Maryland red flag proponents get their first state-sanctioned kill

Anne Arundel police say officers fatally shot armed man while serving protective order to remove guns
Two Anne Arundel County police officers serving one of Maryland’s new “red flag” protective orders to remove guns from a house killed a Ferndale man after he refused to give up his gun and a struggle ensued early Monday morning, police said.

The subject of the protective order, Gary J. Willis, 60, answered his door in the 100 block of Linwood Ave. at 5:17 a.m. with a gun in his hand, Anne Arundel County Police said. He initially put it down next to the door, but “became irate” when officers began to serve him with the order, opened the door and picked up the gun again, police said.

“A fight ensued over the gun,” said Sgt. Jacklyn Davis, an Anne Arundel County police spokeswoman.
Picked up his gun while already involved in a conversation with police. Not smart.

Re: Maryland red flag proponents get their first state-sanctioned kill

Eris wrote:There's a very important bit missing in the stories on this incident: what led them to get an order to take away his guns?
If you read the linked article, it was a sister. "Family being family"... Apparently the rest of the family was withdrawing support for taking care of their mother. I'm sure words were spoken in high emotion.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 pm
Eris wrote:There's a very important bit missing in the stories on this incident: what led them to get an order to take away his guns?
If you read the linked article, it was a sister. "Family being family"... Apparently the rest of the family was withdrawing support for taking care of their mother. I'm sure words were spoken in high emotion.
The article doesn't give any details, though. All we know is that his sister asked for the order. Why did she ask? What justificaiton did she give? What made the courts decide to grant the order? Right now, all we know is that his sister didn't want him to have guns. The police came to take his guns. He had a gun and put it down to talk to the police. At some point he picked up the gun again, though the article specifically does *not* say that he was doing so with the intention of shooting or threatening anyone. The cops then attacked him (reasonably, it seems) and he was shot in the ensuing scuffle.

I just don't have enough information about *why* things happened to know how to interpret all this. Right now it sounds like a tragedy: a man was killed because other people feared him, but was their fear rational? I can't answer that.

In any event, this is an example of the law *failing* to do what it is supposed to do. The GVRO is supposed to be used to make sure someone does *not* die. Instead, it led to someone dying.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:The GVRO is supposed to be used to make sure someone does *not* die. Instead, it led to someone dying.
It is supposed to make sure the _right_ person dies if deadly force is used by the state.

As someone who periodically hears peaceniks from the Arlington/Cambridge/Somerville area call for the internment or execution of anyone who would dare own a firearm, I seriously doubt those who wrote this law care about what happens to people like Willis.