6 LEOs shot serving warrant on felon in Philadelphia

In North Philly standoff, alleged cop shooter Maurice Hill has a long criminal history
Police sources identified the gunman in a standoff at a Tioga apartment building that left six police officers injured as Maurice Hill, 36, a Philadelphia man with a lengthy history of gun convictions and of resisting attempts to bring him to justice.
Hill’s history in the adult criminal justice system began in 2001 when he was 18 and was arrested with a gun that had an altered serial number.

Public records show that he has been arrested about a dozen times since turning 18, and convicted six times on charges that involved illegal possession of guns, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. He has been in and out of prison; the longest sentence handed him came in 2010, when a federal judge gave him a 55-month term.
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketShe ... 6YmA%3d%3d
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: 6 LEOs shot serving warrant on felon in Philadelphia

TriggerPuller wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 am I'm relieved that no one's injuries were terminal. I'm
Tangentially, I have a hunch that this event might serve to illustrate what might happen on a house-by-house basis if the state tries to sieze privately-owned firearms.
But gun control magically makes criminals like this comply. Harris had the nerve to say her policy would have prevented this while the guy was still shooting cops.

Glad no one was killed.

TriggerPuller wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 amTangentially, I have a hunch that this event might serve to illustrate what might happen on a house-by-house basis if the state tries to sieze privately-owned firearms.
Illustrate to no avail. The people foaming at the mouth to institute such seizures aren't going to be the ones doing it. So they're not going to care how dangerous it is beyond what more it could gain them politically if LEOs start getting killed doing no-knocks on firearm owners.

I love the message that a convicted felon who illegally possesses guns while illegally selling drugs and illegally shooting at cops would have been stopped by just one more common sense gun law. Are Democrats fucking brain dead? I'm officially reregistering as Independent. I'm sure I'll still suck it up and continue to vote for Dems as the lesser of two evils, but I'm done being associated with them as a party.

featureless wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 pm I love the message that a convicted felon who illegally possesses guns while illegally selling drugs and illegally shooting at cops would have been stopped by just one more common sense gun law. Are Democrats fucking brain dead? I'm officially reregistering as Independent. I'm sure I'll still suck it up and continue to vote for Dems as the lesser of two evils, but I'm done being associated with them as a party.
Easy to do online at the SOS website. I got a confirmation postcard later from my county registrar of voters office showing the change. Good time to do it before the holidays and state and county are prepping for the March 2020 primary. Welcome to the world of non-affiliation with any political party. :thumbup:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:04 pm
highdesert wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm Welcome to the world of non-affiliation with any political party. :thumbup:
Thanks, I think. ;)
:lol: You can always switch back. It used to be just the Reps in CA that were dominated by their wacko wing, now it's also the Dems. Indep/NPP has the most voters in CA, it says something but the two major parties are deaf.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yup, with all the awful going on in this country, the Dems are focused on removing our 2A rights seemingly above all else currently. It just disgusts me. Not from the "single issue voter" perspective, but the "doing meaningless, hurtful shit that will fix nothing at the expenses of ignoring everything else" perspective.

In other words, if you're going to fuck our rights away, you better fucking improve something!

featureless wrote:Are Democrats fucking brain dead?
I live in a city ran with an iron fist by machine democrats for decades. They force strict gun laws in an effort to curb gun violence, while simultaneously pushing legislation that fosters: hyper poverty, hyper segregation and has the worst gun crimes by sheer number. In fact, carjackings have surged here.

Yet people keep voting them in because they've made the electorate think they are the people's only savior.

Tin foil hat: I don't think all democrats necessarily care about crime as much as they care about staying in power.

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:13 pm Tin foil hat: I don't think all democrats necessarily care about crime as much as they care about staying in power.
No tin foil needed for that one. Dems have done some good things and there are some that are in it for the right reasons. Unfortunately, the party as a whole has embraced corporatism and power over people. I've said before, the republicans represent regressions and the dems represent incremental progress. We need real progress to solve our problems, not lip service that ensures corporations still get theirs.

featureless wrote:
DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:13 pm Tin foil hat: I don't think all democrats necessarily care about crime as much as they care about staying in power.
No tin foil needed for that one. Dems have done some good things and there are some that are in it for the right reasons. Unfortunately, the party as a whole has embraced corporatism and power over people. I've said before, the republicans represent regressions and the dems represent incremental progress. We need real progress to solve our problems, not lip service that ensures corporations still get theirs.
I just think it's especially twisted to take national tragedies and use them to pander for votes when you know all too well the real problem is all the issues in society that causes people to commit heinous crimes.

