Bikes and guns revisited.

Alright, I took a step forward with specialized gear for packin' heat while riding. Behold, the lowly Camelbak:
bag.jpg
Now, behold the kydex holster from Green Force Tactical....note the color match; I cut Chris at GFT loose to do the colors as he saw fit (the guy is a human spectrograph. He matched the colors perfectly).
camelbak4.jpg
This is a right-handed bag holster (it comes with velcro on the back to stick in any of the fanny packs w/ a velcro backing) with the draw angle customized so that I can draw it from the bag left-handed. Kinda bucks the small-of-back philosophy of having your pistol present butt-first but I worked with the bag for a while and found that it's next to impossible to draw it like you would a traditional SOB.

Here's a shot of the bag, inside-out with the mating velcro loops sewn in. The velcro is adhesive but I thought I'd better stitch it as well. All the holster makers here may now laugh at my primitive work.
camelbak.jpg
And here's a picture of the holster stuck to the velcro inside my bag w/ the Glock.
camelbak3.jpg
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: Bikes and guns revisited.

shinzen wrote:Nice work- is that a retention holster or no? I very much so despise my expensive kydex retention holder and would like to get something different.
Thanks! The holster has no retention hardware. It was tight when I got it but Chris walked me through heating it with a hair drier around the trigger guard to loosen it a bit. That seemed to do the trick.

A note on the material choice.....I went with Kydex because it's a Glock. I want that trigger COVERED.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Cool project and good work

My concerns on doing something like this are:

If this is for a bicycle I fear I would open up on some A-Hole driver like twice a day
Eventually the Fuzz will take issue with that I bet :hmm:

And on the dirt bike, I really don't want to land on a Glock! Last year I broke my Clavicle on the Ram-mount for my GPS :)

xymotic wrote:Cool project and good work

My concerns on doing something like this are:

If this is for a bicycle I fear I would open up on some A-Hole driver like twice a day
Eventually the Fuzz will take issue with that I bet :hmm:

And on the dirt bike, I really don't want to land on a Glock! Last year I broke my Clavicle on the Ram-mount for my GPS :)
Guns and anger management are an excellent combination. :cool:

Still, as a former bicycle commuter, I sympathize with the impulse.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

xymotic wrote:
Nobody told you to wear the clavicle holster that day! Sheesh :D Are you ok now? That sounds really damn painful.

I figure that the location is well padded in case I actually tumble onto my back. Remember that there's also a water bag behind the holster.

AdamHH wrote:This is awesome.
Can you draw without removing the backpack? After unzipping the zipper of course ... I guess a better question would be; can you open the backpack without removing it? And then draw? :)

Thanks! I can draw while it's on my back. The zipper is a pain in the ass though. I might replace the zipper with breakaway velcro. I'll let my daughter sew that because she knows how to work the sewing machine.

shinzen wrote:I can't tell from the pics, do you have a loop on the zipper to make it easier to grab?

There's a tab on the zipper and it's easy to grab but it's the horizontal motion that's such a problem. Maybe I can keep the zipper but add a velcro aperture behind it for drawing? Gotta ponder how engineer it so that a downward thrust of the hand leads right to the pistol.

judgepacker wrote:
shinzen wrote:I can't tell from the pics, do you have a loop on the zipper to make it easier to grab?

There's a tab on the zipper and it's easy to grab but it's the horizontal motion that's such a problem. Maybe I can keep the zipper but add a velcro aperture behind it for drawing? Gotta ponder how engineer it so that a downward thrust of the hand leads right to the pistol.
You could easily avoid all these issues if you'd just drive a damn car like a REAL American!
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

judgepacker wrote:

If there are no concerns over having it fall out, do you even need velcro? Could you just sew on a weather flap or something?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Mason wrote:You could easily avoid all these issues if you'd just drive a damn car like a REAL American!
Hahahaha right?!

Seriously though; if it's a dual zipper, you could ride with the backpack open a smidge at the top center so you could just plunge your hand through the aperture. (Sorry, I just wanted to use the word aperture.)

If it's a single zip, you could replace it with a double zip!

If there are no concerns over having it fall out, do you even need velcro? Could you just sew on a weather flap or something?
I'd like it to be able to pass casual inspection but that might work.

If it's a single zip, you could replace it with a double zip!
That too! Still thinking about the best way forward.