Help me diagnose what's going on....I suspect limp-wristing

So I took my friend out shooting. She's never shot a handgun before tonight. The 1911 choked on her a few times but I think it's the shitty mag springs (still original).

The real issue was the Glock 19 and the Beretta 92. In a few cases, both of them failed to completely go back into battery or lock open on the last round (no real stovepipes). She has tiny hands and I suspect that she was limp wristing but I'm wondering what else it could be? Both guns behaved for me.

Oh, and the shitty pistol scope I had on my AR scout-scope style.....it's a total POS. I also managed to drop the AR so the hood on the canted front sight is all f-ed up. Otherwise, the gun runs like a top.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: Help me diagnose what's going on....I suspect limp-wrist

fknauss wrote:Have I mentioned starting with a .22?
Yeah, I must admit I started her with these guns from a historical perspective.....she saw the Blackhawk and has expressed a major interest in shooting it so I guess I didn't start my history lesson far enough back.

Having watched her pull the trigger on an empty chamber due to the lack of last-round-hold-open, I'm confident the's not anticipating recoil.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

It's been over 20 years since I started shooting, so I don't remember super well. But I do remember it wasn't as easy as I expected, and (since I'd gotten a Glock) I was worried about limp wristing, so I went into death grip mode, I did every bad habit you can have with anticipating recoil and flinching.

Even with a .22, there are enough things for a newbie to work on without worrying about your body's involuntary response to the bang bang.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

TheViking wrote:Got a Walther P22 or can you borrow one? It has a much smaller grip and shorter trigger reach than any of the other guns so it may well work better for her.
I have a MkIII. Otherwise I'm sure there's a P22 on the rental wall (they have a ridiculous amount of rental guns).