Police officer draws gun while "stopping" elderly white woman from being "robbed" by a scary black man (her grandson)

Man detained: Police say it’s a ‘misunderstanding,’ attorney says his rights were violated
WAUWATOSA -- A man who is black was temporarily detained by Wauwatosa police over the Labor Day weekend while driving with his grandmother, who is white, on the way back from church. Officers called it a misunderstanding, while the family's attorney said the young man's rights were violated.

During a traffic stop around noon on Sept. 2 near Burleigh Street and Mayfair Road, dashcam video shows Wauwatosa police officers placed the 18-year-old man in handcuffs, and in the backseat of a squad car.

At one point, an officer also pulled his gun from his holster and pointed it toward the ground before going up to an older woman, still in the vehicle.

Bertrand said she also wants proof of the initial robbery report, and that police had reasonable suspicion to follow up.

"So now, just crazy people can come up to a police car and say, 'that car's being robbed?'" said Bertrand.
More at link.

Re: Police officer draws gun while "stopping" elderly white woman from being "robbed" by a scary black man (her grandson

"So now, just crazy people can come up to a police car and say, 'that car's being robbed?'" said Bertrand.
Yep. Don't worry Joy, once you prove nobody actually said that to the officers, you'll actually have a basis for a case, rather than the conjecture and false narrative you have now. BTW Joy, your bias against those who may be suffering with mental health issues is showing.

Re: Police officer draws gun while "stopping" elderly white woman from being "robbed" by a scary black man (her grandson

I am 63 and my youngest is 13 and Brown because he was born in Central America. What happens when I am 73 or 83 and he is 23 or 33 and helping ME? Will some racist busybody set the police on my boy too? I feel like we are devolving back to the 50's and blatant racism of that time.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 pm It's becoming more and more common. The family lawyer can file a complaint and police will internally investigate and then it's up to police administration. After that the family lawyer can dispute the results of the investigation.

That is a good way to make racism very expensive, if your fees are part of a settlement.

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 pm I am 63 and my youngest is 13 and Brown because he was born in Central America. What happens when I am 73 or 83 and he is 23 or 33 and helping ME? Will some racist busybody set the police on my boy too? I feel like we are devolving back to the 50's and blatant racism of that time.
We are being forced further back by the bigots on the right than the 1950s They would like to see the 1850s.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:14 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 pm I am 63 and my youngest is 13 and Brown because he was born in Central America. What happens when I am 73 or 83 and he is 23 or 33 and helping ME? Will some racist busybody set the police on my boy too? I feel like we are devolving back to the 50's and blatant racism of that time.
We are being forced further back by the bigots on the right than the 1950s They would like to see the 1850s.
Yeah, but I remember bits of the late '50's and pretty much all of the '60's, especially the blowback from the 50's that made it the craziest time in my life until now. I only know the 1850's from history.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

SubRosa wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:52 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 pm It's becoming more and more common. The family lawyer can file a complaint and police will internally investigate and then it's up to police administration. After that the family lawyer can dispute the results of the investigation.

That is a good way to make racism very expensive, if your fees are part of a settlement.

SR
It's more and more common to see families of different race and ethnicities, YT mentioned his son and John McCain and his Bangladeshi daughter. There are a lot of these racial type reports being made to police, they don't know if they're a hoax and have to investigate everyone.
Police said the person who made the original report did not stay in the area as requested by officers to give a formal statement. So far, he has not been located.
If they have body and/or cruiser cameras maybe they the track the guy that way. IIRC state laws relate to false written statements, maybe state legislators could look at laws on false verbal reports.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan