Any Plum Brown finish users?

I have an RIA 1911 compact that I've done all sorts of mean stuff to and now I want to put a brown antique-like finish on it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137718 ... -oz-liquid

I've used cold blueing on small parts and knifes with limited success and see no reason to try to do an entire gun. The brown involves heat so just slightly more complex than squirt & rub.

Any hands-on experience with this stuff?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Any Plum Brown finish users?

I've used it and you are required to completely degrease it and then you heat the part up to 275 degrees, apply and repeat till you get the desired depth of brown. After doing 3 muzzle loaders I found that a final heating followed up with an application of WD40 produces a very nice chocolate color. Best to use rubber gloves even finger prints on the metal will show through. The directions on the jar are good, before the WD40 treatment a baking soda treatment will neutralize any acids in the browning regent.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Any Plum Brown finish users?

OP: Did you ever do this refinish?

Plum Brown is really no different than a rust blue. Boil the brown between coats, and you get blue.

Here're some photos of a saga that I converted to an under folder and then rust-blued with Plum Brown:

Before boiling each coat.

After boiling each coat.
We'll know America is truly free when we read in the press a glowing account of a married gay couple having defended their legal pot plants with a legal sub-machinegun. What we have until then mocks liberty.