Lock tite & ignorance

Permatex threadlocker.jpg
Permatex threadlocker.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Not the actual gun

I have a SW in 45acp that is well worn. As the cylinder rotated the screwed on nut at the end of the extractor rod would loosen. The nut coming off would lengthen the rod and make it too tight to open the cylinder.

To fix this, I red lock-tited the rod and set the nut at what I mistakenly thought was the right length. Now it's fixed like it was welded and too long so I can't open the cylinder. :wall:

At different times I've soaked it with kroil, acetone, heated it with a solder gun, tried to grip it with vice grips and a piece of leather. Zip. No movement.

Any good hints,clues, or guesses other than to never use high strength red ever again on a gun?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Edit. Can't read apparently. Try a torch for heat. Not sure a soldering iron will get it done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by shinzen on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Oh. And only blue loctite from here on out for guns. Had to say it!

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Propane torch should do the trick. Obviously be careful with the application or you'll jack up the finish.

- Maya Angelou

Oh. Fwiw. The red locktite will melt at a lower temp than steel, and theoretically at a lower temp than the finish. Just soften it enough to get the screw out , should break free after a minute or so.

- Maya Angelou

Re: Lock tite & ignorance

I used Oops!, a spray containing toulene. This broke the seal around the nut but it seems like I must have slopped enough of the loc-tite on it to leak into the spring-loaded pin on the end. I've got the barrel elevated and soaking the spring area. I'll check on it in the morning.

Locktite red needs to be heated to 550 deg if I remember right. I've only used it for certain applications on British motorcycles. If you get it cleaned up try clear nail polish the next time.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I just had this issue with the extension nut on a JP VTAC handguard I was trying to remove. (red loctited to the upper receiver)

I tried solvents, melted bees wax, just wrenching on the damn thing, heat gun...

In the end, the solution that was recommended to me was a propane torch for 30 seconds, followed by immediately wrenching it off. This worked beautifully, and was so much easier that I wondered why I'd wasted a day of effort and scratched the finish trying so many other things.

For a much smaller part like that I doubt you'd need to heat it for quite as long, maybe 15-20 seconds or even less.

The key is a high amount of heat, but keeping it localized, which means applying it quickly. The heat gun failed, the propane torch worked a treat.

I've done quite a bit of wrenching on motorcycles, both my own and other people's...

Do NOT use Red/High Strength Loctite on anything you may want to take apart in the future. Regular strength is more than adequate for most applications. I've yet to have a properly Blue Loctited bolt come out by itself, even on high-vibration single-cylinder bikes. Just make sure that the surfaces are clean and dry before applying - like pretty much any adhesive.

FWIW, the colors aren't consistent with all brands of thread locker, go by the stated grade instead.

Today! I finally got this open. I screwed it up royal July 2013.

I soaked it daily for about 3 months, alternating between kroil and goof-off. I got revved up reading the current thread on screw torque and loctite. I dried the oil off and set the loctited area on the gas oven for about 10 min then let it cool. The thing came right off. Hallelujah! Now I can scrub it, reassemble and take it to Austin.

Simmer down wrote:Today! I finally got this open. I screwed it up royal July 2013.

I soaked it daily for about 3 months, alternating between kroil and goof-off. I got revved up reading the current thread on screw torque and loctite. I dried the oil off and set the loctited area on the gas oven for about 10 min then let it cool. The thing came right off. Hallelujah! Now I can scrub it, reassemble and take it to Austin.
Woohoo! Convenient timing.
LGC Texas - Vice President