Which FAL Kit Would You Buy and Why?

I'm going to take the plunge in buying an FAL kit. I was hoping an FAL expert or at least an experienced FAL'er would have some advice. From my research I have gotten the impression metric patterns are best b/c they are easiest to get mags for. It seems kits with factory barrels are best if they aren't shot out, but how do you know the barrel you buy is going to be in good condition? Any thoughts?
"I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat!"

Re: Which FAL Kit Would You Buy and Why?

With parts kit barrel, the newly imported ones have to be demilled for compliance issues. So your first priority is to find one with an intact barrel. Building a metric rifle takes away the the ability to use both inch and metric magazines. So it's really up to you what you want. The good thing about kit builds is it lets you (like in model building) "kit bash" parts so long as they are of the same general specs.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

If I did it again, I'd probably buy from SARCO. I'd go with a metric kit (I did inch the first time) this time & I'd buy a new barrel instead.

Get a US made receiver for parts count issues. DSA is good, Century is acceptable but will require more work, the rest, avoid. If you can find an Imbel one go ahead, but remember your US parts count for 922a compliance.

Avoid TAPCO parts at all costs!!!!! Buy from Sarco or DS Arms instead. I have heard bad things about Coonan in the past. They may be better but I would prefer to avoid finding out.

Find some US made wood furniture if you can.

PM me your email address - I have a pdf on smithing the FAL you'll want to have.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

M4, are you saying the inch pattern FALs take both inch and metric mags?

wlewisiii, thanks for the info on the Coonans. That was the route I was going to go. Did you end up with a bad barrel in your kit, is that why you would prefer a new barrel? I have bought a few minor things from Tapco and wasn't impressed.
"I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat!"

The barrel I got wasn't that bad but given the money and time invested, I'd rather get a factory new barrel instead. There were some nice NOS Imbel barrels floating around for example or DS Arms sells good ones.

In theory an Inch receiver can use both inch and metric mags. Real world? Rarely. Just get a metric reciever and buy good brand new US made mags. They'll cost more but will function much better.

I wish I had the money to do another build.

OTOH, I noticed in that SARCO ad that they still have BM59 kits... argh!

I II III - simply how much lightening was done during manufacturing. It's not really relevant unless you're going for a historically accurate reproduction. Ye ol' FrankenFAL? Don't worry. I'd get one cut for the handle and put one on but I always found that handy. Not everyone does.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I have been building FALs and helping friends do them for many years, all in all I have over a dozen builds under me. The thing with FALs is not "Which FAL kit is best" it is "Which FAL kit is best for ME".

First to pick is inch or metric.

Metric is the most common, and there are tons of parts every where. There are also numerous variations in the metric realm.

Inch while less common, is still doable once you know where to look for things. Inch has far less variations than metric, however the inch versions tend to have a more "thought out" quality to them. Bits that would poke you while marching fold over, the HTS is far easier to take apart, it has the sand cuts, etc.

Once you have picked one then you have to pick which variant you want. Some of the more common metric variants are, G1, STG-58, 50.00, 50.61, 50.62 50.63, 50.64, Argie, Izzy and HB. If you pick inch there is early brit, early aussie. canadian, indian, late aussie, late brit, and L2A1. You can build any of these, as long as your pockets are deep enough. The bog standard basic FAL is the 50.00 w/T3 which could be easily accomplished by an imbel kit. I am personally partial to early brits/aussies, G-1's, and 50.61's.

Also only inch pattern receivers can take both inch and metric mags, there are a lot of people who do inch kits on metric receivers. Please not I do not recommend using metric mags in inch receivers, as they are not as reliable as using inch on inch.

I sort of scatter shot that whole thing, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

shinzen wrote:How did I miss this thread? If you do start your build, or Nato, if you do another one, I'd love to see the process/challenges/etc posted up here. I'm a nerd for this kind of thing and may build one down the road.
I have 3 kits left (A G-1, a early brit and another 50.61), I am planing to do How-to's for all three inch, metric, and para (Similar style as the Luger how to thread I did), as the process is a bit different and I know inch is not all that well documented.

I have not yet placed an order with SARCO for anything, wisdom that has been handed to me (from folks who I know, not just Internet Rumor) is that the best way to get parts from them is to GO TO THEM. I have my eye on a Norwegian-like slide stop for 1911's which I obviously would not drive all the way to PA for (it's less than $30).

When I build a .308 rifle, it will be an inch FAL. :)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:I have not yet placed an order with SARCO for anything, wisdom that has been handed to me (from folks who I know, not just Internet Rumor) is that the best way to get parts from them is to GO TO THEM. I have my eye on a Norwegian-like slide stop for 1911's which I obviously would not drive all the way to PA for (it's less than $30).

When I build a .308 rifle, it will be an inch FAL. :)
As someone who has dealt with sarco many times, you are very correct.