Portable Steel Targets

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Portable Steel Targets

#1 Post by aasoverteakettle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am

I wanted to share my design for portable steel targets. Please steal this idea if you have a similar range situation.

I want to shoot more steel, but my range can't seem to maintain them when they install them permanently, people steal or abuse them. So I decided to make my own. I don't have a big truck (or even a big car). And I don't want to be lugging a ton of stuff to the range. Below are photos of my solution, version 1. Pretty self explanatory. Both the rebar and four sticks are 4' long.

The main issue to be solved is keeping the chains separated on the rebar. After a few 9mm shots, they come together.
Attachments
IMG_5650.jpeg
IMG_3285.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Portable Steel Targets

#2 Post by ErikO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 am

Try installing cable clamps to limit how far the chains can move.

This is a great idea for portable steel targets. :)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

321FLSurfer
Grizzled Veteran

#3 Post by 321FLSurfer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm

I was going to suggest medium sized binder clips to limit the chain travel. Dope setup, I likey! Might have to get you to record a little how-to for the pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

EastSideBadDad
Helpful Contributor

#4 Post by EastSideBadDad » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Very cool! You could even spot weld the chains in place without limiting the mobility a great deal. I might be stealing this idea...
It is entirely possible to both love guns and shooting, AND support sane, responsible, root cause gun legislation.

Bisbee
Loquacious

#5 Post by Bisbee » Thu May 17, 2018 2:59 am

I like it. Efficient design and easy to make with hand tools.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Mikeinmich
Been around awhile

#6 Post by Mikeinmich » Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm

brandonsmash used to make awesome brackets for portable targets (I have one of his last sets).

Mikeinmich
Been around awhile

#7 Post by Mikeinmich » Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Those are cool, BTW. I can't stand how the ones that are offered pre-made are all so short, so you shoot into the ground and can't see them over tall grass. I get the whole "squirrels are short" thing but its not as much fun as having targets up higher. And I like the welding idea if its not too much trouble for you to do, because it seems like the whole bar could just pivot the way you have it set up

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#8 Post by aasoverteakettle » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am

Glad everyone likes them. Steal away.

Updates after 4 range sessions:
- I ended up taping the chains to the bar with Gorilla tape. Works great.
- Welding the rebar to the chains is a good idea, but limits the portability. Currently, I am keeping the targets in my range crate (yup, my range bag is a modified a milk crate) and strapping the bar and studs together for easy carry. If the bar and targets were welded, it would be harder to carry.
- The question of slipping between the bar and wood was one of my main concerns, and a question some folks had at the range. But I drilled the holes in the wood to twice the diameter of the rebar, thereby allowing for a sturdy trapezoidal shape. The friction between the bumpy rebar and the wood eliminates and slipping.

sorebutton
Helpful Contributor

#9 Post by sorebutton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 am

I made something similar, but metal pipes from Lowe's plumbing section. Threaded ends and 90° connectors make it easy to assemble. A pair of big stakes to pound in the ground hold it up, it just slips right over em

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#10 Post by aasoverteakettle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 pm

sorebutton wrote:I made something similar, but metal pipes from Lowe's plumbing section. Threaded ends and 90° connectors make it easy to assemble. A pair of big stakes to pound in the ground hold it up, it just slips right over em

That sounds like a good durable metal option. Seems heavier and more expensive for much better durability, but still checks the portable box. I will try that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorebutton
Helpful Contributor

#11 Post by sorebutton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 pm

I tried thick pvc for the uprights, just to save weight and cost. The very first day a shot deflected enough to put a hole in one, and then it snapped. Oops.
I found some clamps near the chain that hold the targets to the cross pipe pretty well.