Re: I'm refinishing a S&W 686 w Duracoat-in-a-can

judgepacker wrote:
nigel wrote:Austin, bring it on. I see a Duracoat JC Higgins Model 88 in my future. Where do I buy the rattle can?
Oh hell, sorry I didn't see that you asked a question earlier. I get my stuff straight from the tap:

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/

You can order their products from elsewhere but you won't save a whole lot of money. Plus these people are really nice to deal with, especially when you have technical questions about using their stuff. Some day I want to go to Duracoat University.

I'm about to sandblast the 686. I don't have a photographer here to work the camera so I'm having to stop and do my own pictures. At the same time I'm working on a name plate for my car so I'm also playing with regular spray paint. So far, a good day!
This is the stuff I used on my VZ-58 build. Good stuff, and will turn out even better in JP's hands
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: I'm refinishing a S&W 686 w Duracoat-in-a-can

Simmer down wrote:Do you have a sandblaster in your underground lair or do send this stuff out?
I have an abrasive gun and a compressor. So long as I don't have to strip paint or rust it works great for giving a nice porous surface to metal. The wildcard here is that I'm working on stainless steel for the first time. I just finished the blasting and it looks good so far but we'll see when it's painted.

Waiting for the metal to come back to room temperature (it's 48 degrees out). Paint soon.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.