Brass Bag

So, I had an idea today. We will see if it turns out to be as useful as I hope.

I usually have a bag to collect my empty brass at the range. Sometimes I use gallon ziplocks. Sometimes an old canvas shot bag. When I've got a bit of brass in the bottom for weight, I can usually roll the edges of the bag to make it stand up and conveniently dump the brass in the open mouth. Today I decided to try making a bag that would stand open even when it's empty. Looks promising so far, even if I had to cobble together a couple of scraps for the bottom of the prototype. I took inspiration from my favorite canvas tool bucket. Happy to answer questions, but I think the pics speak for themselves.
bag standing.jpg
bag bottom.jpg

Re: Brass Bag

My jumbo range bag from Midway came with a small bag for brass collection that has a sturdy mesh bottom. The idea is to let dirt you pick up with the brass fall through the bottom.

Not sure if you can work a mesh bottom into your design, but just a thought.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Hmm. Is there a virtue to a bag that stands like this for brass gathered from the ground? I suppose the center of the wood base could be cut out and replaced with hardware cloth or perforated sheet of some kind.

The copper tacks were a quarter more and don't rust.

Fukshot wrote:Hmm. Is there a virtue to a bag that stands like this for brass gathered from the ground?
Ah, I momentarily forgot that wheelgun shooters' brass doesn't touch the ground!
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Fukshot wrote:So, I had an idea today. We will see if it turns out to be as useful as I hope.

I usually have a bag to collect my empty brass at the range. Sometimes I use gallon ziplocks. Sometimes an old canvas shot bag. When I've got a bit of brass in the bottom for weight, I can usually roll the edges of the bag to make it stand up and conveniently dump the brass in the open mouth. Today I decided to try making a bag that would stand open even when it's empty. Looks promising so far, even if I had to cobble together a couple of scraps for the bottom of the prototype. I took inspiration from my favorite canvas tool bucket. Happy to answer questions, but I think the pics speak for themselves.
bag standing.jpg
bag bottom.jpg
That's a hell of a lot fancier than my gallon zip lock bag :beer2: