Temporary build up of front sight

I'm (hopefully and finally) getting my m39 back from the smith today where I had it D&Td for an aperture sight.

The new sight is quit a bit higher, so I'm going to have to replace the front sight. But I'd like to shoot it this weekend to determine how high the new sight needs to be.

Normally, I'd go out and shoot at my sighting in target, go home and figure out from how high it was what size sight I should order.

But I'd like to be able to actually shoot it, since tomorrow is the SoCal meet&shoot.

My two thoughts are to epoxy a flat piece of plastic (ground down CD?) to the top of the sight, and take along a file to adjust it, or to epoxy an insulated piece of wire to the front and use wire clippers for the adjustment.

The sight, aside from the ramp, will probably go in the trash, so screwing it up isn't an issue.

Any thoughts?

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Re: Temporary build up of front sight

You can do a search for m39 "front sight" and at the top you will see come commercial ads, and if you look through for sale forums on guns, you'll find some.

Now, on the top of your barrel near the front sight, there will be some numbers like 7.9. Then on top the blade of the front sight you will see numbers. The ones on the barrel and the ones on the sight should match, because they refer to the height of the front sight blade as determined by the Finnish armorers.

I have some sights. Everyone wants taller ones. I might have one taller than yours, so tell me your numbers.

The epoxy thing is OK, but a little patience will reward you with the proper part. Until then, you can put a piece of masking tape on the target down low so as to find how the point of aim compares to the point of impact.

Let me know what you have and I might have something.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

That'd be great if it was a post sight. It's a blade on a dovetailed ramp.

Might grind it short enough that I can fit some heat shrink over it. Hmm.

CD - I'm planning on getting a Williams firesight for the front. This is just temporary so I can have fun shooting it over the weekend.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Well, please check the numbers on the blade sight before you go a'grindin' on it. If it's a nine or above (7.9 is the height in millimeters) I'll buy it from you or trade you a sabre toothed camel fitted with a turret. Yeah: they're that hard to find.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I had a similar problem years ago, with a Sig 210. I had bought it with NO front sight (!), and managed to acquire one that fit into the dovetail, but was way too low. So I took it out, and using a plumbing torch and some brazing solder (hard- or silver solder), built up the sacrificial front sight with a few layers of solder. The nice thing about solder is that (a) it sticks to steel, (b) you can file it down easily, and (c) if you file it too low, you can build it back up. Eventually, I obtained the correct hight front sight from the factory (took some doing).

For just testing it for an afternoon, I like the idea of attaching a piece of wire or heatshrink, and clipping it until it fits.