head.

Defending one's self, or others near you, is not playing vigilante.

What he says is that the first time is a free pass, but the second time, not so much. He already used his free pass, so he won't go out and play Batman and Robin with me :(

AndyH wrote:
DispositionMatrix wrote:I guess you could argue when the perp stuck the knife into the cashier's back he became an immediate threat to her life. Had it just been a straight-up robbery, drawing would have been inappropriate.
Anyone know the language on the bagger's smock? Google translate seems to think "treinament" is "training" in Portuguese. I'm thinking this didn't happen in the US and might have been a set up. Does it look like a clip from a CCL training video?
Good catch, could be a video from Brazil, there are quite a few robbery attempt videos from South America on Youtube. Quite a few of off-duty armed police or military who stop crimes. Yes the bagger is in "training".
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote:
AndyH wrote:
Good catch, could be a video from Brazil, there are quite a few robbery attempt videos from South America on Youtube. Quite a few of off-duty armed police or military who stop crimes. Yes the bagger is in "training".
Thanks very much! Apparently bagger training doesn't include showing emotion when the person in front of them has a knife in their back. ;)