Re: 45% of gun owners have no formal training

lurker wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I did learn something from the FSC test, that one should lock up even disassembled guns
i've had one laying out on my desk for about 3 weeks. i gather that in CA they are prone to reassemble themselves and attack people. is that a common occurrence?
So common they made a law about it. What, you think people make laws to stir up fear and make themselves look better or something?

I've taken the California hunters' ed course. There is good information to be had, especially the parts about what to do if shot (tourniquet, sucking chest wound, etc.). I am also receiving basic and some defensive training this weekend from our very own Liberal Gun Club. While I know how to operate and maintain my equipment, there's just no reason not to learn proper techniques, right?

atxgunguy wrote: Come to think of it, to get a TX hunting license, I also took the required Texas Dept Fish & Wildlife hunter's "training"...which was online and was all open book with questions that even the lowest of common dominators could pass.
By golly, you are a Class II Operator by their standards (ya just have to remember to use spell-check to reach Class I).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:
atxgunguy wrote: Come to think of it, to get a TX hunting license, I also took the required Texas Dept Fish & Wildlife hunter's "training"...which was online and was all open book with questions that even the lowest of common dominators could pass.
By golly, you are a Class II Operator by their standards (ya just have to remember to use spell-check to reach Class I).
Heck...it was a requirement just to even open the VP9 manual. :rolleyes:

LGC Texas - Vice President

Bang wrote:
lurker wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I did learn something from the FSC test, that one should lock up even disassembled guns
i've had one laying out on my desk for about 3 weeks. i gather that in CA they are prone to reassemble themselves and attack people. is that a common occurrence?
So common they made a law about it. What, you think people make laws to stir up fear and make themselves look better or something?
I was reading a sociology textbook while sitting on the crapper this morning and discovered that it is a notional certainty to all right-thinking persons that a known CRIMINAL in the vicinity of an object that MIGHT be used as a weapon constitutes INTENT, and is JUSTIFICATION to law enforcement to make a professionally informed decision whether to arrogate JUDGEMENT and EXECUTE actions to remove the imminent threat.

Hmm. Pokute's throne-room legal reading above seems to be the largely effective defense claimed in almost all "non-policy" (unjustified) police shootings. Of course the word BLACK being substituted for CRIMINAL in such instances...
:sarcasm: A shame that darned Aussie hippy-girl f'ed up the program which was working just fine up until... wait, she's an IMMIGRANT.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

What is formal training?

As a kid I was trained by my Grandfather and Father, two guys I trusted.

Learned never to assume a firearm is unloaded. Assume it is.

Learned about muzzle awareness. It is pointed where?

Learned how to pass a rifle over a barbed wire fence.

Learned how to clear a rifle but see above never assume.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

NRA membership only represents 4% of gun owners. Given that, 45% suggests that a lot of non-NRA types have sought training. I think the reason more haven't sought training is that they can't stomach the right wing "gun nut" goobers that tend to run such things. 4 years of shooting USPSA had me biting my tongue all the time. It's a wonder I can talk.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata