Machine tool access

Not sure where to start when setting up your third world small-scale AK factory?

http://makezine.com/projects/the-multim ... milldrill/
You just need a metalworking lathe. Metalworking lathes are necessary to the production of almost everything but are very expensive. In 1915, special lathes made from concrete were developed to quickly and cheaply produce millions of cannon shells needed for World War I. Lucien Yeomans, the inventor, won the nation’s highest engineering award for it but sadly the technique was almost forgotten after the war. We re-discovered it as a way to quickly make inexpensive but accurate machine tools for use in developing countries and in trade schools and shops everywhere. We made modern construction practical by replacing the original poured, non shrinking metal with cement grout.
3D printer my ass.

Re: Machine tool access

Fukshot wrote:Not sure where to start when setting up your third world small-scale AK factory?
Wish someone would. I wouldn't mind seeing sub $500 AK's again. Lately, I've gotten in my head that I should pick up a AK74 pattern rifle, but not the money for it.

People really discount human ingenuity. If enough people decide they want something, it will exist despite laws.
Meh.

Re: Machine tool access

Fukshot wrote:Current prices are still way cheaper than I would charge for my time making them sloppily with primitive tools and materials.
There you go, crushing my flight of fancy.

There is a part of me that would really like to start playing around with metalworking. One of the many hobbies I would like to have. Damn you time and money.
Meh.