John Browning hates me...

I'm doing an action job on my 1892. Going great, until I try and reassemble the extractor.

WTF???? Was John Browning like the Steve Jobs of his day? Between this, my old Browning SA22 and my Remington 1148, it's pretty apparent that Browning did everything in his power to make your life a living hell if you ever decided to disassemble one of his guns. Surprised he didn't use proprietary screws like Apple does.

You need 5 appendages (three of which better be needle nosed pliers) to get his shit back together.

:evilmad: :x

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: John Browning hates me...

The pin to hold in the extractor (IIRC) is difficult to line up because the extractor is under tension in it's resting position once installed. Correct?

If you use a crescent wrench with the jaws wrapped in tape as a compression vise, you can get the holes lined up and get the pin in. Use a smaller pin as a leverage tool to line up the holes before putting the actual pin in.

...and Robert is your mother's brother.

ooohhhh....I like! I was going to try and use a paperclip to bind everything until I could get the clip in.

When putting the lever spring in, I used a thin piece of plywood, stuck in my vice. Drill a small hole and used the wood to leverage the spring closed until I could re-pin it. Then I just hacked the plywood off.

Done!

I used a thin piece of wire as a shim inside the recoil spring to get everything into position. Then used a dummy round to keep tension until the lever pivot pin was replaced.

:yahoo:

Buttery smooth action now. I might have to replace one or more springs BACK to stock. Trigger pull is like 4 lbs and if I had a cavalry lever, the spring wouldn't be able to hold it up.

Also, after cycling about 50 dummy rounds, I know why top loaders have strong eject springs. That shit wants to go right back into the receiver if you're shooting up or down.

I might of over-tuned! :blink: Will shoot tomorrow...luckily the stock eject spring is relatively easy to go in.

Right now though...it feels CASS ready!