WaPo on one guy's AR-15 purchase

‘I know I don’t need it’
An AR-15 owner explains the allure.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) estimates there have been at least 15 million AR-15s and AR-15-style rifles sold in the United States since 1990, including a dramatic uptick in sales after the assault weapons ban expired in 2004.

The majority of such gun owners — 65 percent — are like Rodriguez in that they have never served in the U.S. military or in law enforcement, and 9 in 10 say their main reason for owning one is for recreational target shooting, according to a 2013 NSSF consumer survey.

The NSSF, an association of gun manufacturers and sellers — which several years ago started calling ARs “modern sporting rifles” — likes to hype the idea of the AR’s versatility as the key to its appeal: a gun for hunting, home security and whatever else you might need.

Re: WaPo on one guy's AR-15 purchase

I bet the answers after November of 2016 would be different as to why folks have them now.

Never served, not a cop, but enjoy shooting the AR-15 as well as building them. I am different than the guy in the story in that I do understand how to use one for home/perimeter defense. They did a decent job in Charlottesville last summer which might have gone differently had there been more security further out from Liberty Park (formerly Robert E Lee Park).
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.