Since this is the hill democratics have decided to occupy, it's going to be hard for me to vote this next election.

But then again, dems controlled the executive and legislative branched without really "fixing" gun laws, so I don't even know what to think.

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm I just think it's especially twisted to take national tragedies and use them to pander for votes when you know all too well the real problem is all the issues in society that causes people to commit heinous crimes.
Yes, but the other side of the echo chamber is only "thoughts and prayers." :lol: I agree, the pandering is gross.

As you say, the problem could be addressed if anybody was willing to do some work. It's one of the central themes around here--root cause mitigation.

featureless wrote:
DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm I just think it's especially twisted to take national tragedies and use them to pander for votes when you know all too well the real problem is all the issues in society that causes people to commit heinous crimes.

As you say, the problem could be addressed if anybody was willing to do some work. It's one of the central themes around here--root cause mitigation.
That's what attracted me here. One of my degrees is in political science. It's pretty clear that the issues with crime is multifaceted, yet both sides want to pretend there's a simple fix. "just pass one more law, and that'll do it"

They point to other countries with less crime and say its the lack of guns, but they ignore the slew of social safety nets these places have.

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I just think it's especially twisted to take national tragedies and use them to pander for votes when you know all too well the real problem is all the issues in society that causes people to commit heinous crimes.

Since this is the hill democratics have decided to occupy, it's going to be hard for me to vote this next election.

But then again, dems controlled the executive and legislative branched without really "fixing" gun laws, so I don't even know what to think.
Canada *doesn't* have the kind of income disparity we do. A U of Chicago economist suggested that raising the minimum wage would reduce gun violence far more effectively than some of the gun laws proposed. To look at the problem another way; the 2017 FBI crime report said that 413 deaths were caused by rifles of all types of which "assault rifles" were only a small part. 1591 deaths were caused by knives or edged weapons. The NHTSA reported over 3000 deaths due to "distracted driving" (cell phones) and a Johns Hopkins study said that 250,000 people die annually from "medical errors". We seem to be too easily influenced by sensationalized media coverage and are more concerned with *how* people die than the number of senseless deaths from other means that would be more easily mitigated and save exponentially more lives than adding to the 20,000 ineffective gun laws already on the books. Then there's the issue of defensive gun use ("DGU's" in FBI parlance). This is an admittedly hard stat to nail down and it ranges from 100,000 to 2.5 million, the low end likely being reports where shots were actually fired and the high end being estimates of where even the perception of meeting armed resistance was a deterrent. How many lives that saved is purely up to speculation but from my own personal experience I would *guess* that it saves far more than are killed by a criminal with a gun. As a gun owner, no one wants to see these insane mass shootings stop more than I. I'd just like to see it attempted in a different way that is logistically achievable and politically viable.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

Yes, well said DS. Gun control is not the hill that I want to die on and I don't think most voters would support Democrats on that issue. Democrats have tunnel vision just like Republicans, we'll see if gun control is still the hot button issue six months from now closer to the conventions. If Democrats have gotten so far to the left on guns and other issues, is their enough time before the general election to move back to the center and attract some Republican Independents, hold Democratic Independents and motivate the Dem base to get out and vote?

Republicans and Independents supporting Republicans - 45%
Democrats and Independents supporting Democrats - 44%
https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/part ... ation.aspx

TheHill: Philadelphia mayor calls for gun control after police standoff: 'We have to
do something'.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney (D) called for increased gun control following an hours-long shootout between police and a gunman who wounded six officers.

"Our officers need help. They need help with gun control. They need help with keeping these weapons out of these people's hands," Kenney told reporters Wednesday night as the situation was ongoing.

"Our officers deserve to be protected and they don't deserve to be shot at by a guy for hours with an unlimited supply of weapons and an unlimited supply of bullets. It's disgusting and we have to do something about it."
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