Cycling while carrying

Anyone bicycle commute and / or mountain bike while carrying? If so, I would love some suggestions on what works best and what doesn't.

Also, what are good handguns for this?....weight vs firepower.....and so on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I feel like the only liberal who supports gun ownership and the right to carry a firearm.

Re: Cycling while carrying

Much depends on where. I used to keep an AMT Backup in my handlebar bag so's I could take it with me when going into a restaurant, etc. I'm no fan of open carry, but if you're mountain biking out in the weeds and feel the need, check out what bicycle cops are using.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Mason wrote:Unless you're mountain biking in Alaska or Syria, why?
Some of the bike and jogging trails are secluded and can be more dangerouse when it's dark.

I don't carry when biking (well actually I don't carry anywhere) but I'm a bigger male in a relatively safe area. Most of the problems on trails are geared towards women jogging before or after work as the daylight gets shorter.

I've also heard of people biking and hiking out in the countryside or mountains having problems with packs of stray dogs.
Brian

Some mountain bike trails, like Theodore Wirth here in Minneapolis, are in urban areas. Most of our bikes are very expensive and thus cyclists are often times targets.......both commuting and mountain biking in some areas.

I feel like the only liberal who supports gun ownership and the right to carry a firearm.

manual63 wrote:
Some mountain bike trails, like Theodore Wirth here in Minneapolis, are in urban areas. Most of our bikes are very expensive and thus cyclists are often times targets.......both commuting and mountain biking in some areas.

My wife rides her [expensive] bike at night because it makes her feel safer than walking. Bikes are generally stolen while parked. Getting attacked by anything other than a dog, which are pretty easy to out ride or kick in the face, while cycling is pretty damn rare. I find it rather comical that someone would spend a ton of money for a light bike and then add several pounds of probably pointless weight to hit a trail that has previously done them no harm.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Inquisitor wrote:
Intro thread mentions creepers due to wife fame.
True......but my I would feel silly if I had the right to carry but didn't when some incident happened. I know the likelihood of ever needing to use it will never happen ( and hopefully it doesn't ).

I guess I feel it's an all or nothing cause.

It's like not bringing any money with me because I don't plan on buying anything. But what if I saw the perfect organic hot dog on a gluten free bun? Then what? I gotta run home to get cash?

Mason wrote:
manual63 wrote:

My wife rides her [expensive] bike at night because it makes her feel safer than walking. Bikes are generally stolen while parked. Getting attacked by anything other than a dog, which are pretty easy to out ride or kick in the face, while cycling is pretty damn rare. I find it rather comical that someone would spend a ton of money for a light bike and then add several pounds of probably pointless weight to hit a trail that has previously done them no harm.
I think each person has a right to make this call for themselves. I am not on here to debate whether I should carry or not. I am asking questions on how it is best done.

If open carrying, I would go for the type of shoulder rigs hunters wear. Simply rugged makes some nice leather ones. I think Uncle Mike sells nylon ones.

For CCW while riding? Absent a fanny pack or some sort modification to a hydration pack, I'm at a loss.

I personally wouldn't feel safe CCWing "off-body" with the gun on the bike somewhere, but YMMV.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

As far away from sweat as possible and stainless steel is probably a good idea. I don't know if they make holsters for the back pocket riding shirts. A small pocket gun would work there, but I'd want it secured and not just thrown in with other stuff.

I'd be a little afraid of crashing and all that entails. Secure, secure, and nothing in the chamber.

Maybe get a friend to come with you. :D:

Brian

inomaha wrote:As far away from sweat as possible and stainless steel is probably a good idea. I don't know if they make holsters for the back pocket riding shirts. A small pocket gun would work there, but I'd want it secured and not just thrown in with other stuff.

I'd be a little afraid of crashing and all that entails. Secure, secure, and nothing in the chamber.

Maybe get a friend to come with you. :D:

Lol

manual63 wrote:
Mason wrote:
manual63 wrote:

I think each person has a right to make this call for themselves. I am not on here to debate whether I should carry or not. I am asking questions on how it is best done.

Don't take Mason too personally ;)

good question. always interested in seeing different opinions/options.

some past conversations:
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 13&t=24976
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =11&t=7657
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =1&t=22223
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 12&t=31547

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Inquisitor wrote:
And you, good sir, are a sight.
:wave: